Followers 0
AHWULF

New Stuff From Apple!

23 posts in this topic

http://www.apple.com/

overview_hero1_20091020.png

And a freaky magic mouse:

hero_1_20091020.jpg

Plus new Mini and Macbook. Note the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M isn't a wonderful card but does meet the likely minimum specs for 1.31. It's fillrate is pretty lame but otherwise should work OK.

Edited by AHWULF

This is just plain painful.

The thing is that since we have a new patch coming out am I considering a new iMac. Only problem is that the iMac I have (1st Aluminium generation from August 2007) runs like a charm and is still up to par with everything. So before today didn't I have a real good reason to buy a new one. Maybe I can convince the wifey we need two iMacs in the house. :rolleyes:

Any early estimations how much better the Quad 2.8MHz i7 will run WWIIOL compared to the Dual 3.33MHz i5 version?

Btw, are you sure WWIIOL can get good performance on the GeForce 9400M circuit instead of a real GPU-card with its own dedicated memory Ahwulf? Are it really that powerful?

The 4 core processor should be similar in performance not better. Remember 95% of the app runs in one thread so one core is used for the most part. There are some improvements in the processor and other hardware so it might eke out some improvement due to that. ALso these new processors can forcefeed one core more if its most of the current workload.

My MacPro has similar specs (266 quad). I get great FPS running the debug version of the app :-) even with the crappy GT120 (though about 4x the 9400M). Note that if I had a GT285, its 10X faster than the GT120.

If you have plenty of ram I imagine the GeForce 9400M should be OK, the RAM is actually running faster on the motherboard than a GPU normally does, though there is some bottlenecking. The principal issue with the 9400M is its pretty slow GPU, so the odds are binoc views and lots of trees might be an issue. Any video card with an M at the end isn't going to be the best.

I'd get the imac27, that ATI card is much better.

Edited by AHWULF

The highend iMac is exactly what I was looking for six months ago when I got my MacPro. Could have saved $1000 and had a bigger screen to boot. Ah, progress...

Yeah I could have waited also but I already had a 24 and 20 monitors so it made no sense to get an iMac. Mac Pro very good though :-)

Must admit I was a little caught out and surprised by the line up.

I mean using 21.5 inches dropping the 24 or any mid sized and going 27 inch.

A server mac mini !!! - never saw that one and pleased to see the multi touch mouse - be interesting to see how it works.

Some nice new pieces and machines there.

FYI!

The monitor port works both ways on the 27" iMac. This means the 27" iMacs can dubble as 27" Displays (for a Mac Pro for instance). :)

For $1000 less the 30" Display do you also get a computer behind the Display. :cool:

27-inch models: 2560 by 1440 pixels

30-inch models: 2560 by 1600 pixels

From the iMac tech specs

Mini DisplayPort output port with support for DVI, VGA, and dual-link DVI (adapters sold separately). 27-inch models also support input from external DisplayPort sources (adapters sold separately).

Now what will they come up with next? :D

An important feature of the Mac Pro that hasn't been mentioned is that it keeps my feet warm under my desk.

Rickb multiplied the mouse position change by two to speed it up. I am working on the cursor thing so I might experiment.

we just got the 27's in yesterday.. got to play around with a few and all I can say is, damn those are huge!

the magic mouse is a little wierd.. i wouldnt want to game with it i dont think. Wish I had not bought a 24" a few months ago :(

I thought my 24 was big, can't imagine a 27. I'd like to try a magical mouse before I bought one, I worry its too low for my big hands.

I tried one yesterday in the Apple shop, the screen is absolutely beautiful, the mouse on the other hand... I really don't think its any good for gaming, nor for graphics, I really don't see any benefit there at all.

Avi

I would have liked to be able to use the mouse surface as a trackpad. The new Wacom touch tablets look pretty cool in that respect.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0