Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
spOrT

Ideal Mac to buy for 1.31?

17 posts in this topic

Well I've toyed around with the idea of building a PC for gaming, and keeping my Mac for every day life, but I really can't justify having a computer solely for gaming. Just too obsessive and not really practical. That said, my Mac Mini is 1st gen and getting a bit old (almost 4 years at this point) so when I have the money, I'm going to upgrade.

What is the collective suggestion for an adequate computer to run 1.31? I was looking at the new Mac Mini:

http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MC239LL/A?mco=MTM3NTAxNDA

I'd like to keep it around $1000, but want to make sure I can run the new game properly too!

For $1000 its tough. You really don't want a NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor as its going to be pretty limited in performance. The processor is OK.

A better bet would be http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MC413LL/A?mco=MTM3NDc2NDE but its $500 more. The video card is going to be very important for 1.31, more so than the processor. When we get to open beta (dont hold breath yet) we can know for sure, but I think the 9400M may be too weak except by turning off a lot of stuff.

You can build a decent gaming PC for $600 or so. Of course with a mac you can do both but still the 9400M will not be good on either side. My Gt120 is bottom of the barrel although it seems OK atm.

Well there might be a few options.

Try the refurb Store. Currently there is a 3ghz Imac there for $1149.

Maybe in a few months or when you ahve the cash you may just pickup a model with a decent enough card.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/imac

You'll have to push the $1000 mark though.

You could build a PC using some cheap or second hand parts for the less important stuff (case, CD drives etc) then buy a new mac mini.

OR build a top of the range PC and make it a Hackintosh but that is actually illegal and requires some time, effort and bit of knowledge.

Look for a second hand iMac with a good card and Applecare. That way even if it is a year old or 18 months your safe.

One example (Next year may find better models with good cards)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-iMac-24-2-8-4GB-Ram-Office-2008-Applecare_W0QQitemZ120498843997QQcmdZViewItemQQptZApple_Desktops?hash=item1c0e4a715d

Or build your own and buy a lower end mac mini

Good PC Spec.

GTX 260 ($150 - $175)

LGA 775 Socket Mobo $55 (Decent enough spec Asus, Gigabyte etc)

6500 Wolfdale Core 2 Duo ($90) - E8500 bit more but very good.

PSU 600W or greater. $60 - 80

Memory DDR2 PC26400 800mhz ($50 for 2GB)

If you want nice case Antec 300 is very good - $54

CD drive ?/ $20

Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 (If you want good CPU cooling) $35

Maybe an internal fan or two for the case ($15 tops)

320 - 500 GB sata 2 drive $50

That's about $500 with everything new. Maybe you can pull a few old bits you ahve already or save in some areas. You'll then need an OS (Windows 7 is very nice and maybe a monitor but you have one with your mac mini).

Yeah Apple's store refurb section is quite good generally. I got a nice iPod Touch (that my nephew then had stolen from him).

Here is another option.

If your current MacMini is plenty for all your needs, then keep using it and invest in a good PC for gaming.

I myself walk both sides.

When I first started playing this game I used a PowerBook G3 Pismo (below listed spec then, but ran fine).

Then I built a Shuttle PC and used that for a few years, while I used my PowerBook for daily personal items (never use Winblows for email and financial information).

Now I have a MacBook Pro I use for game and everything else, with the PC for various other duties (a few times using both to beta test with :) ).

Next year I expect to get a new PC.

S!

ATI HD 4670 or the 4850? Good question.

Anybody running a new imac with the ATI 4670?

What do you give up? I think the 1.31 specs recommends the 4850 or higher.

Minimum System Requirements

* Macintosh OS: OSX 10.6/OSX 10.5

* Processor: Pentium 4 3.2 GHz or Athlon 64 3500+ or better with SSE 2.0 support

* Memory: 2GB

* Hard Drive: 2 GB Free

* Sound: on-board or better

* Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6800 series or ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro or better discreet GPU with 256 MB VRAM and Shader Model 3.0*

Recommended System Requirements

* Macintosh OS: OSX 10.6/OSX 10.5

* Processor: 3 GHz Dual Core or 2.66 GHz Quad Core

* Memory: 4 GB

* Hard Drive: 2 GB Free

* Sound: on-board or better

* Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 250 or Radeon HD 4850 or better*

The 4670 is plenty fine. It's better than my GT120 and that runs the game OK. Make sure you get a 512MB card. Most recent vcards with 512MB will probably be just fine.

I just ordered an iMac 27".. Its on backorder at the moment but hopefully in a couple weeks..

• Quad-Core 2.66GHz Intel Core i5
  • 8GB (4x2GB) RAM
  • 1TB Hard Drive
  • 8x SuperDrive DVD Burner, SD Card Slot
  • ATI Radeon HD 4850 Graphics
  • 27" LED Backlit 16:9 Widescreen Display
  • iSight Camera
  • Bluetooth 2.1+EDR
  • 802.11n Airport Extreme Wi-Fi
  • Wireless Keyboard & Magic Mouse
  • Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard

PC.

tusk tusk retterkl you know better than to suggest using that rubbish in this forum >;0)

The best you can get will always work obviously, ebay or apple refurb is superb for saving at least £100 on a quality Mac just need to keep you eye on things (e.g. they go fast). 10.6 is good and a memory saver which can be passed onto playing ww2 with more memory :) Ill stick by my Mac forever, i play game but i also do work, browse the web etc. and the Mac so pwns the PC for ease and safety (ATM) that is makes sense to me to stay here. PC rules for games for sure but I want a computer for more than that and the Mac can fill that role very well :) keep to the light side not the dark, Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering etc..... :) - no Mac bias here ;)

Hear! Hear! Fundn. I have been tempted myself from time to time but always pull back and am glad I do. If you look in on the support forums for the PC its clear they have huge problems as well! I'm not sayin' I'm just sayin'!! LOL

The 4670 is plenty fine. It's better than my GT120 and that runs the game OK. Make sure you get a 512MB card. Most recent vcards with 512MB will probably be just fine.

4670 is 256MB.... :( and I have a 4800 on my imac.

Ahwulf,

Intersting point about card and performance. I always thought the card was really important and fill rate was king, texture or pixel.

Now using 1.3.1 as a "test suite" I found that my card was not getting fully pushed and the CPU was the "bottleneck" to performance.

On a PC increasing the CPU speed gave predictable scalable results. i.e 10% processor speed increase gives near as dammit 10% FPS increase.

Changing the card speed made little difference.

In fact one guy turned his card speed DOWN to 30% before he saw a performance hit.

I know once you get more players in and start moving aroun dit will fill up the card and use it a bit more but it seems to me that a gtx260 is more than plenty and even not 100% utilised on this game.

I am also using a I7 920 processor on x58 board with 6GB of DDR3 so it's not as if I have a slow processor bottlenecking for the card.

So to bring it back to mac world any of the "upper end" cards with 512MB + will be great.

We still have a lot of things to improve. For sure having 512MB is more important now than the actual clock speed of the card, which is why my crappy GT120 is OK. Having spent a ton of time in profiling on the Mac, I still can't get a good reading on the PC since none of the profiling tools seems to work with our code; the VC++ profiler only comes with the Team version, which are hoping to get soon; assuming it will work of course.

This app is extremely hard to profile since so much depends on what you are doing and what environment you are in. Doing static terrain/buildings/trees is OK but add dynamic inf and tanks and it becomes much more complex. Plus the code is, well, fugly in places and sometimes you have no idea wtf its doing.

I could spend 100% of my time doing performance stuff and still not fix everything. I'm sure Blizzard has 50 people who do nothing but on WoW. I think they have more people who deliver coffee to the coders than the Rats have people.

Our texture management is a little primitive, basically most are loaded into the card up front. On the mac some of the textures are being duplicated by the opengl framework and its taking a ton of extra RAM. Once of those things I need Apple to help me fix...

I wish we had someone in Apple DTS playing the game...

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0