• Announcements

• HEAVY265

New Forum Lead!   11/17/2019

It's with great pleasure to announce B2K as the new Forum Lead.   I am very confident he will be good for the forums, he has great ideas and direction for the future of the forums.
      Good luck sir and GOD speed.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
alfaracer

Need opinions on this system

27 posts in this topic

Should be fine.

http://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/saving/show.asp?id=162553

Customised for you a bit, will be nicer like this and I think that the free upgrade to W7 is worth it.

It has increased the cost by a bit but I assumed that you already have a screen so you could get rid of that screen that's selected in there and keep it around your original price.

I suggest replacing the Video card with something else.

I have to agree with you on that.

• VIDEO CARD: ATI Radeon HD 4850 PCI-E x16 512MB Video Card

That card has to go. I would at least purchase and 8800 series card or go for a nVidia 285, which will jack the price up a bit.

They put there processor that doesnt exist (ergo they lie to catch customers who dont know - means I wouldnt take from them a free glass of water). Also the motherboard doesnt offer you a reasonable upgrade path. Buying this would mean that you are getting overpriced crap from people who dont even have the decency to say that you are not getting a phenom II 620 but an athlon II 620 without all the cache memory the phenoms come with and which makes this game work much better.

I suggest you read up on how to build your own rig - countless articles on the internet and if stuck you can always come here. Its really not that hard.

^^^ This.

Go to www.overclockers.co.uk and look at their prebuilt systems. If you want to build your own (and I'd recommend that you do) their forums are full of people who love speccing machines to a budget. I'd stick with an nvidia graphics card as ATIs have historically (and even now) had problems with this game.

Building your own really isn't as scary as you might think.

Straight out of the door they are offering faster memory and a better graphics card for the same money:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-073-OE&groupid=43&catid=1445&subcat=

Edited by Rubbish

I suggest replacing the Video card with something else.

I changed it on my customized linky thing to a Nvidia 9800gt 1gb, should be good.

Not sure if building my own rig is something that is worth the stress for a £100 saving.........

Thanks for the advice though, thought that rig was too good to be true. I'm not too worried about the motherboard but if that processor is really not very good then obviously that's a big problem.

I will keep looking!

I have ordered tons of stuff from them over the years. They are reliable and quick to help if something goes wrong.

You should always be worried about the motherboard - if the cpu is the brain then think of the motherboard as the body. It's where every component plugs into and it's worth getting a decent one if you plan to have the system last a good long time.

As for that system the processor is more than fine, the graphics I would still switch over to an nvidia card (260 or 275).

1.31 will be shunting a lot of work currently done on the cpu to the gfx cards.

Edited by Rubbish

So has does something like this compare:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-062-OE

The problem is its quite alot more and I still need a monitor, I got the better graphics card though which instantly adds £100.

Is this a more trusted retailer?

You can go with the GTX260 which is a good card that only adds about £35 to your price.

How big of a monitor are you looking for?

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-001-OP

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-068-HY

Just quickly glancing over that site I found those you could get which are in a reasonable price range.

Thanks for all the great advice guys, I am very close to pressing the buy button, just one more question:

What operating system should I get and should I get a windows upgrade voucher?

I'm sure everyone has a different opinion on this, Vista seems to be a bit of a pain and I personally prefer XP but if its not gonna be good running the game in a years time I'll go to Vista. Also is it worth going for 64bit?

Yep, go 64 bit or you'll never be able to use more than 3-3.25 gigs of ram. I skipped windows vista completely but am now using win7 and it's great - so definitely worth getting a coupon.

I've used overclockers quite a few times and never had any problems with them. Only had one problem with any of their stuff (a motherboard) and they replaced it for me with the minimum of fuss. Other decent shops I use are ebuyer, dabs or scan, they've all served me quite well in the past.

Just something to add.

Do NOT take this power supply. People usually put nothing in it but:

- Indicated voltage is not true.

- You'll have to buy another one when it'll burst

- If you are unlucky, your other components will be impacted.

I think you really have to buy something reliable and power-efficient. At least, you will keep it a long time (7-years warranty on Corsair).

I recommend you a Corsair power-supply, or for the 500W, the Silver Power SPSS500 will be great.

(For the rest, I would personnaly take an Intel but AMDs are good value for money. 4850 is OK but take a 4890 or a GTX 275. But if you have a tight budget it'll be a bit too expensive perhaps)

I don't recommend getting Dual Core, for the reason of it will be outdated pretty soon since there are 3 processor types (quad core, i5 and i7) which are ahead of it.

Save up for a quad core.

Final spec which is now on order:

CPU: Intel Pentium Dual Core E5300 2.6Ghz @ 3.75Ghz

CPU Coolers: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro v2

Memory: 4GB (2X2GB) Corsair TwinX XMS2 DDR PC2-6400 (800) CAS 5-5-5-18

NVIDIA Graphics: 896MB XFX GTX 275 640MHz GPU 240 Cores 2268MHz GDDR3

ATI Graphics: *No ATI VGA Card Required* (NVIDIA Required)

Power Supply Unit: 650W NorthQ Black Magic Flex Compact Modular PSU 80%+ Eff

System Drives: 500 GB Samsung Spinpoint F3 7200 rpm 16MB Cache

Should be ok for a few years hopefully!

Final spec which is now on order:

CPU: Intel Pentium Dual Core E5300 2.6Ghz @ 3.75Ghz

CPU Coolers: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro v2

Memory: 4GB (2X2GB) Corsair TwinX XMS2 DDR PC2-6400 (800) CAS 5-5-5-18

NVIDIA Graphics: 896MB XFX GTX 275 640MHz GPU 240 Cores 2268MHz GDDR3

ATI Graphics: *No ATI VGA Card Required* (NVIDIA Required)

Power Supply Unit: 650W NorthQ Black Magic Flex Compact Modular PSU 80%+ Eff

System Drives: 500 GB Samsung Spinpoint F3 7200 rpm 16MB Cache

Should be ok for a few years hopefully!

I think the CPU is a bad choice. Going with anything other than i7 or at the very least a quad core at this point doesn't seem like a good Idea. I got my e6750 like 2 years ago and it still doesn't run the game as well as I'd like it to. My friend just got a new rig with an I7 and it runs wwiio brilliantly.

Hello,

Im kinda of a computer enthusiast and I would recommend to you build a new generation computer. Since you dont want to change it for a long time.

go for ddr3 motherboards and i7 or phenom II black edition new cpus.

I would not recomment gtx260 or 9800gt they both are fail gpu that were replaced ultra fast by nvidia.

4870 beats gtx260 and is cheaper

4850 beats 9800gt and is cheaper

Depending on your money I would recomend 5870 thats a badass gpu but still overpriced depending where you live.

The best cost/benefits card you can get nowdays is the 4890. It's relative cheap and great performace. You will be able to run all the games all maxed out for like 2 years.

For cpu I would recomend i7 with triple channel ddr3. If you cant afford it go phenom II black edition with dual channel ddr3.

building ddr2 and "old" gpus will make your new rig become already slow next year.

Surely with it overclocked to 3.75 it should still be pretty dam quick? Quad core was too expensive, I could have gone with Phenom but I thought intel was better?

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0