Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jnmoulin

Gophur: Major bugs and defects encountered in Mac OS 1.19

42 posts in this topic

Dear Gophur,

As I struggle to continue playing this game despite the fact that this latest Macintosh version barely seems to function even after the million steps not described on the install site one has to take to properly install it I have been compiling a list of defects which no-one seems to be addressing.

First of all here is my current system configuration.

Machine Model: Power Mac G5

CPU Type: PowerPC G5 (2.2)

Number Of CPUs: 2

CPU Speed: 2 GHz

L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB

Memory: 2.5 GB

Bus Speed: 1 GHz

Boot ROM Version: 5.1.8f7

Video Card:

Nvidia Geforce FX 5200

Running Mac OS X 10.3.9

My WW2OL configuration is as follows:

Video:

Resolution 1024X768

Millions 32 bit

Refresh 120hz locked to refresh rate

FSAA samples OFF

FSAA quality Off

(My monitors are set to 1024 x 768 120hz prior to entering the game.)

Sound:

Enable Sounds

Force stereo OFF

Convert sounds on load ON

Max sounds 128

3D quality Low

Vol Up all the way

Music Down all the way

SFX

Clear viewport not checked

Show info checked

Shadow 0

Vis dist Far

Hud

Health/ammo/compass

Supress Muzzle smoke

Suppress tracer

LOD field of View Checked

LOD Limit per frame Checked

Texture:

Texture reduction is ON

Everything else including enable multi-texturing is OFF

Enable radial clutter is ON

Set to middle both sliders

Visible player limit is high

Language English

Joystick is a CH Fighterstick

Trees:

Both sliders set to halfway

Tree resolution is Medium

Use Tree Vertex Shader is checked.

I can not turn on the textures they are blinding and so poorly conceived that I can’t see a thing but millions of tiny dots when they’re on.

I cannot hear engine sounds of any vehicle that I am in for example planes, trucks, tanks.

I can hear other’s engine sounds but often they are mixed up or coming from seemingly the wrong direction.

For example a fairmille will play a laffly sound.

A PZ to my right will sound like it’s coming from my left.

Enemy AI seems to follow me and only me around like a magnet.

If I’m anywhere close to it out of 12 or so others near it it picks me and chases me around till it gets me.

The most serious problem besides not being able to hear audio properly, view the textures as I could before this patch and being unfairly followed around by enemy AI, is the apparent memory leak which seems connected somehow to the text chat window.

I discovered that after being logged into the game for some time I start to get FPS hits that seem to be coming at regular intervals.

I’ll be getting 20 – 30 fps when every 3 or 4 secs I’ll get a 3fps hit which causes everything to freeze for a second then move again.

If I’m running I will be running at a frame rate which would have been decent if I had all my graphics turned on all the way (which since this patch is impossible) and my character freezes at 3 fps then runs again and so on.

I’ve tossed preferences, defragged my hard drive, re-installed the game, etc nothing seemed to work.

Finally I started playing around with turning the HUD on and off I realized that had no effect on the fps issue however when I turned off the chat window it fixed it.

The FPS hit issue connected to the chat window seems to only start happening once I’ve been in the game a while.

Eventually the FPS hits when the chat window is up get more and more frequent and if I don’t leave the game the hits result in an eventual crash to the desktop.

It’s like the buffer isn’t clearing and seems characteristic with a standard memory leak issue in the program.

I do notice that it doesn't coincide with a new line of text being displayed. It will happen at regular intervals whether something is typing on a channel I'm displaying or not

Anyone else experiencing all these issues?

Will they ever be fixed Gophur?

Whenever I go on the help channel and ask about them I’m told it’s because I’m on a Mac and I should by a PC.

If the manufactures truly have this much contempt for what I’m assuming is a decent share of your customers who are on Mac platforms may I suggest you stop trying to sign us up with this poorly constructed Mac version of the game and we’ll stop subscribing to it.

All the feedback I’m getting from players is that the PC version works great and no-one is experiencing these issues except the Mac users.

Can Mac users expect to receive refunds for their subscriptions since the premature release of version 1.19?

Can we also expect to receive checks from Playnet soon for our services as full-time beta testers of this latest release?

Hmm yes, I too have encountered some of these problems.

I'm on a 2xCPU 2GHz G5. 10.3.9.

My FPS took a huge hit under 1.19 which I figure is just progress. I have a new vid card in the mail now that hopefully will fix that.

Sounds are indeed messed up. The other night I clearly heard the sounds reversed, R/L, for sounds coming from my own team (allied) but not axis. Today a panzer snuck up on me and ran me over. I didn't hear it coming!

Occasionally there are loud bursts of static. I guess that's a sound bug too.

I would say that I lost a good deal of precision with my joystick as well. My aim is terrible.

All these things together have dropped my k/d from about 1.00 to about 0.30. It's a measure of frustration if nothing else.

I'd say the first thing to fix would be the sound. It's fooked.

The best times I had on wwiiol were about a year ago, in the period immediatly prior to MSPs. There were CTD's but the rest of the gameplay was solid. I hope you can get back to that level of quality.

Yeah that noise sound bug I've had for nearly a year.

This chat memory leak thing causes me to have to turn on and off the chat window and still I have to quit the game every hour or so and log back in.

I'm getting yelled at for always asking questions because I can't seee the chat anymore half the time.

There's no reason why we should have to play with graphics turned off with 2 ghz dual processor Macs.

I'm going to get a new video card too but I don't have this problem with any other game.

It's a bug with the tree collision model ahwulf said. It's fixed in the next patch.

Read all my posts, you get an idea of what's going on...

1. openal doppler is bad (apple's problem)

2. fps eating bug (infantry mostly) was compiler settings issue, fixed next patch

3. engine sounds oddness - still unknown, seems like code issue, might affect PC's sometimes as well

I've tested the fps issue this weekend and my fps its back to what I had before this last patch

the doppler is hard to fix becuase of bug #3

virtually all problems other than sound are related to bug #2, which came about becuase we switched to Apple's XCode compiler, which in the long run is way better (and codewarrior is a dying product anyway). Gettin the compiler settings to all work together has been interesting...

But why does the fps problem seem to vanish if I turn the text box off?

The fps problem happens if I'm flying over water or standing in a depot staring at a wall but only when the text box is up. It seems to have nothing to do with the trees on my front end.

I'd like to search your posts ahwulf but the search features don't work for me on these message boards.

Man, seriously there is no alternative to OpenAL? I mean its rather unbelievable, see they lied about the fixes in 10.4 (especially openal)

I am not sure about anything on this OS build (10.4.1), I even stopped sending bug reports to software vendors until 10.4.2 ships.

Read all my posts, you get an idea of what's going on...

1. openal doppler is bad (apple's problem)

2. fps eating bug (infantry mostly) was compiler settings issue, fixed next patch

3. engine sounds oddness - still unknown, seems like code issue, might affect PC's sometimes as well

I've tested the fps issue this weekend and my fps its back to what I had before this last patch

the doppler is hard to fix becuase of bug #3

virtually all problems other than sound are related to bug #2, which came about becuase we switched to Apple's XCode compiler, which in the long run is way better (and codewarrior is a dying product anyway). Gettin the compiler settings to all work together has been interesting...

Hmm yes, I too have encountered some of these problems.

I'm on a 2xCPU 2GHz G5. 10.3.9.

My FPS took a huge hit under 1.19 which I figure is just progress. I have a new vid card in the mail now that hopefully will fix that.

Sounds are indeed messed up. The other night I clearly heard the sounds reversed, R/L, for sounds coming from my own team (allied) but not axis. Today a panzer snuck up on me and ran me over. I didn't hear it coming!

Occasionally there are loud bursts of static. I guess that's a sound bug too.

I would say that I lost a good deal of precision with my joystick as well. My aim is terrible.

All these things together have dropped my k/d from about 1.00 to about 0.30. It's a measure of frustration if nothing else.

The best times I had on wwiiol were about a year ago, in the period immediatly prior to MSPs. There were CTD's but the rest of the gameplay was solid. I hope you can get back to that level of quality.

It's probably 10.3.9 guys, but the sound bug affects everything. Nothing you can do till ahwulf makes a new openal from scratch :/

still that loud, horrible, random buzzing anyone?

i get it all the time.

also:

-Death by infantry sounds like getting hit by a bomb (low pitched, loud noise)

-Directional (left/right) sounds seem fubar'd

-Distance (close/far) sounds are fubar'd

-Tree collider FPS bug - when are they gonna patch it?

Yeah Tbomber, I've gotten that random annoying buzzing sound to the point where I'm used to it if you can believe it. Sounds like a plane sound sortof mixed through a radio from the 1940s. That and fps are my only known issues, haven't encountered the directional sound problem yet, but I might just be too hung up with 1 fps.

As I've said I get that loud buzzing sound too. It's either a plane or the wind that's not rendering or something.

Once when I was in the game I heard a distant artillery explosion like a sound effect from a great World War 2 movie. I had never heard that sound effect in the game before. I think maybe that's the sound that we're hearing as buzzing. It's just a guess because it was a great atmospheric sound and I only heard it once.

Has anyone tried turning the chat window off to see if the fps problem stops?

I'll be getting 30-40 fps with multi-textures off and texture reduction on then after about 30 mins to an hour in the game the fps hits of 4fps come.

It will be 30fps for 3 secs,1 sec at 4fps, then back to 30fps etc.

When I turn the chat box off using the Y key the hits stop.

Anyone else try that yet?

Doesn't help me but then again, I was never really running higher than 20 fps anyway. Best I can do now is 6, but mostly I'm at 1 or 2. Tried the chat box, didn't help, the only time it's consistently around 5 or 6 is when I'm looking through binos.

Yeah This tree thing doesn't seem to be noticable to me. It's all related to the chat window on my end. I'm CTDing now on the brigade window and the map when I have the chat window up.

No trees there.

I haven't CTD'd but I did spawn in while still looking at the brigade screen. I could hear all the sounds of battle, guess I was just standing there like an idiot. I'm not running a machine as fast as yours though

I haven't CTD'd but I did spawn in while still looking at the brigade screen. I could hear all the sounds of battle, guess I was just standing there like an idiot. I'm not running a machine as fast as your though

I haven't CTD'd but I did spawn in while still looking at the brigade screen. I could hear all the sounds of battle, guess I was just standing there like an idiot. I'm not running a machine as fast as yours though

Haha That's so funny! I just came on here to post that the same thing happened to me.

3 times. I spawned in and was looking at the brigade screen. I could see my HUD and hear the battle but see the brigade screen.

I mentioned it and someone told me to get a new computer.

I'm sorry this has got to be the buggiest code I've ever seen.

I'm tired of hearing excuses like oh it works fine on my PC and you set up your computer wrong.

You guys must admit you screwed up and apologize and give us our money back.

This is inexcusable.

Jmoulin, from our good hearted replies I guess you misunderstood something.

We, from end user to developer figured OpenAL problem and there is workaround for it as it effects MANY OTHER GAMES, other thing, Speedtree code is being worked on as now.

If your post was about some sort of "buggy code", "sux" type of teen crap you don't have anything to do in this game for a simple reason:

This is NOT a FPS game.

When you try to support all sorts of ww2 in current state of technology, sh*t will happen.

The company sells you $130 operating system can't fix a damn audio framework. Your ISP maybe can't setup backup routers in this price war, you may have needless crap running at background.

All are factors.

BUT, if you think CRS is really impressed by your $12, believe they are not and you are making things worse.

There is unsubscribe button at user settings, the side I play does not matter, I don't want people like you playing.

(yearly user here,nothing else)

Hmm yes, I too have

It's probably 10.3.9 guys, but the sound bug affects everything. Nothing you can do till ahwulf makes a new openal from scratch :/

Viruses: Its not only 10.3.9. Apple tricked you developer types very bad :) 10.4.x (including .1) comes with buggy OpenAL and it has exact same bug when audio is set to 48khz.

Exact bug as I see on Quake III (remember how I found the 44.1 tip)

This is not a MacOS forum so, I save the flaming to Apple.

Cult thing again, Apple gives the buggy framework, 3rd party developers get flamed.

Always the same story :/

(ps: I don't watch this topic as, OP said buggy code etc, not worth our time IMHO, I am available to PM)

Ilgaz I have no idea what all that mindless drivle was you were spewing but what I'm saying is the game worked fine except for that buzzing sound effect which was obviously a corrupted sound sample until this latest upgrade.

These constant crashes, missing sound, terrible blindingly ugly graphic textures, frame hits down 0 FPS when I'm inside staring at the floor unless I turn the chat box off, none of this was happening on this 2ghz dual processor G5 before this latest version.

Nothing like this occurs on any other MMPOL game I play. Only this one.

The combination of the contempt I receive from players and game managers alike on the help channel because I have a high end G5 and their on Dells, the ridiculous artificial structure of these brigades and stripping me of a year's worth of rank which I earned and paid for, so now I can't find a mission most of the time, it all leads me to believe that the people in charge of this game are trying to make it a private club for those who've played longer and they really don't give a crap about whether it works on a Mac or not because they don't own Macs and most of their customers don't.

So if they don't want our business and as you so eloquently pointed out they don't care about my $12.00 then stop trying to force this crappy Mac version on us and make it a PC only game. (and they raised the cost to $15.00 per month just before they made the game unplayable.)

Either that or hire some well paid Mac game programmers to re-write the code properly.

And Ilgaz, it's clear from your servile personality that you play for World War 2 Germany.

Oh and has anyone had the falling through the center of the earth bug?

3 of us were walking through a building in Metz and as each of us went past one spot they died but the other 2 of us never heard a shot or explosion or anything.

Finally I walked past the spot and my screen went black.

If it were three perfect shots to the head for each of us wouldn't the other two have heard them?

At least the flying is doable, no fps issues. Sound's FUBAR but at least I can defend factories

http://openal.org/

Apple's fault? Apple rolled the 1.2 OpenAL release into the 1.0 framework. I haven't had a chance today to check, but I don't think CRS is shipping the same version inside the wwiiol binary, but they must be shipping one because 10.3.9 doesn't come with OpenAL by defualt. If you're so sure you're being screwed by Apple, go to the openal.org site, subscribe to the mailing list, and talk about it. You will quickly see your folly.

jmoulin sorry for all your troubles. IMO the game is unplayable for many right now, and laying the blame is a tough thing to do right now, so I'm going to sit in my hammock and relax instead.

I hear (and feel) your pain jmoulin.

I too am tired of being bashed for running a Mac for this game.

If one more person tells me to 'Get a PC' Im going to tell them in no uncertain terms what I feel about them.

I dont really give a flying f#!k whose fault this is, it is now the game developers responsiblity to fix it for their paying customers.

If I upgrade (or downgrade, or change in any way) my computer at work, and the result is that I cant get a job done for a client - there is NO WAY IN H#LL that I could tell that customer that its not my fault, it is the fault of this third party blah, blah blah that I am using now. They would simpy say "thats YOUR problem - fix it"

I dont know a thing about computers, and guess what, I DONT HAVE TO! Thats not my job. I dont want to hear excuses or the "difficulties" of fixing things. I dont care. Why should I? If you go to a movie theater and in the middle of the movie the sound is all messed up and the screen starts lookin crappy, does a manager come out and say "sorry, its this new system we are using, you will all just have to watch it this way".

As far as the person above saying that CRS does not careg about my measly $12, I find that a crock. Any company that survives off of selling one thing to customers needs every subsciber they can get - and I doubt CRS shares this persons views.

Dont get me wrong here, I am not flaming off on the developers (what the heck they called, Rats? - dont know, dont care). I am sure they are doing all in their power - and was impressed by how fast they fixed the Mac grainy texture thing - but to read some of these above posts rubs me entirely wrong.

So I will also take the lead mentioned above, and I will just relax awhile and see how things pan out, but for all of you bashing on jmoulin up there, dont forget. He is acting like a "customer" using a cr#ppy "product." And he is entirely right to do so.

I for one agree that right now, what we have here, is a cr#ppy product.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0