Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bates17

Curious, whats still in service from WW2?

30 posts in this topic

As in equipement that was in use throughout the second world war.

as in a actualy millatary, not a milltant group or something, an actual milltary, goverment funded force?

What i can think off

M1911 (american pistol)

Bofors 40mm AA gun

Russian T-34s ?(not sure)

The C-47 (or rather, turboprop conversions of it) is still in military service a few places in South America.

Rifles converted to modern ammo? In another post they showed in rumania war in the 90 they were using a 88ATG.

Rifles converted to modern ammo? In another post they showed in rumania war in the 90 they were using a 88ATG.

No, still with the 7.92 Kurz, a pain to find

Are the Chileans still using Shermans with the ultravelocity guns?

There might also be Panhard armored cars in service in ex-French African countries, i.e. Ivory Coast.

Are the Chileans still using Shermans with the ultravelocity guns?

There might also be Panhard armored cars in service in ex-French African countries, i.e. Ivory Coast.

I think the 60mm Shermans only squeezed out another decade of service, and were all gone by 2000.

T34 is common, PPSH is around alot as well. browing M2 although i think thats more WW1, bren was till recently and might still be in some smaller older countries.

the T34s engine is in the T55 so thats a commonly used thing :P

Panhard armored car in Africa Countries are post war models (AML mostly)

The Canadian Forces' standard service pistol has been the 9 mm Browning HP since 1944.

The Canadian Rangers' (Reserve force of Inuit troops in the Arctic) service rifle is the Lee Enfield No.4 Mk.1.

The Canadian Navy still uses plenty of .50 inch Browning M2s.

In 1990, when I did my national service in the Greek Navy, we had Lee Enfields for basic and parade training, and M1s, Thomsons and .45s as standard issue for land duty and practice fire.

I did a stint in Nafkratousa, a base ship for amphibious operations, which used to be USS Rashmore and, I believe, had taken part in the D-day landings (it was decommissioned a couple of years later though). A fair number of twin Bofors on board. Many landing, mine-laying and auxiliary vessels were from that time as well

India was using Lee Enfield rifles until recently, maybe they even still do in some units even if they have been largely modernised now.

Duece and a Half is still in use in the U.S., not very widely. Also, some spec ops snipers still use the M1 with a M84 mounted on it. We still have a few other things lying around.

really? like what?

Binoculars, compasses, stretchers, jungle machetes to name a few..

The Browning hi-power is still in use and i'd bet some of those are WWII vintage.

apparently there's still a lot of WWII vintage stuff packed away as war reserve items. A good mate of mine who spent time as an RQMS a couple of years back, got a handle of stocks of WWII vintage commando fighting knifes being held in stores. As a commando he tried to order a few through the system...no chance.

The point is, if it's good kit why get rid of it?

FN HP handgun (GP35) still in use in the Belgian Army, British Army, Indian Army, Australian Defence Force, Argentine Army, Luxembourg Army, Israel Police, Singapore Armed Forces and Venezuelan Army, among others.

The Irish Army replaced its Browning Pistols (known popularly as BAPs, or Browning Automatic Pistols) with the H&K USP automatic in 2007.

browning_hp_6.jpg

During the WW2, it have been used by both sides.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Browning_Hi-Power

FN HP handgun (GP35) still in use in the Belgian Army, British Army, Indian Army, Australian Defence Force, Argentine Army, Luxembourg Army, Israel Police, Singapore Armed Forces and Venezuelan Army, among others.

The Irish Army replaced its Browning Pistols (known popularly as BAPs, or Browning Automatic Pistols) with the H&K USP automatic in 2007.

browning_hp_6.jpg

During the WW2, it have been used by both sides.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Browning_Hi-Power

Browning HP-35...my carry gun for many years, until I went to the modern version of it (in .40 S&W). I've owned many guns, nothing ever fit my hand as well as that old Hi-Power. It holds a place in my heart like no other.

The venerable 1911A1 pistol is still in service in several countries.

The "duece and a half" 2-1/2 ton truck will probably be around as long as we have fuel for it.

The "Ma Deuce" .50 Caliber Heavy Machinegun (M2HB) is still in service.

The old 75mm "pack howitzers" are still around, but only as saluting cannons.

The "Four deuce" 4.2 inch mortar (M2) is still in service in many countries, as is it's smaller cousin the 81mm mortar.

Finnish Defence Forces still has at least ww2 AA distance gauging scope thingies (swastikas painted over).

Also 7.62 Tkiv 85 designated marksman/sniper rifle are modified(more or less) Mosin-Nagant rifles. Some of them still have original receivers from 1910s-1940s.

Most of the old stuff was gotten rid of in the 80s tho.

North Korea is still using T34 i believe.

The Canadian Forces' standard service pistol has been the 9 mm Browning HP since 1944.

The Canadian Rangers' (Reserve force of Inuit troops in the Arctic) service rifle is the Lee Enfield No.4 Mk.1.

The Canadian Navy still uses plenty of .50 inch Browning M2s.

The browning is actually standard issue in a tonne of countries

I know this is a little after the stated date of 1945, but the last active airctaft to have been part of postwar "Bomber Command" was retired by the RAF, the Canberra.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0