• Announcements

• SNIPER62

64-bit is LIVE   03/27/2020

CHIMM: 64-bit client is now LIVE and Campaign 172 continues!  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tjalle

New iMac 27"

22 posts in this topic

After 19 years of only owning pc:s I need some support when thinking going to Mac instead. I have been looking at the new iMac 27" quad core 2,66 GHz Intel i5 with the ATI Radeon 4850 512MB, 4GB RAM. The main reason is the screen, it is simply amazing. Now to the "support" question: will this rig run the game, with all eyecandy on in 1.31, with acceptable fps?

Thanks in advace!

Tjalle

Actually that's a great rig for just about anything including 1.31. Even 1.30 will scream. I have a MacPro with a lowly GT120 and run a debug version of 1.30 and it rocks. The GT120 is bottom dwelling in 1.31; your video card is top end.

It's a great bootcamp rig too if you go that way. THe i7 processor is benchmarking close to my macpro quad.

i7_geek.gif

ALso, video benchmarks:

neh14_oev.gif

Edited by AHWULF

A nice machine for sure.

Just got one for a client and must say I'm pretty impressed with it.

Even the 3.06 core duo version is pretty good but the 4670 is not a great card. OK but not fantastic.

The 4850 is a good card and will do well - it's not as nice as a GT260 - 280 but pretty good.

Will run the game pretty well and of course you always have bootcamp options if you ever want to try Win XP or Win7 in the future - I am sure you have XP knocking around so you really do get two machines in one.

Buy it :)

Edited by badger77

tjalle: I was a hard core PC supporter, then one day it occurred to me that this was the only thing in my life that failed at least once a day. If my blue jeans fell off once a day, or my car stalled once a day, I would be furious. But my freezing, crashing, stalling, failing, virus infected PC got a pass. So I switched...and its been great. I'll never go back to PC. For anything. And WWIIOL, with the rig you are proposing, will fly. Enjoy.

Thanks for all feedback, the order is placed at Apple and will ship at 1:st of december. Looking forward to see you in field!

S!

Tjalle

Once you go Mac, you never go back....

PS: Since I switched, my Dad, Mom, wife, office, and brother all switched. It's like a virus.

One note of caution, some PC users with newer ati 4xxx video cards are reporting crashes in 1.30 and closed beta 1.31. Mac users have been playing with the 4870 so it might be PC driver problems. Generally APple writes the drivers for the cards they ship.

Might want to test the ATI Radeon HD 4870 since generally all Mac Pro's come with this card as their high-end graphics card. I have a Mac Pro 8-core 3.2 processor and I get frame rates on the high end of 20-30 fps in open fields, and 10-13 fps around big cities and around FBs with medium action. Should it be this slow? I am running Snow Leopard and have 12GB of memory.

Let me know if you need help testing since this rig is relatively new.

Regards,

Robert (a.k.a bugoff):)

Edited by bugoff

Something is not right. I have a MacPro quad with the crappy gt120 and my frame rates are 60+ with a debug version no less (130). Snow Leopard 6GB.

Try turning off all the shaders first, then add one at a time. The shaders in 130 are fairly broken, its possible one is killing your performance.

I tried turning off the shaders, which did not make a difference. I was wondering if my resolution could be causing it to slow down. The native resolution of my monitor (Apple LED Display) is 1920 x 1200. I have the game set for best quality and it looks pretty good. Apple came out with this new mini monitor jack so I am kind of limited to what video card I can buy. Apple only offers the Nvidia GT120 or the ATI Radeon 4870. I went with the ATI 4870 since it was the fastest of the two cards. Would greatly appreciate any suggestions to try to fix this problem.

Regards,

Robert (a.k.a. bugoff)

Edited by bugoff

The 4870 was the one to go for.

If your getting poor performance then try some of the other settings ingame.

Firstly you should run both your desktop and game at native resolution so thats good.

Turn off a few things in the game - My favourites were water reflections and radial clutter - turn that off. There may be a few others but haven't had to do it for a while.

Maybe turn down shadows etc - see what makes a real difference. Spawn into the same place offline, look in the same direction record your fps and look for big jumps or drops.

I tried turning everything off; Shaders, Shadow, Water Reflection, Dithering, Radial clutter, sound 64, etc. I also went offline. I am getting 23-30 fps in the CP, Open field or throwing a grenade. Even with everything off it still looks the same, as far as I can tell. Yes I restarted my machine as well.

Robert

Edited by bugoff

Just got my Mac back from fedex, I'm home again.

That's so odd, not sure why the card would act so bizarro slow. I may buy one of these (or get our ATI rep to give me one for free!). Is anyone else having this problem with a 4870?

Like I said my MP with the crappy GT120 gets great FPS everywhere in 1.30.

bugoff send me an email requesting closed beta status and cc gophur (my email is ahwulf at playnet). We're not done yet with everything but once I get a mac beta build it would be nice to see what your rig does on 1.31. Hopefully Monday I can massage the build system into giving up a real mac beta.

Just got my Mac back from fedex, I'm home again.

That's so odd, not sure why the card would act so bizarro slow. I may buy one of these (or get our ATI rep to give me one for free!). Is anyone else having this problem with a 4870?

Like I said my MP with the crappy GT120 gets great FPS everywhere in 1.30.

bugoff send me an email requesting closed beta status and cc gophur (my email is ahwulf at playnet). We're not done yet with everything but once I get a mac beta build it would be nice to see what your rig does on 1.31. Hopefully Monday I can massage the build system into giving up a real mac beta.

Hi ahwulf,

I spoke with Apple and they seemed to agree that the framerate seemed slow. They are sending me a replacement ATI Radeon HD 4870 just to rule out anything wrong with the video card.

I was really surprised that Apple would agree to do that especially when I told them what it was for. I guess you have some fans at Apple. I also installed Battleground Europe on my MacBook Pro and did receive fps in the 60+ range. So I am baffled as well.

I will drop you an email regarding the closed beta. I think this would be a good machine to test on since it is on the high-end and because it is a current standard build for Apple.

Regards,

Robert (a.k.a bugoff)

Cool, it just makes no sense, maybe its a hardware problem. I really want to get a nvidia 285 instead of the 4870.

I went ahead and ordered the Nvidia GTX 285 so I can try 1.31 with both cards. Hopefully I will be able to give you benchmarks on both cards assuming the GTX drivers work with Snow Leopard. 10.6.2.

Robert

Edited by bugoff

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0