Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AHWULF

Smartheap errors and the like

132 posts in this topic

Perfect computer doesn't matter, just getting info on exactly when/where/as what/video card/video driver/memory is helpful.

today, it happened again, this time only spawned in a few times, then while i was in the heat of battle it froze then the error came up. here are some specs

Windows Vista Ultimate

Intel® CORE2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40ghz 2.4ghz

RAM:4094

System Type: 64-bit OS

Nvidia Geforce 9800 gtx/9800 GTX+

nvd3dumx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgt2umx.dll,nvwgf2um

driver version 7.15.11.8250

Application Error Faulting application WW2_sse2.exe, version 1.30.2.255, time stamp 0x4a454df9, faulting module WW2_sse2.exe, version 1.30.2.255, time stamp 0x4a454df9, exception code 0x40000015, fault offset 0x00008845, process id 0x894, application start time 0x01ca18bb0994b4e0.

AHWULF has two suggests for minimizing this error that might help:

1) Set Visible Player Limit to Low

You set this in your in-game Settings tab.

2) Try playing in a lower resolution

Together, these steps reduce memory used and might help until we have a most substantive solution.

Also remember to minimize the number of applications and processes running in the background and perform a thorough virus/spyware scan, just to be safe.

Also remember to minimize the number of applications and processes running in the background and perform a thorough virus/spyware scan, just to be safe.
Bloody hell.

Back when I first started playing MMOs I had to do this everyday when I'd start my comp up to play EQ (and that because my comp was on the lower end of the era).

One thing I really enjoy about WWIIO is kranking up the detail and not having to worry about such things because the graphics are so modest.

Do you absolutely have the latest video driver for your video card?

The latest NVidia Drivers (July 21st) are what I think has caused this for me, if that's the case then I'll have to wait until the next release....

Unless someone can find a site that has older driver releases (like the May or June ones). I've tried but I don't have the time or patience atm to sift through Google.

Edited by beastro

I wonder if the smartheap error is my problem. I'm getting the same error as dakotasv it's just that in my case the game never loads at all. I'm also using 64bit Vista Ultimate.

No. The error reported by smartheap is running out of memory.

Your issues is not being able to load the game to begin with. This is almost always driver related. I suspect there is an issue with the combination of the Nvidia Video Drivers, 64-bit Vista, and the game.

You might try older version of the Nvidia drivers, which you can find here:

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us

If you don't see the "smartheap out of memory dialog" it's not this problem (1.30.2).

I've narrowed it down to virtual memory fragmentation, essentially the 2GB VM limit that windows imposes is being used up, not because the game is asking for too much memory, but that the memory allocation/freeing is causing so many unusable holes that eventually you hit this 2GB virtual address limit. I was able to get it to happen (though it took 30 minutes) and had 1.1GB used by the game, 0.5GB free (but unusable and fragmented), and the rest overhead. From reading a lot on this subject it appears that on XP/Vista you generally can get only 80% of the 2GB limit before you run out. The amount of physical memory is not the problem. Hard to explain VM to people, sorry.

Under 64bit Windows7 (I think) the limit is relaxed to 4GB (as in OSX) so you get fragmentation but it's much hard to run out of 4GB of VM.

You can see the size of the VM for an application if you use Process Explorer (now from Microsoft). Task Manager is dumbed down.

The real fix for this is to identify all the complex mass of memory allocations in the game, and forge a plan to reuse objects, reorder allocation & freeing, and switch to speciality allocators which don't cause fragmentation. 1.31 will have this, as its a long project. 1.30.3 will probably have a bandage that should at least cut down on the problem. The dialog will also go away.

Cutting down on the game resolution and having a smaller vis limit mean less memory allocations/frees and some smaller ones which may reduce the problem from appearing.

Note that choosing "continue" in the dialog guarantees you will either crash right away or soon.

I encountered this bug as well today. The game froze during a battle in Schilde, I had already spawned in about 5 times before the crash.

I haven't encountered this bug before, but I have only been playing the game for a few days since I resubscribed.

Here are some specs:

Windows Vista Business with Service Pack 1, 64bit

Intel E8400 dual core CPU

4gb RAM

ATI 4870 1gb RAM

ATI drivers version 08.12

If you don't see the "smartheap out of memory dialog" it's not this problem (1.30.2).

I've narrowed it down to virtual memory fragmentation, essentially the 2GB VM limit that windows imposes is being used up, not because the game is asking for too much memory, but that the memory allocation/freeing is causing so many unusable holes that eventually you hit this 2GB virtual address limit. I was able to get it to happen (though it took 30 minutes) and had 1.1GB used by the game, 0.5GB free (but unusable and fragmented), and the rest overhead. From reading a lot on this subject it appears that on XP/Vista you generally can get only 80% of the 2GB limit before you run out. The amount of physical memory is not the problem. Hard to explain VM to people, sorry.

Under 64bit Windows7 (I think) the limit is relaxed to 4GB (as in OSX) so you get fragmentation but it's much hard to run out of 4GB of VM.

You can see the size of the VM for an application if you use Process Explorer (now from Microsoft). Task Manager is dumbed down.

The real fix for this is to identify all the complex mass of memory allocations in the game, and forge a plan to reuse objects, reorder allocation & freeing, and switch to speciality allocators which don't cause fragmentation. 1.31 will have this, as its a long project. 1.30.3 will probably have a bandage that should at least cut down on the problem. The dialog will also go away.

Cutting down on the game resolution and having a smaller vis limit mean less memory allocations/frees and some smaller ones which may reduce the problem from appearing.

Note that choosing "continue" in the dialog guarantees you will either crash right away or soon.

Hire that man fulltime!!!

No. The error reported by smartheap is running out of memory.

Your issues is not being able to load the game to begin with. This is almost always driver related. I suspect there is an issue with the combination of the Nvidia Video Drivers, 64-bit Vista, and the game.

You might try older version of the Nvidia drivers, which you can find here:

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us

Thanks Bloo.

I see that they release a new version for August, I'll see if that works and if not I'll try the ones from May and June.

And if those don't work....

i will try to get my computer stats for you guys trying to sort this, but i think by pure and utter accident i have sorted mine and i don't get it anymore!!!

When l logged in last week i went to settings and just decided to try and lower the screen res as i thought maybe that is the problem (because on my home computer i have a funyn screen resolution set)

i couldn't see how to do it so i just clicked ont he button to make it best performance settings (or whatever it's called)

this set it to Low player vis and honesty it has stopped and i have had nothing else since.

I read this today and Bloo has mentioend trying this so maybe i just did what they think could sort it.

of course now i've re-set *Groan* I am now getting an old Sound problem whereby my computer suddenly crashes and restarts, this i used to have, but fiddled about with and sorted, but forgot what i did and now reset it's come back haha, but well that is extremely few and can for now put up with that.

I have just built the following system: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400, 2x 2GB G.SKILL DDR2 1066MHZ, ATI HD4870 512MB, Windows 7 Ultimate RTM

I seem to get this error and general crashes after 20-30 mins of play. I haven't looked into it too deeply but seems to happen when the Standby Memory usage fills up all the Free memory.

I understand Windows 7 is probably not supported by this game yet and there are still teething issues with this OS but just pointing out my issue to help pinpoint the problem.

I will probably dual boot with XP for the meantime if this continues.

I have just built the following system: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400, 2x 2GB G.SKILL DDR2 1066MHZ, ATI HD4870 512MB, Windows 7 Ultimate RTM

I seem to get this error and general crashes after 20-30 mins of play. I haven't looked into it too deeply but seems to happen when the Standby Memory usage fills up all the Free memory.

I understand Windows 7 is probably not supported by this game yet and there are still teething issues with this OS but just pointing out my issue to help pinpoint the problem.

I will probably dual boot with XP for the meantime if this continues.

32bit or 64bit Win7?

I had this a few nights ago, 1st I can recall in quite awhile. Running win7 RC 32 bit.

It was odd inthat with the CTD I had several error boxes up but greyedout/unreadable. I moused over the top error box and could make out that it was a smartheap error box.

I closed it out and the others closed too quickly to decern what they were.

On relogin to the game all personas were locked indicateing a CTHL on the last game session.

Are any of you also seeing the personas locked on your next game login?

On my part though it seems very random, this was the 1st error I've had on win7 and current game version.

Edited by OldZeke

_If_ you can run on W7 64bit (I don't have it so I don't know if it works at all) then you won't see any smartheap error. This error only appears on 32bit windows OSs.

Note for 130.3 - we will be building a version next week for testing which has a temp smartheap fix. It was too late to put it into this release. However we will probably make this available to anyone who gets this error to help in testing it after letting the beta testers try it. If it works and helps then maybe there will be a 130.4.

Permanent fix for this problem (and most stutters as well) will come in 1.31. It's way too much to put in without a full test cycle.

32bit or 64bit Win7?

Whoops left it off, 64bit

I am also running the game in Vista compatibility mode as I get the unmovable cursor otherwise.

ATI Catalyst version 9.8

Edited by tomipt99

Windows7 64bit is supposed to relax the 2GB limit. I assumed Vista was the same way, but I guess its more like XP.

Well I installed Vista SP2 and the latest NVidia driver from the 21nd and I no longer get the error.

Nice to be back.

Ahwulf, if there's any info about my comp you'd like to help with solve this lemme know.

I'm not all the comp savvy but if there's specific things you need me to tell you and I try to dig into it.

I'm still here, but not as much as i'd like, i'm trying to play but at the moment i'm suffering from bad memory leaks, which only started a few days a go, but won't go away.

If i start Windows Task Manager i can see watch as when i load up the game, the memory usage climbs to around 980,000K. The game runs fine, no snags, but as time goes by, and we are only talking 20minutes if im lucky sometimes 5 or 10, then the memory usage carries on climbing up to around 1,800,000. Around that point my game will freeze or just shut down automatically. :(

I have no idea if i can fix this or how to if i could.

I've tried deleting WWIIOL and re-installing but to no avail, i'm actually about to do it again now, uninstal the program then delete anything i can that remains.

My PC is new, well a few months new and only gets used to play the game and to have KFS1's IP share up in the background, i have only downloaded Adobe Acrobat Reader and Win-Zip aside from the normal Window's updates.

Pentium® Dual-Core CPU E5200 @ 2.50GHz 2.10 GHz

RAM - 4.00

32-bit Operating system

Windows Vista SP2

ATI RAdeon4850 Driver - 8.640.0.0

Driver Date - 14/07/09

(1) What version did you start seeing the "Smartheap error" in?

(2) How often does it happen?

(3) What percentage of CTD's is it?

(4) Any other details about when it seems to happen most?

Report your specs as usual - CPu type / memory / OS version / video card

(1) 1.30.3.255

(2) About once per hour

(3) 100 %

(4) It happens when there are changes ingame causing extra load to the hardware (smoke, CP taken, new objective)

CPU: AMD Phenom X4 945

RAM: 4 GB DDR3

Video card: ATI Radeon HD4890 (Driver: Catalyst 9.8)

Hmm, you're not supposed to be able to get this error on 64bit Windows 7 according to MS. Do you only get it in town in a large battle, or in an empty town or fb?

i posted specs earlier, i have 64 bit it happens a lot esp in heavy fighting in towns as inf... the more thats going on and the quicker you have to keep respawning the worst it is, tonight in hassalt every 4th spawn in i got cthl from heap... getting very very annoying, haveing to log in double just to get back into game cause you get the dam red locks the first tiem around.and it doesn't appear to be an issue while running other programs, because when it crashed it shws its using like 1700000 bytes in task manager, sometimes it happens while actually playing, not just at despawn/spawn screen.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0