Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
leparc

To MAC or Not to MAC...

45 posts in this topic

You killed me last night Dover... :( I'm telling Mike!
Oh' date=' you were that guy! You started it! I was really pissed about dying to you, cause I saw you after I got your LMG friend, but I missed you and you made it to the berm, and then I missed you again and you got me. Then when I came back my squaddies still hadn't found you and I went back to the same spot and saw you in my binocs, still sitting in that berm. I was like, "You guys, he's right there!" And I was trying to direct one squaddie who was closer to you, "No, the berm in front of you! To your left! ...no, not that one, go back to your right..." He eventually found the right berm and [i']still couldn't find you. Until finally I just ran over there and killed you myself! And my first point-blank clipped-into-each-other shot missed. You almost got me again! :D

Oh' date=' you were that guy! You started it! I was really pissed about dying to you, cause I saw you after I got your LMG friend, but I missed you and you made it to the berm, and then I missed you again and you got me. Then when I came back my squaddies still hadn't found you and I went back to the same spot and saw you in my binocs, still sitting in that berm. I was like, "You guys, he's right there!" And I was trying to direct one squaddie who was closer to you, "No, the berm in front of you! To your left! ...no, not that one, go back to your right..." He eventually found the right berm and [i']still couldn't find you. Until finally I just ran over there and killed you myself! And my first point-blank clipped-into-each-other shot missed. You almost got me again! :D

hehe... I saw you looking at me and was about to shoot you and the LMG there, but I figured you hadn't seen me yet since you never fired. When the LMG went running through, I hit on the other side of the berm as he did his sweep and played a little hide and seek. I was so pissed when you didn't give it up when he didn't find me. I almost pulled out my knife actually, cause the sniper is crap at close range.... And I just remembered I had a pistol since I was a para DAMN IT!!

Usually my hiding tactic works... I'm a sneaky little bastard, but you guys were all over us when we landed.

All in good fun though!

hehe... I saw you looking at me and was about to shoot you and the LMG there, but I figured you hadn't seen me yet since you never fired. When the LMG went running through, I hit on the other side of the berm as he did his sweep and played a little hide and seek. I was so pissed when you didn't give it up when he didn't find me. I almost pulled out my knife actually, cause the sniper is crap at close range.... And I just remembered I had a pistol since I was a para DAMN IT!!

Usually my hiding tactic works... I'm a sneaky little bastard, but you guys were all over us when we landed.

All in good fun though!

Yeah you did a good job faking him out, he was like, "there's no ei in there". But I knew you were in there and I wanted revenge! :D

Yeah you did a good job faking him out' date=' he was like, "there's no ei in there". But I knew you were in there and I wanted revenge! :D[/quote']

Okay... I see how it is...

Game on, I'm hunting you now! ROAWRR!

My IMAC. - Latest version

24" HD screen

2x Dual 2.66 Zeon Processors

Nvidia Geforce 9400 256 Ram

600 Gig hard drive

4 Gigs ram

Refurbished to my door with an All in one printer.

$1400, not too expensive

Plays pretty descent, there are a few little FPS hits that make playing in some towns awful - 2-10 fps

The crappy performance is due to the $50 graphics card inside your $1400 refurbished computer. They did give you 2x4 core processors at least but i'll be damned if i know what a normal person is going to do with that. Most apps hardly touch dual core processors.

The other problem with macs is with their proprietary components. Not only are they stupidly expensive to purchase but you MUST get them repaired by Apple which continues the trend of stupidly expensive.

However' date=' if you get a Mac, I recommend playing the game in Windows.[/quote']

Or just dont buy said Mac. I think they have a great interface but when 60% of your money is going out of your wallet and into their pocket just for the privilage of owning their brand rather than toward a tangible product i cry foul.

Edited by k6

Or just dont buy said Mac. I think they have a great interface but when 60% of your money is going out of your wallet and into their pocket just for the privilage of owning their brand rather than toward a tangible product i cry foul.
The tangible product is the better experience of using one' date=' not the fact that you have a cute little apple shape on the back of your computer. If you honestly don't like Macs better, then congrats you can save money by buying a PC. I'm assuming if the OP is considering getting a Mac at all it's because he thinks it will be an overall better computing experience when he's [i']not playing the game.

Unfortunately I don't spend 24 hrs a day playing WWIIOL, if I did I would just have a PC, but since I do spend almost every other waking hour using a computer for other things, I prefer to invest in getting myself the machine that will give me the most comfortable and enjoyable experience, which also happens to be a pretty good Windows machine when it needs to be. To me that's worth the extra cost, if there is any.

The tangible product is the better experience of using one' date=' not the fact that you have a cute little apple shape on the back of your computer. If you honestly don't like Macs better, then congrats you can save money by buying a PC. I'm assuming if the OP is considering getting a Mac at all it's because he thinks it will be an overall better computing experience when he's [i']not playing the game.

Unfortunately I don't spend 24 hrs a day playing WWIIOL, if I did I would just have a PC, but since I do spend almost every other waking hour using a computer for other things, I prefer to invest in getting myself the machine that will give me the most comfortable and enjoyable experience, which also happens to be a pretty good Windows machine when it needs to be. To me that's worth the extra cost, if there is any.

This is spot on. Its the difference between buying a BMW vs a Honda. Sure, they both perform the same job, and you can get "more" Honda for less money than the BMW, but the fact of the matter is, the BMW is going to be a more plesant experience, be built better, and perform missions that the Honda cannot. The BMW doesn't get you from point A to point B any differently than the Honda, but for some people, the extra cost is worth it.

So k6, please don't make it a "class" issue (by insinuating us Apple users are elitist or anything), nor make assumptions about Apple's pricing structure. Unless you work for Apple's marketing team, I'm fairly certain you have no idea what the profit margins are. Its called consumer preference...

Sport I agree with you.

I do know roughly what the margins are and they make very good money on them :)

The key to the final user experience is they control the ahrdware that goes in and the Unix based OS is very good anyway. Put them together with a nice GUI and the macs are far nicer to use.

I build my own PC's use them for various things and they run games very well. My business is macs ande I use the macs for all my business stuff as I trust them more and have less problems with my macs than a PC year on year.

Both have their place and benefits and the gap has closed in recent years.

They are more expensive but the cost is often worth it for many.

This is spot on. Its the difference between buying a BMW vs a Honda. Sure, they both perform the same job, and you can get "more" Honda for less money than the BMW, but the fact of the matter is, the BMW is going to be a more plesant experience, be built better, and perform missions that the Honda cannot. The BMW doesn't get you from point A to point B any differently than the Honda, but for some people, the extra cost is worth it.

So k6, please don't make it a "class" issue (by insinuating us Apple users are elitist or anything), nor make assumptions about Apple's pricing structure. Unless you work for Apple's marketing team, I'm fairly certain you have no idea what the profit margins are. Its called consumer preference...

Comparing a Honda to a PC vs the BMW to the Apple isn't an appropriate analogy.

There is very little a PC can't do that an Apple can do and vice versa. You're simply paying more for "simplicity" in software/hardware compatibility and design, and very expensive marketing with an Apple.

Comparing a Honda to a PC vs the BMW to the Apple isn't an appropriate analogy.

There is very little a PC can't do that an Apple can do and vice versa. You're simply paying more for "simplicity" in software/hardware compatibility and design, and very expensive marketing with an Apple.

Its a perfect analogy. Both do the exact same job - they're a car, they get you from point A to point B. Both do it very well in similar, but different fashions. BUT, the Honda, has a lower entry price, and with much less money, can be made to out perform the BMW in certain areas, much like a home-built PC vs a Mac. No matter what, though, the BMW (Mac) is going to be an OVERALL much better product, with a slightly higher value to the badge. Nothing you can do will make the Honda into a BMW, though performance wise, you can easily surpass it.

It really comes down to consumer preference, but from my experience, using PCs daily at work, and coming home to my Mac - I prefer the Mac in my personal life.

Man I missed the whole exchange. I have a Mac Pro Quad with a POS GT120, I get zillions of fps on both platforms (i am working on both Windows and Mac clients). Believe me as a whole the Mac version is more stable than the PC; which doesn't mean it has no bugs, just that it doesn't ctd nearly as often.

Latest hardware from Apple gets as good FPS as anything PC. This hasn't always been true, Apple has finally improved things enough. Even though I have a quad (8 cpus equivalent) the game only uses 1.05; its just the components and the opengl are finally optimized enough to keep the data flowing. Same is true of my nephew's new MBP, and generally the newer iMacs of today as well.

I play both platforms for testing (bootcamp for XP). The sound on Windows is different/better, the shaders work correctly; but the memory management is much worse. Playing for fun I always use the mac version (which I built from debug source and its not optimized at all and still gets high FPS).

If you are going to use Windows, 7 is the way to go.

Mac's have:

Great hardware (worth the cost)

Dual boot/support various OSes

OS X has almost no true viruses (phishing and like not counting)

OS X is reliable and predictable (I also experienced Windows users, and it always does random weirdness).

Mac hardware and software is extremely well integrated.

FireWire 800 is da bomb!

That said, Apple does make some really dumb products:

MacBook Air is just far too overpriced.

Apple TV could be better

MacMini is a little too much (more like, Apple has no really low cost system for those who want, but cannot afford it).

Anyway, Apple is still best on market. People buy Lexus and Mercedes for a good reason too. :)

Aside from you don't find Macs used at all in any engineering firm.

I use a mac for engineering... and autocad actually runs much faster on bootcamp with less memory and dig mem usage because vista is a mem whore. ;)

Macs are controlled, pcs arent really depends on the usage. I prefer mac but pc is leet for gaming hands down but that's changing with more studios using macs to create games more now than ever. blizzard, ea, activision are now using mac servers, macs for animation and especially sound quality. Macs are more artistic and have been since creation. WOW was made on macs for pcs... COD4 rendered on a mac hmm...

90% of music videos, movies and tv are edited and produced on macs.

pcs are awesome cheap render farms and leet DIY game machines to use.

But for creation, mem usage hands down vista blows... hardcore it wastes to much mem on processes even microsoft knows this.. that's why they are waiting for snow leopard to drop so they can copy its new 64bit coding and call it win7x incase you dont know its still the same dos and

os kernel structure as win 98 with a 64bit facelift. Ive been to microsoft conventions and macworld and OSX's release and Windows needs some new programmers same 120 guys in redmond wa vs 3000 worldwide mac pgrs doesn't cut it and windows has suffered since 1999 because of it.

Edited by deyoxman

Plus' date=' Macs handle pr0n better than PCs![/quote']

Aaaarrggghh… P00000rn!

I heard Windows banzzzors all p0rn. Why's that?

The key to the final user experience is they control the ahrdware that goes in and the Unix based OS is very good anyway. Put them together with a nice GUI and the macs are far nicer to use.

Infact, since Mac OS X v10.5 is OS X an officially licenced UNIX system. In other words, OS X is one of a few UNIX systems.

The other officially licenced UNIX systems is Mac OS X Server, AIX, HP-UX, IRIX, Solaris, Tru64 (formerly "Digital UNIX"), A/UX, and a part of z/OS.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0