• Announcements

• SNIPER62

64-bit is LIVE   03/27/2020

CHIMM: 64-bit client is now LIVE and Campaign 172 continues!  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sixpence

yet another video card thread

6 posts in this topic

I have a gigabyte ma785g-ud3h mobo and an amd 965 3.4(quad). I also have 8 gig ocz ram(800).

But I have a 9600 GT nvidia. Now my fps has improved big time with the purchase of the 3.4 cpu, but I would like to see what I can get if I upgrade my card.

Nothing crazy, the 9800 GTX is only $134 and seems like a step up. But the motherboard says it works real well with ati cards. And I would like to try a 4000 series card.

Now the most I want to spend would be this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814129113 and it's a 4870. There are some 4850's that are a little cheaper, and some 4890's a little higher.

Does the 4850 compare with the 9800 gtx nvidia? I am told the 4000 series ati do not have problems with the game and I would like to upgrade and keep it under $200

imo never upgrade in minor increments especially when talking about older hardware. the 9xxx series nvidia cards are old.

going from a 9600 to a 4xxx series ati is a much better upgrade even though yes, the 4xxx cards are 1 generation old they are a significant upgrade over your current card and can be had for about a hundred dollars.

just remember that currently only the 9.7 catalyst drivers work with ww2ol.

imo never upgrade in minor increments especially when talking about older hardware. the 9xxx series nvidia cards are old.

going from a 9600 to a 4xxx series ati is a much better upgrade even though yes, the 4xxx cards are 1 generation old they are a significant upgrade over your current card and can be had for about a hundred dollars.

It's a shame with the ati cards, because I only play BE. Might as well look at a 260 or 275 gtx

Well, i'm gona do it, $200 will get me a visiontek 4890oc. Now you say I must use the 9.7 drivers?

And how do I get the 9.7 drivers?

OK, found drivers here http://www.oldapps.com/ati.php?old_ati_drivers=91 It must be just the video drivers at 59MB, is there some kind of control panel I can use?

Edited by sixpence

Been a long time since I had a ati card.

Go to www.guru3d.com and search for ati tray tools. Will do everything the ati control center does but does not require internet connecntion like the ati CC.

Edited by OldZeke

the 9800 is a rebranded NV 250....it's not as old as you think. but it's got only a 256bit memory controler vs I think the 448bit that the 260 to 295's use.

the 9600GT was slow as hell If I remember right...the 9800 is at least 2 or 3 generations removed from that card.

Edited by Vampress

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0