Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ZEBBEEE

New suggested Graphical User Interface Unvealed

54 posts in this topic

Nice work on that, Here's one idea that I thought of a few days ago:

How about adding a "Quick Play" button for either people looking to jump in and out of battle (because of time constraints) and new players. The target Brigade and mission would be set either automatically (most active mission) or by the HC (where reinforcements are needed).

This should also help get reinforcements where needed quickly.

I like your version of the UI a lot.

something along these lines IS required for the game to ensure infantry work in units.

Above all else this is important.

If I had the time I would have done something similar with the screenshots good work man this is nice stuff.

nice effect Zebbeee, and i think this kind of suggestion is not the 1st time

I like add what I said before in here, too

this game is huge, and we need more chain of command UI tools for officer to actually set objectives and targets

first the map should have billions of grid instead of town link currently

each AO & DO should have OIC to set where to attack, where to defense, then platoon leaders shall be next lower level command to be more precious on areas of OIC setup

platoon leaders shall also have objectives and targets set to squads

most important, king of kill score system suck balls, and we shall have objective points instead

each squad successfully hold defense area shall all get same objective points over period of time in that squad

squads able to capture attack objective shall all get same objective points

squad leader, platoon leader, OIC shall also get some kind of command points to show record of their command ability

what we have now is only chat scamming ( not really ), and it is all relay on player's experience and knowledge of the game to do what they think they shall do

if we can have more lower level objective and target assignment, everyone shall have much better idea what need to be done, and officer will have much better ideas of what is happening if the objectives are achieved or not

that shall make this much better war sim, but i am not sure if the RAT is looking at this direction

I dig the effort, as well as the basic idea (to re-design the UI as well as the tools).

But this is overly complex.

I dig the effort, as well as the basic idea (to re-design the UI as well as the tools).

But this is overly complex.

this game is already more complex then any fps out there, and if we need control all the actions, what is better than have a complex UI ?

this game is already more complex then any fps out there' date=' and if we need control all the actions, what is better than have a complex UI ?[/quote']

Complex is not the same as advanced.

Maybe there can be a "beginner" UI and an "advanced" UI that you can select once you learn the ropes? It's pretty common for programs to have such a functionality. The "simple" UI might just have a "wizard" for finding the current ongoing battles or something, and the advanced would have all the functionality talked about here.

Even after playing for 5 years on and off, I still consider myself very much on the newbie end of the learning curve.

I still remember my first time logging in all those years ago. Back then my poor laptop struggled to load the game, and when I finally got in the interface that greeted me (although old looking) was very straight forward.

Pick a side - Pick Army, Navy or Air - Pick a Brigade/Mission (this was meaningless to me at that time I just wanted in so I could pew pew) - Pick a Unit type and away we go.

I think it needs to be kept this simple - because the game itself has a pretty steep learning curve - which is one of the compelling reasones I still play it.

I like the idea of an advanced UI option for those inclined - but I think that the majority of active players would probably keep the simple one. I realise that High Command and Mission Leaders need some advanced features, but I am guessing that the majority of players are not in this category (hell after 5 years I still don't do any of that stuff).

The Quick Play idea makes sense - as long as there is an easy path for regular folks to jump in and start playing the game - after all that's the real reason for logging in.

Lastly, well done on all the work you are doing with stimulating discussion on the UI - I most certainly think that the UI (both in game and pre-game) needs some major work - so it's good to see this all being discussed.

Edited by jadeia

Welp, I thought I would chime in on this thread.

As someone who was around prior to release and was a heavy player for years I have a good perspective on how things have changed. I used to be a squad player who played for hours at time. Life changes....

After not having played for a few years I recently started playing again. I am no longer in a squad nor am I interested in being in one. When I get a chance to play it is typically for about 30 minutes at a time. Given that I have so little time in game I almost never join in on an attack mission. Attacking usually takes a lot of coordination and it is something that works well as a lone wolf. It also takes far too long to get from an FB or MS to a point where you are in a good fight. More often then not you get killed after a 10 to 20 minute spawn where you really haven't have a chance to do anything yet.

Instead, I look to jump in on defense missions for towns that are being attacked. The problem is that the interface isn't conducive to someone like me who is seeking instant action. I spend FAR too much time looking for a city that is under attack (or threat), with a Brigade, and a mission. I know folks will point to the list of missions that first appear in the UI but they don't work effectively for finding an immediate fight.

Personally, I HATE the interface changes that were made when Brigades, etc. were introduced to the game. I understand why it is necessary to some extent but it drains my will to live on some nights. There have to be others out there who feel the same way.

What I would like to see is a way for the HCs to designate a hot battle or fight as the Instant Action Zone. When users spawn in there would be an Instant Action button on the UI that they could choose if they wanted that will bypass the normal UI and go right to that spot designated by the HCs. It might even be possible to have the entire thing automated and not involve the HCs at all. If the servers can track were the biggest fights are at any given time then that info can be used to automatically direct the Instant Action button to take the player to the place that has been hottest in the last 5 minutes (or something like that).

I don't really care about the strategic aspects of the game anymore. On the nights where I do get to play I just want to grab a rifle and jump right into the fight to maximize the few minutes that I do get to play.

- Vic

I have always thought that the way the UI is setup now is backwards. When you click on a brigade, it shows you what town it is associated with. I think the way it should be is you choose the town and it shows you the associated brigades if any. When you take a quick look at the map, sometimes you see towns that are contested, and you want to spawn in there. Instead of clicking through the brigades and finding the one that is assigned, you should just be able to click on the town and it shows you the available brigades. That being said, I wouldn't want the UI to change that much. When I look at old screenies and movies, each one seems like it had a different UI. At some point, it needs to be consistent.

Most people would rather just be able to click on a town...click on the depot/ab they want to spawn at in that town...pick their unit and spawn in.

Anything else is basically unwanted and unneeded by most

more depth of detail on the screens is great...BUT ONLY if you also allow for click in spawning that 100% bypasses ALL of the detailed screens

Most people would rather just be able to click on a town...click on the depot/ab they want to spawn at in that town...pick their unit and spawn in.

Anything else is basically unwanted and unneeded by most

more depth of detail on the screens is great...BUT ONLY if you also allow for click in spawning that 100% bypasses ALL of the detailed screens

Yeah, that is pretty much what I am driving at. I loved it when we were able to do that but having that ability completely kills the strategic side of the game for the half of the crowd that is really into that. That is why I suggested the "Instant Action Button" concept. If I can login, click an Instant Action Button and be presented with the weapon reservation screen for a spawn point that was in a town where an active fight was under way that would solve my issue. I would even be happy if clicking that button automatically spawned me as a rifleman as long as it dropped me in a fight.

I prefer the current than that one its overly complex has too much information.

A good UI followd the principle "Less is More".

But it's a good discussion.

That UI is way to busy for its own good. Every single convention that makes a modern UI useable has been completely left out in that design. You've got a case of 90s PC game right there where the developers decide to cram as much info on screen as possible.

This makes learning things difficult and clutters the screen for even advanced users.

Less is more is the key. Finding ways of presenting more information with less UI elements. It's very difficult. Effective UI development is one of the most difficult things to do for any software project.

Edited by blato639

My change priorities would be:

1. EWS-Linked AO's

2. Dynamic mission creation

3. Remove origin for missions, join a mission from anywhere

4. Squad missions

5. Real HC/tactical coordination tools

Even a high-res splash screen and finished interactive user interface will mean a big impact (especially if you want to compete a permanent position vs. other games on lets say Steam).

With finished I mean green curves that run over smoothly in a nice high-res menu. The current one is too old school. Same goes for the WWIIOL shortcut icon. Needs to go high-def.

Remove the white lines from the character images, put some gradients on buttons. Just pull down some shades on lettering.

The login screen seems like HTML content. CSS is out there, I suggest you guys use it for a nice and well designed visual look & impact.

wow, a LOT of work put in there...

I agree that some of it is too busy for my liking but some of the suggestions are ones that SHOULD have been obvious when the UI was last updated

Particularly the "town selection" where clicking on a location brings up a selection screen for the units that are active there (including air or naval since the bases for those are rarely nearby)

Nothing more frustrating than seeing an urgent call for help and having to sift through two personas and a dozen brigades to figure out which one is the unit that needs you :(

even before a major overhaul of the UI happens, I wonder if it is possible to incorporate a "9-1-1" popup link that HC could activate when they are eager/desperate to get players into a specific location

you see all the time HC messages on the side channel saying things like:

[A] ALLIES - Dinant needs defenders - spawn there now!!

wouldn't it be cool if a little box appeared that said

* 9-1-1 *

* DEFEND DINANT *

* oic mRsmOOthy *

******************** my apologies for the ASCII graphics :)

and when you click on it, it moves you to the correct brigade screen in order to join the particular mission that HC is trying to promote

even cooler, a email message that contains a link that when clicked, opens the game and starts you right at the place indicated by the 9-1-1 button

how hard would this kind of stuff be to add?

this could cross over to the rapid assault development too, since that's the kind of quick response, jump right in kind of atmosphere that RA brings

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0