• Announcements

• HEAVY265

New Forum Lead!   11/17/2019

It's with great pleasure to announce B2K as the new Forum Lead.   I am very confident he will be good for the forums, he has great ideas and direction for the future of the forums.
      Good luck sir and GOD speed.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AHWULF

Smartheap errors and the like

132 posts in this topic

Yeah, I can't even play the game anymore... happens every time. I have been playing for almost two years now. If I spawn INF, I can play for about 20 minutes. If I spawn RAF, I get this error shortly after takeoff. Essentially, I am unable to play at all. Getting pretty frustrating. This all seems to have started after the last update.

Vista 64 Ultimate

4GB (2x2GB) 800MHz Corsair Dominator

3.0GHz Core 2 Duo

2x EVGA GeForce 640MB 8800GTS (SLI)

2560x1600 res and maxed details

I have a Logitech G15 keyboard, and when the orrors occurr, the Performance Monitor on the keyboard show I am typically at 58-62% physical memory usage. Definitely not a RAM issue.

version 1.30.3.255

Vista 64 sp2

phenom IIx4 965 3.4

4 gig Ocz 2x2gb 1067

2x ati 3870 crossfired catalyst 9.8

res 1920/1200

asus ma379-T Deluxe bios 1102

Try playing at 1600x1200 or something less, for those who get this problem, lowering the resolution can affect how often you get this. Bigger display resolutions combined with how the specific video driver manages memory can start you off closer to the 2GB virtual address limit than other people.

Ignore what the keyboard thing is telling you (or Task Manager), the only dependable values comes from Process Explorer, link above. If PE says your Virtual Memory Size is 2GB you hit the out of memory experience.

1.31 uses less memory than 1.30 to start with, plus the changes to how infantry models use memory, *should* eliminate most of the problem.

Try playing at 1600x1200 or something less, for those who get this problem, lowering the resolution can affect how often you get this. Bigger display resolutions combined with how the specific video driver manages memory can start you off closer to the 2GB virtual address limit than other people.

Ignore what the keyboard thing is telling you (or Task Manager), the only dependable values comes from Process Explorer, link above. If PE says your Virtual Memory Size is 2GB you hit the out of memory experience.

1.31 uses less memory than 1.30 to start with, plus the changes to how infantry models use memory, *should* eliminate most of the problem.

I find it odd that I never got this error before playing at 1920/1200 for the last 4 years. I didnt get it in 1.30.2 or any previous versions. is it a lack of memory or is this just the message it displays? as it shows im not even close to being out of memory. aslo thx for your work in these issues Ahwulf.

Edited by zaltor

I find it odd that I never got this error before playing at 1920/1200 for the last 4 years. I didnt get it in 1.30.2 or any previous versions...

I agree. I started playing this game on a 19" LCD, but less than a month later got my 30" and have been running 2560x1600 on every game ever since. In the two years I have been playing at this resolution, I have never run into this problem before. Why now after the latest patch?

I just played COD5 last night (at 2560x1600, maxed details) for about five hours and did not run into the problem. Seems to only be WWIIOL??

I find it odd that I never got this error before playing at 1920/1200 for the last 4 years. I didnt get it in 1.30.2 or any previous versions. is it a lack of memory or is this just the message it displays? as it shows im not even close to being out of memory. aslo thx for your work in these issues Ahwulf.

Until 1.31 every version of the client used more memory than the previous, but the real issue is virtual memory use, which has been creeping upwards even faster. I suspect that on some video drivers the problem is made worse on higher resolutions so you start off with less to work with.

1.31 uses 250MB less physical memory right off the bat, plus we are going to reduce the VM fragmentation issue that happens with infantry.

1.31 is basically the first version with the new updated engine which has provided a lot of opportunity for more optimizations.

Other games have the same issues (particularly Second Life) but more modern game engines have better memory management to start with. Thus the need in 1.31 for basic modernization of the guts. Remember this code goes back to 1998 in many places.

COD5 is pretty new code. Also most games do not have potentially 128 vehicles and people running around at the same time which are constantly being made visible and then removed (the "vis list").

Also never believe Task Manager. Get Process Explorer form Microsoft, it tells the whole truth about memory usage.

Until 1.31 every version of the client used more memory than the previous, but the real issue is virtual memory use, which has been creeping upwards even faster. I suspect that on some video drivers the problem is made worse on higher resolutions so you start off with less to work with.

1.31 uses 250MB less physical memory right off the bat, plus we are going to reduce the VM fragmentation issue that happens with infantry.

1.31 is basically the first version with the new updated engine which has provided a lot of opportunity for more optimizations.

Other games have the same issues (particularly Second Life) but more modern game engines have better memory management to start with. Thus the need in 1.31 for basic modernization of the guts. Remember this code goes back to 1998 in many places.

COD5 is pretty new code. Also most games do not have potentially 128 vehicles and people running around at the same time which are constantly being made visible and then removed (the "vis list").

Also never believe Task Manager. Get Process Explorer form Microsoft, it tells the whole truth about memory usage.

Thanks for the reply, I did try the reduced resolution, it seemed, stable. however, since my native res is 1920/1200 it really looks crappy and text its blurry. so since i have a few systems here I bumped up my physical ram, to 8 Gigs, still unsure where this issue is arising though.

I am running Process Explorer, my physical memory "max" usage is 3gigs. and pagefiles has never had less the 4 gigs remaining.

Was able to play today at 1920/1200 with out issue, with the 8gigs ill let you know if it still persists.

The problem can really only be fix in the code, nothing in your system. The number to watch in PE is Virtual Memory Size (something like that). Under Windows if it hits 2GB you "run out of memory", namely VM addresses.

The problem can really only be fix in the code' date=' nothing in your system. The number to watch in PE is Virtual Memory Size (something like that). Under Windows if it hits 2GB you "run out of memory", namely VM addresses.[/quote']

ok so it is and operating system error then? do you know if this flaw adressed in windows 7?

It's not a flaw, it was designed that way a long time ago when no one had that much memory. The OS uses 2GB and the App gets 2GB. In Windows 7 64bit I think it gives you the full 4GB, although confusingly people have reported getting the smartheap error anyway. It's still a pretty new OS and it might be that you have to do something different to get the 4GB.

The OSX client does all the same memory stuff (basically the same code) but 32bit OSX has always given the application the full 4GB so you never run out.

Just reporting I'm also having these smartheap errors a lot since the last patch. I'm also running windows 7 64 bit (full version from msdn, not RC). It crashes roughly every 5 minutes and its not for the lack of memory, iv got 12gb.

I have noticed mine crashes when WW2_sse2.exe uses about 1.7gb of usage. Crashing times vary, originally when i updated to the new patch i was flying a lot of air, and it never crashed, then i started playing infantry more frequently and it began crashing. Now though it happens in both regardless. I have also tried lowering my graphics settings, older video card drivers etc no luck.

I'm just wondering if there is any ETA on the next patch/fix. Thanks Guys, good luck :)

System Specs

Windows 7 64bit Professional

Intel Core i7 920 (no overclock)

12gb Patriot 1600 mhz ddr3 ram

Asus p6t mobo

HIS IceQ4 ATI 4870 1gb

Creative XFI Titanium Fatility Pro series soundcard

2*60gb OCZ Apex SSD (raid1)

3*1TB Seagate hdds (raid5)

It really can't be fixed until 1.31 since its a systemic issue with infantry (which is why you rarely see it less unless you hit inf in an area). Remember to use Process Explorer *not* Task Manager to see the virtual memory size.

No idea when 1.31 is coming out.

I do have a minor fix for this but it might have to be an unofficial binary as without broad testing I don't want everyone to get a problem. I might get Martini to build it just so people can try it.

The general fix requires the new engine in 1.31; its not a simple bug but a redesign of how memory is used in the engine.

The only thing that may help in reducing the issue with the current release is to lower you graphics resolution (ie try something less than 1920x1200 or whatever you are using), not any other settings.

just wondering if theres any updates. this is getting really really old very fast. can't enjoy a good fight for more then 5 minutes without it punting me off. esp sometimes while im in game ... very disturbing, by the time i log back on, then back off cause of redlocks, and do get back to game its too late to be part of what was goign on, very very frustrating

I had problems early on win 7 64Bit I CTD or gott smartheap error.

then I look on my motherbord home page and found new driver for Audio

and Lan so I install them and naver gott CTD or smartheap error.

so you mabye look for new driver for audio or lan..

dunno which one fix the problem for me but install them if they have new one.

Any real fixes will come in 1.31, which itself is a completely different beast with a ton of internal changes.

For whatever reason any change to your environment such as new drivers seems to randomly make the error go away, or appear more often. It doesn't seem to be consistent (which is consistent with random errors) what you do, just that you do something.

This doesn't happen in the OSX version, it's special to the Windows OS environment.

has only been happening to me since last version download. play for about 2 hrs and then get message to free up memory.

windows xp

pentium R 3.4gig

2gig ram

radeon x1650 512 mb:confused:

Just downgraded ATI drivers.

Went from 9.9 to 9.0 and now have 0 issues.

Before change, was CTD'ing every 10 to 30 minites.

System Specs

Windows VISTA 64bit Ultimate (SP-2)

Intel Core i7 920 2.66ghz

ATI Radeon™ HD 4850 with 512MB memory

9 gig 1600 mhz ddr3 ram

It's a long while since I had a smartheap error now but the other day I got a smartheap CTD while sitting spawned in AFK on the training server. Very strange error.

just upgraded my pc

i7 920 cpu, EVGA 132-BL-E758-A1 X58 3SLI,windows 7 64 bit. kicks out once it gets to the loading page. wwii log is this

C:\Program Files (x86)\CRS\Battleground Europe\WW2_x86.exe

File version: 1, 30, 3, 255

Program compile time: Aug 27 2009 11:52:45

Date and time: 10/16/2009 0:16:02

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Exception: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION

Exception: continuable

Exception address: 0x00000000

Exception tried to: read at address 0x00000000

Exception Registers:

DS: 0x0000002b, ES: 0x0000002b, FS: 0x00000053, GS: 0x0000002b

EBP: 0x0018f4e8, ESP: 0x0018f478, SS: 0x0000002b, EIP: 0x00000000

ESI: 0x000000cd, EDI: 0x96000000

EAX: 0x00000000, EBX: 0x00000690, ECX: 0x049d8580, EDX: 0x00000000

I was getting this error very often once i tried some of the newer drivers from Nvidia. I rolled back to 7.15.11.8250 for my 8800 GTS 512 and the game ran much smoother. No more errors for a few days now. Keep in mind I was every 3rd or 4th spawn in.

Hope this helps you!!!!

Just a quick update (I didn't forget about trying to test this, ahwulf!)

I no longer get the "OOM" error - Although I haven't played much this campaign, when I do it has not occurred.

(Nothing has changed on my PC).

However - I do now get the "Results Pending Issue" (that I know a lot of other players get), which always means a "Connection to Host Lost" message arrives shortly afterwards ... So maybe this "issue" is masking the former Memory issue?

ONCE A GAIN SCREWED<.... fkn happened while i was recapping the bunker in tilberg i killed 4 ei got into bunker got next to table and fkn heaperror! would have had tilberg bunker BACK! FK!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0