Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
khbigjoe

Fraps and FPS

24 posts in this topic

What settings do people use for fraps?

Its ok at the moment for me but id like a bit more FPS whilst still getting a decent quality capture.

Any tips?

All my shadows are off. Density is off. Texture reduction is on. Limit LOD and DOF are both on too.

I record full screen, sound and at 60fps.

All my shadows are off. Density is off. Texture reduction is on. Limit LOD and DOF are both on too.

I record full screen, sound and at 60fps.

yeah but the fact that you even GET 60 fps in the first place... lol :)

All settings in game are maxed for me, play at 50-70 FPS, record at 50-60 FPS.

Hardware has a lot to do with it. What are your specs?

Hardware has a lot to do with it. What are your specs?

The question is, what are yours?

I run a dual core AMD 2.6 windsor on a gigabyte ma785tg-ud3h mobo. Nvidia 9600GT, 8 gig OCZ gold ddr2 800 (4x2gb) Termaltake toughpower 650 watt ps

I get 30fps

The question is, what are yours?

I run a dual core AMD 2.6 windsor on a gigabyte ma785tg-ud3h mobo. Nvidia 9600GT, 8 gig OCZ gold ddr2 800 (4x2gb) Termaltake toughpower 650 watt ps

I get 30fps

You'd laugh if I told you. :D

Dell Precision M6300 and yes it's a Laptop.

Intel T9300 at 2.5ghz, 4gb DDR2 @ 677mhz, nVidia FX3600M with 512mb RAM, 250gb SATA HDD, Windows XP Pro x64. I'm using a 22" External monitor on the DVI running at 1024x768 (I can see planes better, Framte rate unaffected by increasing resolution).

I attribute it to having an OpenGL Certified Card instead of a Gaming card designed around Direct3D. It is, after all, an OpenGL game. The disadvantage is I never see framerates much higher than 75FPS, but the good thing is unless Windows needs a reboot to dump RAM, I rarely dip into the 40's.

Edited by Hick

MB: Asus P5Q pro

CPU: Q9550 OC @ 3.8GHz

RAM: Brand escapes me....8GB

GPU: ATI 4850x2..and another 4850.....I've got 2x24" monitors

SB: SoundBlaster Extreme Gamer

HDD: 1x320GB for OS.....1x750GB for downloads.....1x1TB for Fraps....1x1TB for Perminant Storage

I think the resolution may have a say in the FPS because no matter the settings in Fraps I have yet to record over 40fps. V-sync on or off what ever.

Also there is an ever so slight slowdown while I record with Fraps. Playable but annoying. (40 fps with fraps is jittery than 40 fps with Fraps off. Ofcourse its because I am recording but I would think my system should handle it no problem. Guess it's a side effect of recording I must cope with. But playing the video back is smooth as silk.

Edited by panda1k

I think the resolution may have a say in the FPS because no matter the settings in Fraps I have yet to record over 40fps. V-sync on or off what ever.

Also there is an ever so slight slowdown while I record with Fraps. Playable but annoying. (40 fps with fraps is jittery than 40 fps with Fraps off. Ofcourse its because I am recording but I would think my system should handle it no problem. Guess it's a side effect of recording I must cope with. But playing the video back is smooth as silk.

Ah this is pretty much the case with me. My FPS is usually 60-70 and it drops when i record with fraps but the game is still playable. It slows down quite a bit as you describe even though fps are still 40 roughly. Sometimes my screen will freeze for a second or two while reording too.

Does everyone have this 'slowing' during recording? or is there a way to stop this?

I tried guncam and it was hard to notice a difference during recording but video quality wasnt that good

I think it depends on your processor right? I mean on a dual core fraps will try and run along side either your game or your idol processes, so it will always fill up your computer. If you have a quad core or an i7 the fraps (which is just a screen and audio output capture) should run on a seperate core and therefore not effect the game right?

I think it depends on your processor right? I mean on a dual core fraps will try and run along side either your game or your idol processes' date=' so it will always fill up your computer. If you have a quad core or an i7 the fraps (which is just a screen and audio output capture) should run on a seperate core and therefore not effect the game right?[/quote']

I think processor, ram, and OS would have everything to do with it.

The idea of the game and Fraps running on seperate cores would seem to indicate less affect on the game but then again I'm not sure how much RAM Fraps requires.

I have a stupidly fast computer (4 multithreaded = ~8 cores), GTX275 and 6GB of fast memory.

I wanted to fraps stuff yesterday on the training server to look at later, first fight went alright (FPS dropped to 60 flat to sync), second fight I got horrible stutters in the middle and had to turn fraps off. Any time I wanted to turn it on again I got those horrible stutters again. By horrible stutters I mean 0.1-0.5fps and such. Maybe it can be seen in the videos, I'll check it.

Your hard drive also needs to be taken into consideration. Fraps will kill your FPS if your hard drive is extremely fragmented. Also the best way to use Fraps is to have a second hard drive and use that to record your Fraps on.

My system specs

Intel Q9400 @ 3.04 ghz

ATI 3600 (crappiest video card I have ever owned)

8 GB Ram

1 500 GB HD

1 250 GB HD (For Fraps and Games only)

When I had my 8800 fraps would run at 50-100. With this POS 3600 my FPS while recording goes from 10-50 randomly.

Your hard drive also needs to be taken into consideration. Fraps will kill your FPS if your hard drive is extremely fragmented. Also the best way to use Fraps is to have a second hard drive and use that to record your Fraps on.

My system specs

Intel Q9400 @ 3.04 ghz

ATI 3600 (crappiest video card I have ever owned)

8 GB Ram

1 500 GB HD

1 250 GB HD (For Fraps and Games only)

When I had my 8800 fraps would run at 50-100. With this POS 3600 my FPS while recording goes from 10-50 randomly.

Wow, what is your resolution? It's gotta be my Motherboard then.

Oh yes, it will be processor and Hard Drive Speed. Sorry I forgot earlier, knew I was missing something.

Basically Fraps is saving each individual frame on your computer so your hard drives speed is very important.

Obviously you will achieve the greatest success with a solid state drive, which is almost instant load and save of anything, but they are expensive (over $100 for something like 30gb of space). Basically what is you hard drives RPMs? (will be a number like 7200rpm or 5400rpm)

Wow' date=' what is your resolution? It's gotta be my Motherboard then.[/quote']

1280x1024

I don't know why I got so good of a performance with the 8800 though. But that is what I would get. Now I only get about 10-50 FPS with Fraps on with this POS ATI Card.

I have noticed that Fraps will kill your FPS if you start running low on HD space. Once you start to get below 50GB left in HD space Fraps starts kicking the sheeet out of your FPS dragging it down to unplayable levels.

Remember to delete any recordings that you will not be using quickly. The Fraps recordings can be rather big in size. I had one that was about 8gb in size one time. Also if you don't mind not recording the sounds then turn that option off that can kill your FPS also.

1280x1024

I don't know why I got so good of a performance with the 8800 though. But that is what I would get. Now I only get about 10-50 FPS with Fraps on with this POS ATI Card.

I have noticed that Fraps will kill your FPS if you start running low on HD space. Once you start to get below 50GB left in HD space Fraps starts kicking the sheeet out of your FPS dragging it down to unplayable levels.

Remember to delete any recordings that you will not be using quickly. The Fraps recordings can be rather big in size. I had one that was about 8gb in size one time. Also if you don't mind not recording the sounds then turn that option off that can kill your FPS also.

I've only got 50GB used out of a 1TB drive...well what ever lol. fps decent for me. I'm just greedy. 30 fps is more than enough.

I've only got 50GB used out of a 1TB drive...well what ever lol. fps decent for me. I'm just greedy. 30 fps is more than enough.

That is what I normally get in combat but when it is just me and 1 or 3 other planes it can be higher.

I get some 60fps average with relatively low settings, 100+ flying, down to 30s in big cities/heavily crowded areas. When i start Fraps, fps drops to solid 8(!) no matter what Fraps settings i use... any suggestions?

Sys info:

Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.vistasp2_gdr.091208-0542)

System Manufacturer: HP-Pavilion

System Model: KA909AA-UUW m9151.sc

BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+ (2 CPUs), ~2.6GHz

Memory: 3070MB RAM

Page File: 2655MB used, 3698MB available

Windows Dir: C:\Windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 10

Card name: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series

Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.

Chip type: ATI display adapter (0x9460)

DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9460&SUBSYS_E115174B&REV_00

Display Memory: 2298 MB

Dedicated Memory: 1019 MB

Shared Memory: 1279 MB

Current Mode: 1680 x 1050 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Driver Name: atiumdag.dll,atidxx32.dll,atidxx64,atiumdva.cap,atiumd64,atiumd6a,atitmm64

Driver Version: 8.14.0010.0678 (English)

DDI Version: 10.1

Driver Attributes: Final Retail

Driver Date/Size: 7/2/2009 18:59:37, 3105280 bytes

MB: Asus P5Q pro

CPU: Q9550 OC @ 3.8GHz

RAM: Brand escapes me....8GB

GPU: ATI 4850x2..and another 4850.....I've got 2x24" monitors

SB: SoundBlaster Extreme Gamer

HDD: 1x320GB for OS.....1x750GB for downloads.....1x1TB for Fraps....1x1TB for Perminant Storage

did you try selecting "record at half resolution" in fraps. think its two buttons that say full size and half size. might help you out some.

You really need a Quad core but there is a slight work around

open up task manager (ctrl+alt+del) and right click the ww2 exe and select " set affinity" I'd select Core 0 and uncheck Core 1

Scroll over to the fraps exe and do the same thing. But make it run on Core 1 and not on core 0

That way one core should be running the game, while the other core is running fraps.

But with a quad you can set three cores for fraps and 1 for ww2 and get away with super recording.

Edited by indo420

1280x1024

probably cause that 8800 had 96 Shader processing units and your ATi card has the equivalent of 4 Nvidia SPU's with a 128 bit path, (nvidia 8800 has 320bit)

Edited by indo420

probably cause that 8800 had 96 Shader processing units and your ATi card has the equivalent of 4 Nvidia SPU's with a 128 bit path' date=' (nvidia 8800 has 320bit)[/quote']

Now that I have a 4890 I get about the same performance as I did with the 8800. Though for some strange reason I can't run at the highest res my monitor allows me to run at without the ATI drivers crashing in no matter what game I play.

Now that I have a 4890 I get about the same performance as I did with the 8800. Though for some strange reason I can't run at the highest res my monitor allows me to run at without the ATI drivers crashing in no matter what game I play.

Problem is that there is no gain with dual cards in this game. I'd rather say it's the opposite. I made some tests on my old system with the 3870x2 and a single 3870 and the single card performed better. So for this game it's better to have two cards in crossfire where you can turn crossfire off when you play it and turn it back on for other games. Sadly enough you can't turn one gpu off with the dual cards.

This is due to the lack of support for multi gpu's in this game. So I don't recommend those type of cards for those who doesn't play any other games.

What version of the driver are you using now? 10.2 will be released today so you can try to update when it does.

4890 should be able to do that nate, easy. I'm on a 8800GTS SSC (112SPU). it's as fast as the 8800GTX across the board in benchmark.

If my card can push two 1920x1200 panels on wwiiol, i'd hope that 4890 can do one screen regaurdless of the monitor

Have you tried using the absolute newest driver from ATi?

What happens when you try and set it to the native resolution? if your desktop res isn't set to the same as the games sometimes you can get problems.

Lol i ain't ever buying a ATi card seeing all the problems they have from this forum. its like they took a big old hit off the crack pipe before they went to coding up them drivers.

What version of the driver are you using now? 10.2 will be released today so you can try to update when it does.

Using 10.1 will look at the 10.2 drivers though.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0