Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kenney

Teh Barrecks, help me choose meh new FX Card

43 posts in this topic

buy nothing until 1.31 is closer. ati is the best value but the 5xxx cards have driver issues that should hopefully be resolved soonish.

buy nothing until 1.31 is closer. ati is the best value but the 5xxx cards have driver issues that should hopefully be resolved soonish.

Oh ya, I am just getting my feelers out now to see what others think. I am going to wait till the in stone system requirements come out.

I'd go for the GeForce card. 1GIG video mem is great at that price. Plus all I hear is problems with this game and ATI.

I'd go for the GeForce card. 1GIG video mem is great at that price. Plus all I hear is problems with this game and ATI.

The only thing I am wondering is if my 550Watt Thermaltake will be able to power it... everyone I have talked to said that Thermaltake PSU's are generally a lot more powerful than they are rated. I was told that a 550W Thermaltake PSU is as strong as say, a 700W PSU in any other cheaper brand.

The ATIs are great, hardware wise... Their software sucks sometimes. I have a 4870 and have nothing but good things to say about it, runs all my other games flawlessly. Only thing is that this game hates ATI :mad:

I don't know. I've avoided the ATI cards specifically because of WW2 Online. I am of the **opinion** Nvidia plays better in the land of the Rats.

But, I just read a review that ATI has retaken the GPU lead (CPU Magazine Jan 2010). The price point of ATI's top card is around $389.00 US.

Tough call, sorry can't help you beyond that, lol.

Do not get an ATI card for this game! :confused: the drivers suck hard.

Make sure if you go to the 200 gtx group nvidia that you have a real up to date BIOS and that the dirvers for your mother board are right up to date.

Also the new nvidia cards are big....they take up two pci slots.....and you need two power supply leads to feed them.

Do the new 200s work well....yes after you get them to work.

If you have not broken down and moved to 64 bit........an 8800 gtx rocks.

S!

I'd prefer to buy Canadian and get an ATI card, but in my 8+ years in the WWIIOL support forums, I've seen at least 10x more complaints about ATI cards than I've seen about Nvidia cards. Because of that, I'll never buy an ATI card.

Get a Radeon 4890 or a GTX275. Should be around the same price and both have pretty good performance,however BGE seems to hate ATI cards but it seems to be fixed with the beta coming "soon*"

*Winter 2011

Get a Radeon 4890 or a GTX275. Should be around the same price and both have pretty good performance,however BGE seems to hate ATI cards but it seems to be fixed with the beta coming "soon*"

I build/fix computers for a living, and let me tell you- you don't need that video card to play this game. I have a GeForce 250 GS that I payed like 140$ for a couple months ago (mine had 512 mb ram not 1 GB like the one dulittle linked) and I run this game on max settings and get 80 FPS.

WW2OL is more CPU reliant than GPU reliant. If you are lagging and your computer isn't very old, it's time for a format and operating system re-installation.

I'd have to agree , a 275GTX isn't needed for WW2Ol -unless-, like me, you play a lot of newer games and need something with one hell of a lot of raw GPU power. The 275GTX is one mighty beast and it does, width wise, take up two slots on the motherboard (seems to be why they put the PCI-E slots apart from each other on gaming MOBOs), as well as needing 2x 6 pins from the PSU to power it. Its power is fantastic, and certainly takes the strain off of my CPU when playing games like Dragon Age, Empire: Total War or good ol' CoD4:MW and is a quiet little thing once its settled down on booting (for the first 5 seconds it roars away until its comfortable :)).

Friend of mine moaned at me for not waiting for the 5xxx series to come out from ATi asthey'd be a tad bit more powerful and a little cheaper in comparison to my nVidia card, but as I said to him, I don't want to wait 6 months for the software to be sorted, I want to use it now.

So! If you play lots of newer games, grab something that is currently powerful, otherwise if its for WW2ol then even a 8800GT would be great (if you can get hold of one) still.

Nothing by ATI. For some reason ATI drivers and WWII Online don't like each other.

My 4890 runs this game like *** :(

WW2OL is more CPU reliant than GPU reliant. If you are lagging and your computer isn't very old, it's time for a format and operating system re-installation.

true up to now, but that is going to change with 1.31

I would still err on the side of nvidia given history, but considering the all new render thingy we just don't know. Maybe the rats will release specs sometme this year ;)

Nothing by ATI. For some reason ATI drivers and WWII Online don't like each other.

My 4890 runs this game like *** :(

my 8800 just died so i upgraded to 4890 :-(

baby jesus weeps every ten min as i crash to desktop

i have tried 9.11, 9.8 and am now on 9.7 drivers...fingers crossed

<---4870 no problem with cc 8-12 drivers. To bad I have to resort to not up-dating drivers, but I have had no issues cc- 8-12.

5770 is probably your best bet out of the ones you posted. If you must go with Nvidia (if the ATI scare mongers sway you) then I guess you could go with a GTX 275....but Nvidia just does NOT have anything that can match ATI in terms of value at the moment. Their line-up is frankly pathetic right now; serious gamers looking to stick with Nvidia pretty much have no choice but to wait until the GT3xx/Fermi for now.

I build/fix computers for a living, and let me tell you- you don't need that video card to play this game. I have a GeForce 250 GS that I payed like 140$ for a couple months ago (mine had 512 mb ram not 1 GB like the one dulittle linked) and I run this game on max settings and get 80 FPS.

Unless your computer is loaded down with malware and bloatware, your fps has nothing to do with your OS; the only thing FPS in WWIIOL (or any PC game) cares about is your hardware (even reputed fps differences between 32 bit and 64 bit OS's are GROSSLY overestimated).

True, WWIIOL v. 1.30 doesn't really stress modern graphics cards anywhere even remotely approaching what other games do but uhh....any time you're doing 3D rendering, a more powerful graphics card will get you better FPS so long as you're not playing with an ancient or low-end CPU.

Be careful not to make a n00bish mistake; you're probably thinking that just because character, vehicle, and environment polygon counts are primitively low (ie; Half-Life 1 era), your graphics card doesn't make a difference. You forgot to multiply those primitive polygon counts by the maximum number of visible players within the kilometers' worth of view distance, especially in large cities (even if those cities are filled with low-poly buildings; it's A LOT of low-poly buildings).

The people making comments about WWIIOL not needing decent graphics cards are off, way off.

You're even further off if you think that 1.31 isn't going to care about what graphics card you have. Ummm...did you see the screenshots/videos? You don't think polygon counts are going up? And you don't think all the new shadows, normal maps, and modern effects aren't going to care that you have a crappy video card?

And another thing; it's not a question of how old a computer is if that computer had low-end hardware to begin with.

Do not listen to this man (jk, kind of).

I was glad you wrote "the last one is for lulz" because as you obviously know, the GTS250 is nothing but an overclocked third rebranding of the 8800GT/9800GT, which makes it basically a two or three year old card considering it was just a more efficient version of the G80 to begin with. Nvidia likes to slap a new sticker on the 8800GT, overclock it a bit, and rename it once every year while selling it at basically the same price; I bought my 8800GT for just a little over $200 in December of 2007. Heh, go figure. One of the reasons I'm beginning to hate Nvidia.

I do think newegg tends to have better prices over all than tigerdirect, but if I can't find the price I want at newegg, tigerdirect is definitely my second choice.

Edited by xanthus

Glad to see this discussion. We haven't done this in a while. For what it's worth Doc has always claimed that most stutters are video card dependent. Specifically the fill rate of VCs are the culprit.

Anybody got any info on fill rate? I don't think I've ever seen a spec for fill rate.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150439

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127445

tons cheaper at newegg.ca

Have the msi, great card so far, works wonders. All the new cards run on less power, your psu should be fine, not knowing what else you're powering.

Wow nice find, now which out of the two would you suggest?

The system it will be going into is

AMD 4200+ X2 2.2Ghz

3Gigs DDR2 800Mhz

Sound Blaster X-fi

350gb Western Digital HD

any time you're doing 3D rendering, a more powerful graphics card will get you better FPS

this is not true or more precisely is not absolute law. there are plenty of examples where a new more powerful graphics card does nothing for performance of a certain app that is CPU bound. meaning, cpu X with graphics card Y produces the same performance as that same cpu X with a new flashy gpu Z. best example is world of warcraft which is notoriously cpu bound. look up some reviews comparing a new ati vs an older nvidia card using the same cpu. performance is always basically identical until you get into extreme resolutions and detail levels and even then the performance difference is marginal at best.

point being, if youre upgrading specifically for a single application there sometimes is a value sweetspot for any given component. specifically in the case of WoW (and more than likely same for 1.31 as this is currently the case), buying the most CPU power with a value previous generation GPU is going to net you over all better performance than a lesser CPU and a more powerful GPU.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0