Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tigger6

Motherboard selection?

22 posts in this topic

I want to buy a desktop computer for wwiionline and what I'd call "home performance computing" (when me or my wife want to run some computing jobs that are too long for our aging thinkpads but too short and insignificant to send to the supercomputing center)

For a processor it seems the new i7s (with either socket) look good, but I have no idea whatsoever about motherboards. About 80% of all MBs I ever met were Asus ones and I was not always too happy about them (contained often strange chips which needed way too new kernels often resulting in day long installation). Only downside is that they seem to only have quad core ones and whoever needs 4 cores? 2 are enough. If I want to run a parallel job I'll run it on 1024 cores or sumtin'

What should I look for in a motherboard? I plan to put a single GTX275 or like in it. What does it mean if it says that it can do 2xxxMHz (OCed) memory? Does it mean that I can just plug any stick in or do I need a 2xxxMHz memory stick? They all contain extreme this and super that and their prices range from ~150$-~300$ so what is the difference?

Sorry, I'm a total noob to computer hardware. Thanks!

I've owned and used a...

Intel motherboards from intel themselfs

EVGA motherboard with Nforce chipset

Abit with Intel chipset

ASUS with AMD chipset

and GIGABYTE with Intel chipset

in my experience I found the offical brand intel boards to be stable but lacking alot of options in the BIOS.

I currently use a GIGABYTE board which not only is it stable, but comes with almost a 100 different options in the BIOS you can change, its very easy to turn alot of useless onboard slots off that you do not use. ex: USB 2.0 controller if you have no USB 2.0 stuff to plug into it.

What does it mean if it says that it can do 2xxxMHz (OCed) memory?

this is simply telling you the ram built into the video card is high speed for a game like WW2OL, probly best to go for the standard clocked video cards to save a few bucks.

EDIT: also the reason why the Intel processers have 4 cores, and Intel boards only use DDR3 ram now is to push the market towards a more modern tech based one.

like the air conditioner in a car, did you know if that car company had not pushed air conditioner to all its vehicles, it would not have turned into a standard feature found in almost if not all production cars?

Edited by whitten

this is simply telling you the ram built into the video card is high speed for a game like WW2OL, probly best to go for the standard clocked video cards to save a few bucks.

That was a statement about the memory slots in the MB, not the graphics card. Sorry, I wasn't clear. I suppose it means that the memory controller has to be overclocked to accept a 2GHz memory stick (?)

Edited by Tigger6

nah just means the motherboard will accept ram up to 2xxxMhz, gives you more options on the kind of ram you want to install.

I myself put in my board 2 sticks of 2GB OCZ blade series ram, they run at 1.8v @ 1066Mhz speeds, with 5-5-5-18 timings.

Timings for 2xxxMhz RAM are not good enough for me personally to want to opt for that (unless you get the über expensive OCZ Blade)

I would go for something in the 16xxMhz range but with really tight timings.

X58 FTW BTW!!

Timings for 2xxxMhz RAM are not good enough for me personally to want to opt for that (unless you get the über expensive OCZ Blade)

I would go for something in the 16xxMhz range but with really tight timings.

X58 FTW BTW!!

Ugh. What are timings? No idea what those silly w-x-y-z numbers mean!

Interesting. So far I am looking at:

I7 920

AsRock X58 Extreme MB

Mushkin XP3-12800 3x2GB, DDR3-1600, CL7-8-7-20@1.65V

(Never heard of muchkin before, but they have good timings it seems?)

Gainward GTX-275 896MB..

Some sort of 500W PSU

+24 inch samsung display.

Together with other hardware about 1750 CHF (~1600$)

Interesting. So far I am looking at:

I7 920

AsRock X58 Extreme MB

Mushkin XP3-12800 3x2GB, DDR3-1600, CL7-8-7-20@1.65V

(Never heard of muchkin before, but they have good timings it seems?)

Gainward GTX-275 896MB..

Some sort of 500W PSU

+24 inch samsung display.

Together with other hardware about 1750 CHF (~1600$)

CPU is good.

I'd recommend one of the larger named motherboard brands.

never used mushkin before but I know for a fact that OCZ ram works almost 100% of the time on a GIGABYTE motherboard.

get a BFG instead the lifetime warranty will come in handy.

PSU is lacking get a minimum of 750W, I recommend a thermaltake modular drive as that is what I use and the power output is VERY stable.

btw I'm currently looking into some of the hardware you suggested and looking for alternatives if any.

however if money is tight, the only thing I recommend changing is the PSU.

Edited by whitten

CPU is good.

I'd recommend one of the larger named motherboard brands.

asrock is a rather good and new motherboard company. They have been featured on Tom's Hardware a couple of times.

Check this article out. Asrock makes some good motherboards and they are very easy to install and work with haven't had any problems with any of the PC's I have made for friends with the asrock motherboards. They are rather cheap and beat out the bigger companies in cheapness with a lot of features.

however if money is tight, the only thing I recommend changing is the PSU.

Yeah, I figured as much. As for the MB, I read reviews earlier and as nate says, it seems to be rather solid.

I usually buy ASUS all the way, but if I lived in the US I might buy EVGA.

Read the review of the Motherboard from asrock, and it looks pretty sweet too!

Using that as an indicator of the power in the X58 would be an error.

Why? What would be good? Is there any difference except for the higher memory bandwidth?

Difference is - try to open WWIIol 3-4 times over with a P55 - and then with a X58

Or try to just simply leave MS Word, Adobe Photoshop etc etc open and then hit WWIIol.

When I do those things on my X58... nothing, cant feel it at all, no difference.

Had x3 WWIIol windows open, still same FPS - was testing benchmarks also at a point and had Far Cry 2 open to check FPS, got the same 60 FPS as always (Vsync) - shut it down and realised I had WWIIol running in the background also :D

The X58 is a MONSTER, the P55 might get you same FPS in the games of today more or less, but it ends there.

The games that will utilize the board properly will leave the P55 behind totally.

Buy a P55 and you get a PC that will manage the games of today, buy a X58 and you will not have to buy a new MoBo right away over the next 2-3 years (I usually buy a new PC every 5th year, and try to make it so I get the latest generation - coz they will easily last those 5 years)

I want to buy a desktop computer for wwiionline and what I'd call "home performance computing" (when me or my wife want to run some computing jobs that are too long for our aging thinkpads but too short and insignificant to send to the supercomputing center)

For a processor it seems the new i7s (with either socket) look good, but I have no idea whatsoever about motherboards. About 80% of all MBs I ever met were Asus ones and I was not always too happy about them (contained often strange chips which needed way too new kernels often resulting in day long installation). Only downside is that they seem to only have quad core ones and whoever needs 4 cores? 2 are enough. If I want to run a parallel job I'll run it on 1024 cores or sumtin'

What should I look for in a motherboard? I plan to put a single GTX275 or like in it. What does it mean if it says that it can do 2xxxMHz (OCed) memory? Does it mean that I can just plug any stick in or do I need a 2xxxMHz memory stick? They all contain extreme this and super that and their prices range from ~150$-~300$ so what is the difference?

Sorry, I'm a total noob to computer hardware. Thanks!

For starters some mobo's allow you to overclock cpu's, gpu's and RAM

much easier and safer then others. Mine for instance. ASUS Rampage

Formula allows me to overclock several differnet ways at desktop.

It also has two video card slots that you can run at 16x versus one

at 16x and one at 8x, like my previous ASUS P5Q. Keep asking questions

and learn what's available, what fits your needs for the long term.

GL

Intel i7 920 (Nehalem is better on home computing,the new i7 is better for gaming..socket 1366.)

Asus P6T Deluxe V2

6Gb Corsair Dominator Twin3X 1600MHz (CL8) 3x2Gb

Radeon HD5870 1Gb

Corsair HX650 (650W Modular PSU,really good quality.)

A good roomy case,preferably a bigtower (Your choice..)

-----------------

Cheaper package great for gaming and regular stuff:

Intel i5 750 (Socket 1156) <-- Replace with i7 860 if you wish.

Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3 <-- Replace with Asus Maximus III Formula if you wish.

8Gb Corsair Dominator GT PC12800/1600MHz CL8 (4x2Gb)

Radeon HD5850 1Gb

Corsair HX650

A bigtower..

Edited by Blitz92

Blitz I fail to see how the Nehalem is better for home computing unless you mean its cheaper and will deliver a not noticeable difference if you are not in the habit of pushing your PC.

Also, why go for the 4th RAM stick? if you got DDR3 keep it to 3 and go for 6Gb, you wont feel any difference from 6->8 Gb (nor from 6 -> 12 Gb) but you will loose a little performance.

Also about the x3 SLI setup, if that is what you want then there is only 1 board for you if you want true 16/16/16 on your PCI Express - the Asus P6T WS which (havent been reading up lately, so might be another one who have the same capabilities) will support true 16x speed on all 3 graphics cards - others will go down to 8x due to the last PCI express channel only runs at 8x.

Edited by Szyporyn

Asus Rampage 1 or 2 are good. I have rampage 2 with i7 920 and 2 old gtx 7800's.. get well into the hundred fps full detail

CHZACC

Szyporyn:

P55 is running at dual channel,not triple channel,so 4 sticks is better than 3.

Also the Nehalem has been proven to be better on stuff like packing rars,slightly faster in non gaming applications.

Note: The game does not like the ATI drivers,hopefully that will be fixed in 1.31.

Edited by Blitz92

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0