Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hog

Don't want to offend anyone here but

17 posts in this topic

I just bought a Macbook Pro and I really don't like the OS. There are a couple of things I need to do that can only be done on a Mac so I want to know if I can:

1. Install another OS (e.g Linux or Win 7) as the main OS on the Macbook Pro (ie clean wipe and install) and
  2. Run Mac OS 10.6 on a virtual machine under the OS I installed in step 1.

Anyone tried one or the other or both?

You wont upset, at least me. If Mac OS X is unconvinient to you, then you can use whatever you want.

1) "out of the box" you can use bootcamp (http://www.apple.com/macosx/compatibility/). This mean that you'd have your HD partitioned into two volumes, one for Mac OS X another for Windows. Mac OS X does already include bootcamp, so you'd only need a copy of Windows.

If you wanna keep only a single partition for windows, then things might go tricky. Perhaps you'd need to use external USB drive/flash to install Mac OS X on it, then install Windows onto main HD. I dont know if that would work, though.

2) No, official Mac OS X license explicitly prohibits running Mac OS X (client version) under virtual machine. License only allow to run Mac OS X Server under VM, so to keep yourself "legaly cleean" you'd need to purchase Mac OS X Server separately.

Thanks for the info Rum.

Not being allowed to do the second thing pretty much rules out the first for me. I'll look at doing the bootcamp thing later.

Cheers

Edited by hog

Note that if you install Win7 on Bootcamp: although it seems to work, it's technically unsupported by Apple (since Win7 is barely out).

Note that if you install Win7 on Bootcamp: although it seems to work' date=' it's technically unsupported by Apple (since Win7 is barely out).[/quote']

Thanks ahwulf.

I just managed to get my USB wireless broadband modem working with the help of google so I'll keep muddling through for the moment. (The modem came with Mac OS software but it crashes under OS 10.6).

Also, now that I've figured out how to use up to four fingers at a time on the touchpad I'm finding it easier to navigate around. (I'm not particularly fond of the dock concept where applications and minimised windows share the same space.)

Cheers - Hog

You can (illegally) run MacOS X in a virtual machine. Just install it like you would install it on any other normal PC (e.g. Boot 132) - go to http://www.insanelymac.com and search their forums, this place is the best source about how to run OS X on PCs.

I mentioned it before (in the other thread) that just to run XCode you won't need a real mac. But as i also said before i would not build an iPhone App for final release when running on a non real mac (or inside windows as VM) because you don't know if XCode somewhere saves the specs of your machine in the binary.

When it comes to new Mac OS X versions i would never install it before version 10.x.3 or 10.x.4 usually some of the 3rd party stuff does not work within the first months after the release. Unfortunately you had no choice because you mac came with snow leopard.

Another solution for you would be to run Windows 7 fullscreen as virtual machine in VMware Fusion which works damned good and fast. So you could do all the windows stuff you like to do and go back to OS X only if you need to. They have a 30 days trial just test it.

But maybe the best solution is to stay on OS X for a while until you get really used to it. Try to find all of the little tricks like that pressing command+tab is comparable to the windows alt-tab etc. - maybe at the moment you are still thinking the windows way. Remember: a lot of the windows stuff comes originally from the Mac OS and is just a bit different to use because MS had to change the keys or the way it works.

Though neither Microsoft nor Apple would care to admit it, Windows and OS X are in many ways strikingly similar. That's good news for switchers: If you're familiar with Windows, adjusting to OS X is less like learning how to drive than figuring out the controls in a new car. Windows XP is Mac-like in many ways; Windows Vista is even more so; and Windows 7 is the most Mac-esque version to date.

Some features in the two operating systems, such as Windows Vista's search and OS X's Spotlight, are practically identical. Keyboard commands you know from Windows tend to work in OS X, too, as long you hold down the Command key instead of Ctrl. Even Alt-Tab app-switching is nearly identical, except that you use Command-Tab instead.

What's different As familiar as OS X may feel in many ways, a few fundamental differences can trip up anyone accustomed to Windows.

For instance, in Windows, menus are attached to application windows. But in OS X, there's a permanent Menu Bar affixed to the top of the screen. Specific items on that Menu Bar may change, depending on the app you're using. But many of its elements (particularly those on the right side) stay the same no matter the app.

The left-side menu with the little Apple logo stays the same no matter which app you're using. It contains some essential system-management features, including Software Update (a less intrusive counterpart to Windows Update) and the Sleep, Restart, and Shut Down options that Microsoft puts in Windows' Start menu. It's also where you'll find System Preferences, OS X's equivalent to Windows' Control Panel.

The buttons in the upper-left corner of each window are also different. If you click the red circle (which would seem to be the same as clicking the X in the upper right-hand corner of a Windows window), you'll close that window, but leave the application open. To shut down an entire app in OS X, you have to press Command-Q, or select Quit from the menu named after the app you're using. (If, for example, you're using Microsoft Word, you'd select Word -> Quit.) If you forget that the red circle only closes individual windows and not the application itself, you may belatedly discover that your Mac's memory is bogged down by programs you thought you'd closed.

As in Windows, OS X's yellow button minimizes the window. But by default, minimized windows are tucked into the right-hand side of the Dock where they're easy to miss. To minimize them into their icons on the left side, go to the Dock's settings in System Preferences and select Minimize Windows Into Application Icon.

OS X's green button maximizes the window. But rather than expanding it to fill the entire screen, that button makes the window just big enough to comfortably accommodate the Web page you're viewing, the word-processing document you're editing, or whatever else the window contains. To make a window really big, drag it to the upper left-hand corner of the screen, then grab hold of its lower right-hand corner and drag until you hit the screen's edge.

Other essentials With any luck, you won't need another item on that Apple menu very often: Force Quit lets you shut down applications that are misbehaving so badly that you can't exit them through normal means. (OS X may run more smoothly than Windows, but programs can still choke, crash, and otherwise muck things up.) Using it is the equivalent of pressing Ctrl-Alt-Delete in Windows and then using the Task Manager to nuke an offending application, except that Force Quit tends to work faster and more reliably.

Installing and removing programs is generally less complicated in OS X than in Windows. When you insert a software disc in your Mac and open it in the Finder, you'll usually see an icon for the program and a representation of your Applications folder, where nearly all apps live. To install the new program, you just drag its icon into Applications. (If you downloaded the application, it'll typically show up in OS X as a virtual disk; after you install the software as above, use the eject icon to the right of the "disk" in the Finder sidebar to get rid of it.)

Most of the time, uninstalling software is way easier than in Windows: Just find the unwanted program's icon in Applications and drag it into the Trash. There are no uninstallers or folders full of related files to worry about, nor a Registry to get messed up if the uninstall goes badly.

What's better Before you finish exploring Snow Leopard, be sure and check out features that have no real counterparts in Windows. Stacks, for instance, is a bit like the Start menu but faster and more fun: Drag any folder into the right-hand region of the Dock, and from then on clicking on it in the Dock causes it to spring open, providing quick access to its contents. And Spaces (which you set up in the Expose and Spaces section of System Preferences) lets you create multiple desktops that you can switch between with a single keystroke. It's kind of like a multiple-monitor setup that only requires one monitor.

There's no way I could explain everything about the Mac interface here. But among the platform's many virtues--after its sleek design, consistent features, and lack of bloat--is its discoverability. Poke around and you'll find all kinds of cool features and intelligent design decisions. All of which add up to one of the biggest benefits of switching to the Mac: In less time than you might think, you can go from clueless newbie to confident power user.

There's some good tips in there richthofen, thanks.

Edit: Sweet, I got Citrix working so I can connect to work.

Edited by hog

Well you didn't come in here telling us Macs suck or that we should all switch to Windows. So no offense taken. :)

There's nothing wrong with not liking OS X. When I first went from 9 to 10 I didn't like it much either.

I still prefer the Windows finder over OS X. I hope for 10.7 they do a major overhaul of it, theres lots of room for improvement there.

BTW Hog, i sometimes find www.mactalk.com.au useful for info too.

You might try PathFinder as an alternative. I use both. I switch to bootcamp for working on the windows version and sometimes parallels just to check compilation.

I'd rather use OSX, although I know XP and despise Vista. 7 looks better.

I think I'm a mac os convert now. Being able to use up to four fingers on the touchpad means I can navigate around much faster than I could under Win XP. There are a few things I still don't like about it and I'll probably get a Win 7 box eventually for gaming but I'm glad I persevered with it now.

Well you didn't come in here telling us Macs suck or that we should all switch to Windows. So no offense taken. :)

There's nothing wrong with not liking OS X. When I first went from 9 to 10 I didn't like it much either.

Dito!

Salt on a watermelon is evil.

I could tell you were a man of great wisdom and learning ahwulf.

Edit: n/m - downloading iGetter - hopefully that will do the trick.

Edited by hog

Yeah each OS has it's benefits and stick with it for a week - two weeks and you'll get used to it and enjoy it. One useful tip - click on any document and press space bar. Realy useful if trying to specific document in a large list. (invoices, spreadsheets, pdf's etc)

Win 7 is the best windows OS so far and it is slightly mac like in some of it's operations and feel - Thats good

I use PC's for gaming, mac's for work generally but stick at it for a bit and you'll grow to love some of the simplicity and operations and how easy things are to use and find.

Of course you can also run multiple operating systems so sort of the best of both worlds.

Edit: n/m - downloading iGetter - hopefully that will do the trick.

? why? just press on the little x icon to stop it - then press the resume button

if that does not work then clear the safari download list and quit it. reopen safari and drag the download from the downloads folder on the safari icon to resume.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0