Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kwinkydink

Duo core 3.0 ghz or intel i7 920+?

19 posts in this topic

I bought my i7 @ best buy

Its made by ASUS .......9 gigs of ram ...nvidia 260gtx vid card core i7 920 running at 2.66 gig X 4

Ive seen this system fps spike near 400fps and get as low as 40 but average is near 100

It cost me a bunch ......but ya get what ya pay for most of the time

This core i7 is the most impressive pc ive ever bought ever it runs the game in vista like my old amd used to in xp

I would hate to see what this machine could do if it WAS xp instead of vista

i7 here and I'm satisfied. With processors It's always better to get the fastest, especially with this game.

Well you're paying a lot more at the end of the day for RAM and the mainboard, but the mainboard is much more upgradable in terms of RAM, (6 slots vs 4), the throughput on the RAM is better as well.

Future games will utilize the i7 and it's architecture (mulithreading) more than the older 3.0ghz CPU as well. Since the i7 920 comes at 2.66 ghz, it's more than worth it to get a good cooler and a good exhaust/intake fan.

It is not ridiculous at all to get it up to 4.0ghz stable without a watercooler.

Mine is still at stock clock, but no doubt one day I'll get a decent cooler and see what I can get it to do, probably around the same time I set up SLI with a second GTX 260, and upgrade the RAM to 9.0 Gbs. BTW, go with 6 gigs, going cheap and buying 3 was fine 8 months ago, but it's cheaper now to get 6.

Tests has showed that you wont get much extra for your money wioth the I7 in regard to gaming. MB, ram and CPU are expensive and you dont get extra FPS in gaming generally. The I7 is suoperior in many other areas, but not really gaming.

If you want a gaming rig, you will get by far the best performance for your money (and FPS pr./dollar) by going for a quad core 9500, 9600 series or core 2 duo E8600, and OC the shat out of it. The E8600 will go to 4ghz on a top aircooler, the 9500 will go to 3,6-3,8 ghz.

Its also quite easy to see from tests that you dont get much extra fps for your money going for the expensive dd3 ram. Instead, go for ddr2 ram with low latency (CL-rating)- they will perform pretty much as good as the expensive ddr3 ram clocked higher- also tested (the issue with the expensive ram is that ram doesent scale very well).

So, basically, if you want a gaming rig, and dont have unlimited ressources, I would go for a decent gigabyte mainboard, a Q 9550 or Q9600, a monster air cooler, 4 gigs of DDR2 ram running 800mhz with low latency.

Well the I7 will be the better processor, faster memory, motherboard etc but....

How much that gives you ingame may not be worth the extra money you have to spend.

Get a E8500 wolfdale or E8600 core 2 duo and they are nearly half the price of an i7. (maybe more if you look at higher ends).

The MB and memory are much cheaper and you cna use same graphics card in both.

So if you want a very good gaming rig for not too much then core 2 duo is the way. If you have a good budget then the i7 will last longer may not give huge amounts of improvement for this game but will cost more.

Check out the benchmark comparisions. Currently I don't think they are worth the extra cash for games. Means you can spend more on a top graphics card, but again depends on your budget.

Doch, why would you recommend a quad core cpu for ww2ol?

I'm no expert in the matter and more than happy to be put right on the subject, but my understanding is that ww2ol doesn't directly support multi-cores in any major way(and there is nothing immediately coming up which will change that).

Additionally, the main advantage to having multi-cores is that you can, for example, run 2 CPU intensive apps at once, taking advantage of the parallel nature of our OS's, with much less slowdown than with a single core cpu.

Rather than get a quad core, it therefore seems to make much more sense simply to reduce the number of other apps that are likely to be running.

Badly written software has a habit of taking all the CPU cycles money can buy, and chewing them up. Thus you'll find that some crappy toolbar for your browser, a poorly chosen virus checker, or even some OS services that get started automatically will happily cause slowdowns for your ww2ol on even the most expensive rig.

My advice would be for people to really look at what apps and services are running on their systems before they think an upgrade is required. Furthermore, I can't see any advantage of paying for a quad core for ww2ol, unless of course you've a specific need to have several other CPU intensive apps running in the background. Personally I'll take a dual core, save my cash(or get a faster dual core for my money) and ensure that my windows doesn't load a ton of unnecessary crap when it boots.

The i7 can be overclocked to the moon with a $50 cooler.

Stock cooler will go over 3ghz.

While true of the i7 920 the i7 like my 975 needs some major cooling but once you have it 3Dmark has plenty of 5+Ghz 975s.

I had to remove my i7 from the water cooler because it couldn't cool the cards and Proc at the same time.

Prolimatech's new Megahalems are HUGE heatsinks designed for the i7, a 120mm fan comes optional and it's a traditonal air flow cooler using heatpipes. (yeah it's real big).

I am going to go with a CoolIT Systems Freezone Elite water and peltier cooler for the proc, phase change is stupid expensive.

Fallsjager

With the i7 your going to need a slightly more expensive X58 board but it's ability to upgrade is major compared to the X38 775 socket boards.

Up to 24 Gigs in triple channel.

I got the Asus P6T7 but I can run 12 Gigs at 2.0Ghz FSB or 1.866Ghz with 24 Gigs, it however is a $420.00 board, most run at 1.6-1.3Ghz and run around $200.

It runs DDR3 memory like most X38 boards do now.

I think what some of you are forgetting is that not every game is WWIIOL, and MANY new games will be supporting, and some already do, multithreading.

GTA IV for instance, does this, and the performance on a Core i7 vs a Dual Core, or even a regular quad core without hyperthreading, at the same frequency - is dramatically better.

The ability to have up to 24 GB of RAM with the X58 boards is nice as well.

Tests has showed that you wont get much extra for your money wioth the I7 in regard to gaming. MB, ram and CPU are expensive and you dont get extra FPS in gaming generally. The I7 is suoperior in many other areas, but not really gaming.

If you want a gaming rig, you will get by far the best performance for your money (and FPS pr./dollar) by going for a quad core 9500, 9600 series or core 2 duo E8600, and OC the shat out of it. The E8600 will go to 4ghz on a top aircooler, the 9500 will go to 3,6-3,8 ghz.

Its also quite easy to see from tests that you dont get much extra fps for your money going for the expensive dd3 ram. Instead, go for ddr2 ram with low latency (CL-rating)- they will perform pretty much as good as the expensive ddr3 ram clocked higher- also tested (the issue with the expensive ram is that ram doesent scale very well).

So, basically, if you want a gaming rig, and dont have unlimited ressources, I would go for a decent gigabyte mainboard, a Q 9550 or Q9600, a monster air cooler, 4 gigs of DDR2 ram running 800mhz with low latency.

That can be true of some Rigs but most single card rigs can't get 40FPS in Crysis (Enthusist settings, 16Xq) max settings at 1920X1080 like mine.

Right now most of that is the 295 and not the X58 board and proc, the 1.8G of the 295 will want some board RAM if your playing graphics intensive shooters, wwiiol not so much.

Water cooled Bloomfields are easily hitting 5.3Ghz marks on some better water coolers.

I hit 18k approx on 3DVantage but I'm not OC'n the proc yet till i get a better cooler and that's only 1 295.

There are some serious 32k scores with 3-295s and peltier or phase change collers getting 5.5Ghz.

All that means little until apps can handle that much proccesing power, I know.

I think what some of you are forgetting is that not every game is WWIIOL, and MANY new games will be supporting, and some already do, multithreading.

Every game IS WWIIOL, because that is the only game that excist :) Ah maybe HOI aswell.

With 1.30 dual accounting have become impossible with my E6850, where the accounts sometimes have taken up 45% of each core and smashed performance. Im no OCer myself, so will try to get a colleague to do it. I have a good cooler, so hope to get it up to 4.0 as i have a X38.

Every game IS WWIIOL, because that is the only game that exist :) Ah maybe HOI aswell.
So true. I gave up on gaming completely, but then found this:cool:.
With 1.30 dual accounting have become impossible with my E6850
I find that hard to believe cause I can run 2 accounts on athlon x2 4200@2.65GHz without any problems. However running 2 accounts with 2GB Ram only really became impossible with 1.30.

I find that hard to believe cause I can run 2 accounts on athlon x2 4200@2.65GHz without any problems. However running 2 accounts with 2GB Ram only really became impossible with 1.30.

:) thats what the task manager tolled me. Under Performance each core were closing full capacity, and Prcesses told me each was draging ~45%.

My cooler was full of dust(a lot), but not sure if the heat should have any affect on such? Clned it just few days ago, but havent checked after that.

Doch' date=' why would you recommend a quad core cpu for ww2ol?.[/quote']

I wouldent, but I thgought the OP may wanted to play others games too. While the quad cores havent shown any significant advantage over equally clocked core duos, I would expect them to win on the longer run- so the quad cores will probably keep your rig alive for longer than a dual core.

I have no doubt that you will find no notoceable difference in ww2-online running a core 2 duo E 8600 (wolfdale) on 3.6 ghz or a similar clocked quad core 9500.

I'm no expert in the matter and more than happy to be put right on the subject, but my understanding is that ww2ol doesn't directly support multi-cores in any major way(and there is nothing immediately coming up which will change that).

I think you are right.

The value of the quad core over the dual core will probably show in a year or so, when new 3d-shoothers and other games arrive. Right now, the difference between the dual core and quad cores are rather marginal, and hardly worth the extra money for the quad core, but who knows what the near future brings.

Additionally, the main advantage to having multi-cores is that you can, for example, run 2 CPU intensive apps at once, taking advantage of the parallel nature of our OS's, with much less slowdown than with a single core cpu.

Rather than get a quad core, it therefore seems to make much more sense simply to reduce the number of other apps that are likely to be running.

I doubt you will be able to see any noticeable difference between a dual core and a quad core. Cmpared to a single core- yes,, but you cant even get those any more I think.

\Fallsjager

With the i7 your going to need a slightly more expensive X58 board but it's ability to upgrade is major compared to the X38 775 socket boards.

Up to 24 Gigs in triple channel.

I got the Asus P6T7 but I can run 12 Gigs at 2.0Ghz FSB or 1.866Ghz with 24 Gigs, it however is a $420.00 board, most run at 1.6-1.3Ghz and run around $200.

It runs DDR3 memory like most X38 boards do now.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9366642&type=product&id=1218092150864

This is what I bought ......Ive never been so confident in a purchase of a pc as this one

I think the motherboard is an x58 but its a micro board ....with the gtx260 it has room for only one as that model is as large as a VHS cassete and takes up BOTH pci express slots

You will have 1 only one pci slot with this mega fast machine but it comes with a 7.1 decent onboard sound ......I put my soundblaster xfi in this slot cant really tell the diffrence between the 2

The micro board the Rampage II asus.....seems outta place in such a gigantic case ....but this pc rocks everthing I can throw at it right outta the box with a vid card driver update its really crazy what this machine can do

Asus fan for life .....hell with HP

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0