Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AHWULF

Hey Bootcamp Users! Read Please!

20 posts in this topic

Has anyone playing on a mac under bootcamp _ever_ gotten the dreaded "Smartheap out of memory error"?

I really need someone who gets it fairly often to act as a guinea pig. It doesn't happen to me at all on my Macpro/XP. Free meal if you are in the DFW area!

The generic windows players are less susceptible to my charms lol.

Damn. I used to get it every time on spawn with some settings but did some heavy upgrading and it's gone.

Anything spesific you need to know about it?

Yes, what OS on bootcamp? What video card model? How much ram? Which mac model too I guess.

I did find a windoze user who is helping me. The more info the merrier!

Yes, what OS on bootcamp? What video card model? How much ram? Which mac model too I guess.

I did find a windoze user who is helping me. The more info the merrier!

I was running a Vista 64 ultimate. Nvidia GeForce 8800. Mac Pro 3.2 2x Quad. Started with 6 GB RAM and upgraded to 8 GB when trying to fix smartheap. No effect.

Monitored memory usage when hit smartheap, did not notice any major increase in memory use after loadup during game, just minor.

Graphx card driver changes did nothing, tried different official versions and also some 3rd party tuned versions.

Cleaned up startup by shutting down just about everything from system manager, this might have had a minor effect on the rate of smartheap but just really small.

Changed default browser from IE to Firefox to Google to Opera, no effect.

Went through all grphx card setting, running from all minimum to all max, no effect.

Fiddled with virtual memory settings, setting from large to small to automatic to none. No effect.

Change of resolution does have something to do with it: 2560/1600 -> smartheap on spawn. Downgrade to 1600/1200 and you get to play around 1 hour and then smartheap.

Upgrade to Windows 7 and puff, no smartheaps. Maybe 10-15 h gametime now and long periods too with 2560/1600. Couple CTHL:s but it's routine for me, has always been.

Audio card settings also from min to max, no effect.

Lol aethanol looks like you will have to go back to Vista and the smarheaps to help Ahwulf!

Well I might consider it if you can get Doc to do a poledance for me...

Or maybe a lapdance even...

Hmmmmmm, them firm buttocks, hmmmmmm.....

:D:D:D

Has anyone playing on a mac under bootcamp _ever_ gotten the dreaded "Smartheap out of memory error"?

I really need someone who gets it fairly often to act as a guinea pig. It doesn't happen to me at all on my Macpro/XP. Free meal if you are in the DFW area!

I've been getting this fairly often on my bootcamp. Running on a Macbook Pro with XP.

If you wouldn't mind be a test subject send me your email at my gamename @ playnet.com.

If I can build a test app that would help find this, someone who gets it often might be useful.

Ahwulf

Just downloaded the game and loaded it on bootcamp. No luck starting it though.. just flicks a black window on the screen and then nothing, just leaves you on the desktop. I'm running Win XP with SP3 on the windows side. I'm running the quad 2.93 with 6 gb of ram and the 4870 vid card.

Says I'm connected and gives me the choice of entering game or training site... neither works.

Is there something I'm missing maybe with Bootcamp??? or from past experience should it be smooth sailing?

Your mac is rejecting windows.

Seriously, not sure. I have a similar box but with the stock GT120 on it and it just works. You might have to fiddle with the resolution/settings in the ATI display prefs, but assuming you have the correct Apple drivers for that video card, it might just be some windows thing a windows forum person might be able to help with. If you had to get the driver yourself for the card, then it might just be the typical windows driver hell.

I am not a Mac user,but the Smartheap Errors definately has something to do with the ATI drivers,it was working fine in 9.7,9.8 screwed it up and 9.9 is better but still gives me the Smartheap errors. (Or a CTD at despawn..).

I am using Windows 7 64 Bit.

Well dunno what I did but just reloaded full version in bootcamp and now its running fine... had fps last night approaching 200 I kid you not!

running quad 2.93 with ATI 4870 vid card and 6 gb ram

Also so far no quirky boot ups or anything of that nature... shhhhhhh :)

I haven't seen it in my worst test possible, on Mac Mini latest gen (NVidia GPU) running Windows 7 64bit consumer beta without Apple bootcamp drivers. It didn't have gigantic memory either, just 2 GB - 256 MB (for GPU). I guess it is something like Vietnam for testing a Windows application :) Even SATA chipset was running software mode lol.

One wonders if it is not the OS or System, a driver causing it? Like that recent iPhone not syncing with certain Intel chipset.

Changing drivers seems to move the error around. I am in rat office this week and that's one of my things to do, find the immediate random OOM error.

Some questions perhaps others might kindly answer.

1. I have an iMac. All else remaining the same will running bootcamp in snow leopard using windows 7 likely give me better performance than running the game in mac os?

2. What is the level of difficulty in setting up window's 7 in bootcamp? (I know this is highly subjective but let me know what you think. I am no super techie but a pretty seasoned computer user on the mac side)

Thanks all.

Some questions perhaps others might kindly answer.

1. I have an iMac. All else remaining the same will running bootcamp in snow leopard using windows 7 likely give me better performance than running the game in mac os?

2. What is the level of difficulty in setting up window's 7 in bootcamp? (I know this is highly subjective but let me know what you think. I am no super techie but a pretty seasoned computer user on the mac side)

Thanks all.

setting it took me around 30 minutes. its not difficult at all. use some google search and you will find step by step instructions.

Win7 is not officially supported on bootcamp yet (Apple says soon). But like he says, people got it to work.

PC version = Performance++, stability--

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0