Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
leparc

To MAC or Not to MAC...

45 posts in this topic

BE crap on a mac then?

My mac is not an exceptional example for I only have 1GB of RAM loaded and my video card is crap. If you spec it out correctly (Radeon 9700 and 4GB RAM) you can game to your hearts content.

It all depends on what you like to do to. I avoid heavy city combat for more ATR and Sniper recon-combat. Flying is pretty good too on my computer, despite it being inferior.

The mac won't ever be as good as the comparable PC, but if you're willing to give up a little of the gaming potential, you'll never regret all the other things it can do.

Plus, Macs handle pr0n better than PCs!

I love PC because you can build it yourself!

But I work as a Service Tech for apple so I work on Macs...they're cool......for my grandma.

I keed.

I'm on a 2+ year-old Macbook Pro (17", 2.33 duo, 3GB ram, 256MB x1600 card, 7200RPM drive), and my performance isn't too terribly bad. 10-20 FPS in some of the largest battles, but typically in the 20-30 range. Upwards of 50-60+ in the air or open sea. Heavy trees are what hurts me the most, dropping me down to the low single digits range at times.

I used a PC (or non-Mac) all my life, from the C-64 to the C-128, to 386, 486 DX2 (TURBO button, yeah baby!), the full range of pentiums from DOS and windows 3.11 to XP.....but settled on a Mac (mostly for work; not gaming as much these days) and there's not a damn thing I miss about PCs.

.....except for the ability to manipulate files in the Finder beyond simply adding a new folder (you know, rename, move things around, delete, etc).

If I had to buy a new system, even for WW2OL, I wouldn't think twice before buying another Mac.

i play mostly on a g5 mac 2.30 ghz 2 gb and a atix800somethingGT and it works helluva fine, 30/40 fps while flying, 10 in crowded fights and 70 up at 7k! but this is an old rig, with something like 4gb ram and a better video card you'll get 70 fps anywhere.

mac it's good for BE, but if you're gonna use it for gaming, don't even bother, only wow and be work natively on it.

pc--->gaming>working

mac->working (graphic/video editing/music composing the mac gives the BEST of him) > gaming (if you get an intel cpu (most of the latest g5 have it natively) you can try to boot camp but at this point i'd go for a pc

Buy a new PC and get windows 7. Save a shedload on hardware costs [Macs are criminally expensive for whats inside them].

Edited by k6

Thats what all the poor people say :D:D:D

and thats the response from insecure people who dont like being informed that they've been bent over the counter by Apple.

Buy a new PC and get windows 7. Save a shedload on hardware costs [Macs are criminally expensive for whats inside them].

Signed.

Compare the IT running costs of a mac department vs a PC department and you'll never go back. The setup is more for Mac but long term Macs run themselves very well, are easier to maintain/upgrade/run, last longer and hold their value for resale. Used to be PC at my office, all Mac bar 2 now, cost dropped hugely, things run smoother, no need for external IT costs anymore.

If you want games get a PC/PS/Xbox imo, if you have a bit more money get a Mac and run Bootcamp which means you get the best of both worlds plus your kit looks much nicer :)

If you want to play WW2 then the graphics are better on PC than Mac but apart from that there isn't much difference in the game (except we have no mac TS overlay).

I just prefer a Mac as I was brought up using them for graphics but I think I can offer an unbiased opinion as I use both at work and home. I won't deny they cost more and you cold build one cheaper, but the biggest thing for me is Apple builds it kit and makes its OS hence it works well together, Microsoft makes the OS, others make the boxes hence you get a variety of good and bad hardware which exposes Windows (rightly or wrongly) to not performing as well and being the cheaper option. You need both though, with only one or the other there wold be no competition, and now we have Google OS coming!

and thats the response from insecure people who dont like being informed that they've been bent over the counter by Apple.

They use lube and don't carry the STD's that PCs have.

You can't beat the Mac OS stability, user friendlyness, or flexibility. Considering now you can do everything that you could on a PC on a Mac now, there's no reason to get a PC anymore.

Plus my e-peen is bigger than anyone with a PC... :D

They use lube and don't carry the STD's that PCs have.

You can't beat the Mac OS stability, user friendlyness, or flexibility. Considering now you can do everything that you could on a PC on a Mac now, there's no reason to get a PC anymore.

Plus my e-peen is bigger than anyone with a PC... :D

Aside from you don't find Macs used at all in any engineering firm.

Aside from you don't find Macs used at all in any engineering firm.

Doesn't mean they cannot be used in one. Most firms have used PCs because that's what the software was desgined for. I'm sure if someone took the time to design the software for Mac OS, people would use it.

Regardless, with bootcamp, you can run any Windows program on the Mac.

BTW Hath, had a great sniper and rifle sortie the other day. Sniper kills were all above 400m with the longest being 650m (hate not having 50m range increments). Rifle sortie was good too. Got a few at a dead run at 250-300m. I'm trying to get back into the rifle for the next campaign. funny how quickly its forgotten after you rank up...

Edited by spOrT

My IMAC. - Latest version

24" HD screen

2x Dual 2.66 Zeon Processors

Nvidia Geforce 9400 256 Ram

600 Gig hard drive

4 Gigs ram

Refurbished to my door with an All in one printer.

$1400, not too expensive

Plays pretty descent, there are a few little FPS hits that make playing in some towns awful - 2-10 fps

Recently I made the decision to buy a MAC. I bought a Macbook and let me just say, I have never been happier! Talk about a rock solid OS, I have yet to shutdown/restart my laptop in over 2 months-Try that with Windose :). Using my old PC laptop, once you "closed" the beast, you never knew if it would wake up or would require pulling the plug (and yes I know about hibernate etc, and all those features were off). If it did awake, you had to wait a week just to get it to "load" everything again. Oh and did I mention Vista!??!! One other thing, I bought my Mac in March so I didn't qualify for the free upgrade to the new OS Snow Leopard, however it will only cost me $29 to upgrade!! Microsoft on the other hand charged me $99 to upgrade from Win98 to XP, etc...

Now for playing games, I still have the PC I built running XP. That is all the machine is used for. I continue to upgrade and add new things (TrackingIR) which could present a problem for a Mac.

If you are buying a desktop computer just for the game, you will be better off buying or building a PC -- more upgrade options down the road.

If you are buying it primarily to do other things like work or personal stuff and it will also be used for the game, or if you're looking for a laptop, I recommend a Mac.

However, if you get a Mac, I recommend playing the game in Windows. I find the Windows client less buggy, and you have greater compatibility with things like joysticks, TrackIR, fancy mice with lots of extra buttons, a true Teamspeak client, etc.

For a long time my Macbook Pro played the game in Windows with twice the FPS of my gaming rig (which had been built about 2 years earlier, but still). Now my MBP is over 2 years old and I still get around 30FPS in a big battle.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0