• Announcements

• SNIPER62

64-bit is LIVE   03/27/2020

CHIMM: 64-bit client is now LIVE and Campaign 172 continues!  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
omfgowned

What causes lagg....

22 posts in this topic

We'll,as we all know,Lagg totaly ruins gameplay,

So im putting together how not to get it...(Post any suggestions)

Do not have:

Dial up,ect

A USB Enthernet connecter,(Causes latency...)

Less then 2 gb to run the game properly(Not neccasary,but if you want to run it well id do it)

Need:

Fast procceser

Broadband internet connection (Comcast,Ect)

If you are ona wireless network,Get the internal connecter(The one that goes INSIDE your computer)

If you have more tips,POST EM

-bump-

We'll,as we all know,Lagg totaly ruins gameplay,

So im putting together how not to get it...(Post any suggestions)

Do not have:

Dial up,ect

A USB Enthernet connecter,(Causes latency...)

Less then 2 gb to run the game properly(Not neccasary,but if you want to run it well id do it)

Need:

Fast procceser

Broadband internet connection (Comcast,Ect)

If you are ona wireless network,Get the internal connecter(The one that goes INSIDE your computer)

If you have more tips,POST EM

Overall lag will be reduced as the average connection speed increases. As the distance between players increases, the time it takes for information to pass between those players increases. In a worldwide game, lag can never be eliminated. Unless of course Einstein's Theory of Relativity ever gets disproven.

Overall lag will be reduced as the average connection speed increases. As the distance between players increases' date=' the time it takes for information to pass between those players increases. In a worldwide game, lag can never be eliminated. Unless of course Einstein's Theory of Relativity ever gets disproven.[/quote']

^^^^^

What he said.

Getting rid of Dial-Up players would go a LONG way towards reducing in-game lag effects.

How many Dial-Up players exist today anyways?

LOL! All you Dial-Up players would make Theodore Kaczynski proud!

Overall lag will be reduced as the average connection speed increases. As the distance between players increases' date=' the time it takes for information to pass between those players increases. In a worldwide game, lag can never be eliminated. Unless of course Einstein's Theory of Relativity ever gets disproven.[/quote']

I live in Dubai and hardly ever have lag issues. However my ping to server is 250 to 300, but it doesn't seem to make much difference to me in game terms. I can do much as well as I did back in the States. \

If you're referring to shooting ei and then ei turns and kills you... Nothing travels faster than light. Until Quantum Internet is deverloped you're pwned.

Living in OZ I'm about as far from the servers as you can get without living in India/Bangladesh.

Regular pings of 250ms or so... and little discernable lag other than targets taking a half second or so to die.

Certainly nothing to complain about.

Now when I'm getting 50%+ packet loss and my ping is up near 600ms or more... then its bad.

Getting rid of Dial-Up players would go a LONG way towards reducing in-game lag effects.

lag isn't really that bad with dial-up...200-300ms is not that bad.

dial-up is going away all on its own though...no one wants to be on dialup when most web sites are pushing all teh crap that requires a fast connection to load up in this lifetime.

the USA being a backwards country there are still many areas that can't get fast internet at a good price...I was stuck playing on dialup for years even though I lived in a metro area at the time because it just wasn't availabe.

Edited by Vampress

the USA being a backwards country

I know how ya feel,australia is with ya.

I read somewhere not long ago about internet speed and the top 16 countries,the bottom four where 3rd world countries and australia was number 14 LOL..

So we beet you on crap internet,cant remember where the USA was,but way above us :)

You have no clue at all. This old horse has been beat to glue.

There are prolly less than 5% here on dialup, whats the odds of you constantly encountering those 5%? You only see 3 or 4 warpers per game session? Are you good at math?

If you see a friendly warpin/laggin pm them and ask what type connection they are on. You are in for a huge surprise.

Try to run the game at highest visual players limit (this is just a setting as to how many load into your vizlist at any time...roughly 64/96/128 players for low/med/high) on a old out of date processor you gonna lagg, you gonna warp, you gonna stutter like mell travis.

Try running the game on a rig that's getting 10 fps, you are gonna warp like the enterprise.

I'm on dialup, nothing else available here yet. Give me a holler and I'll let you ride TG while we hunt some laggers.

The very WORST....

are those on satillite connections...I used that before and WOW is that a lag fest. It makes dial-up seem like a 22nd century technology it's THAT GOOD compared to the crap that is satillite internet for gaming.

You have no clue at all. This old horse has been beat to glue.

There are prolly less than 5% here on dialup, whats the odds of you constantly encountering those 5%? You only see 3 or 4 warpers per game session? Are you good at math?

If you see a friendly warpin/laggin pm them and ask what type connection they are on. You are in for a huge surprise.

Try to run the game at highest visual players limit (this is just a setting as to how many load into your vizlist at any time...roughly 64/96/128 players for low/med/high) on a old out of date processor you gonna lagg, you gonna warp, you gonna stutter like mell travis.

Try running the game on a rig that's getting 10 fps, you are gonna warp like the enterprise.

I'm on dialup, nothing else available here yet. Give me a holler and I'll let you ride TG while we hunt some laggers.

Without continuing with the personal insults... let me just say this "beat to glue" subject has been vigorously debated for nearly twenty years now. The result is the same no matter how one cuts the proverbial pie... the slow connection speeds have a negative impact on connection rates/speeds/server latency/gameplay. Fact.

Why should high speed users put up with low speed users in a PvP game? Folks didn't tolerate it in FPS games... why should they tolerate it here? You, yourself, estimate "5%" of WWIIol'rs are using low speed connections... why should the remaining 95% suffer negative gameplay effects? It makes no "community"/"gameplay" sense whatsoever.

Don't come in here and get all personal on us because you are playing on a 56k connection... it's not our fault your region of the world doesn't support high speed connections (although even satellite is better than a 56k connection speed more often than not).

The very WORST....

are those on satillite connections...I used that before and WOW is that a lag fest. It makes dial-up seem like a 22nd century technology it's THAT GOOD compared to the crap that is satillite internet for gaming.

ROFLMAO i know vampress,i had it this year,after a few months i rang em up,and said come and take ya shat back,impossible to play in a town,and horrible flying..

I begged internode(my isp) to do something for me,im 8km's from the exchange via the road and 6.5 according to a sales person (who tried to talk me out of it) they said ADSL is only good for 5km's,but i told them to hook me up and lets try it,im getting 1.3 MB's a second,so thats good enough for mem, my ping is around 220 to 260 :)

the slow connection speeds have a negative impact on connection rates/speeds/server latency/gameplay. Fact.

actually this is not fact. a user connecting to the server via dialup has zero impact on any other connection on the server.

yes you may still see that user warp because of the fact he is using dialup but other than that is has zero impact on the quality of your or the server's connection.

actually this is not fact. a user connecting to the server via dialup has zero impact on any other connection on the server.

yes you may still see that user warp because of the fact he is using dialup but other than that is has zero impact on the quality of your or the server's connection.

Certainly, there are other factors which promote/mitigate lag but connection speed is certainly one of them. This is a common sense issue if one merely takes into acccount that the slower connection speed to the game server creates a hiccup (for the lack of a better adjective) when calculation information is being disseminated to all parties involved.

I recall us doing tests on CS servers years ago... and we promptly booted all dial-up users after realizing they were crapping on our gameplay. Now, I do understand that WWIIol may be slightly different in that this game caters to more of an "international" clientele than my previous situation. However, to think dial-up users don't promote lag in this game.. well... it's a bit naive.

As I mentioned above... they're not the only thing promoting lag but certainly one of them (when they're around you) and I would venture to bet they have a more noticeable impact on the ordnance servers themselves (and how critical information is disseminated between parties).

Interesting discussion though and one I'd like to test out in-game if it is ever possible. Maybe get like 20 Dial up users and 20 DSL users and do some testing in a confined space to see what the gameplay results are like.

Without continuing with the personal insults... let me just say this "beat to glue" subject has been vigorously debated for nearly twenty years now. The result is the same no matter how one cuts the proverbial pie... the slow connection speeds have a negative impact on connection rates/speeds/server latency/gameplay. Fact.

Why should high speed users put up with low speed users in a PvP game? Folks didn't tolerate it in FPS games... why should they tolerate it here? You, yourself, estimate "5%" of WWIIol'rs are using low speed connections... why should the remaining 95% suffer negative gameplay effects? It makes no "community"/"gameplay" sense whatsoever.

Don't come in here and get all personal on us because you are playing on a 56k connection... it's not our fault your region of the world doesn't support high speed connections (although even satellite is better than a 56k connection speed more often than not).

As stated I'd take broadband in a heartbeat cause geting d/ls on dialup sucks bad. But someone playing on a old comp or one that's got a dozen dift proggies active sucking on the line is mainly the warpers you see. Add in those on crummy cable where the fliters are shot or the Co oversold bandwith and there you have more.

It's just fact, in a game that uses lots of small packets dialup loses hands down.

In a game like this that uses a small amount of large packets dialup works.

And as I said, when you see a warper on your side where you can see their tag PM them and ask what type connection they have. I've done this and have yet to get a reply of "dialup". All it takes is a minute to find out if indeed it's a dialuper you are seeing warp.

Now I've multicrewed folks where both our icons on the map were locked tight together and others whos icon would constantly stop moveing then warp back to me. These all cable users. Who was warping?

My professional 2 cents (I do international networking for a living):

Dial/Broadband/Satellite/Wireless Broadband , all include different technologies with different performances, thus statements such *dialers lag* are bound to be inaccurate. While it is certainly true that end to end delay IS affected by available connection speed (intended as number of bits transmitted per second), it is only a part of the picture, and, for real time traffic as required by WWIIOL, a minor one.

1) It only affects the user to Internet Service Provider leg of the packet's trip (in most cases below 50 ms for a 100 bytes packet). After that, traffic is delivered across Internet, and the topological/hierarchical structure of the crossed domains have their BIG saying in the so called round trip delay (RTD).

2) As mentioned in this thread before, some connections *suck* (it is the case of satellite connections, that have an awfull latency due to the distance of the satellite from our workstations). Those are infact used for real far far out locations that can't enjoy the presence of a "normal" ISP, and are very costly, too. So it is uncommon to see a player connected in that way, unless he/she is a researcher in the antarctic (under this circumstance it is expectable to see her/his avatar ... freeze).

For oversea traffic, a RTD (ping) result of 250ms is generally considered "not bad" ... lagging at that point is either a client problem (I got frustrated when I forgot that on Sunday my antivirus performs its weekly scan, and consequently was not able to put a rifle in line in less than a lifetime), or a server problem (we are too many, or some servers are under maintenance, for example). For the latter there's little YOU can do, but for the earlier, it is a good rule to check your workstation performance when having issues (running on 80% CPU or more is no good, check for unwanted programs or have ur CPU cool down, much like you do with the engine temperature when not in dogfight - because you check it, right?)

As stated I'd take broadband in a heartbeat cause geting d/ls on dialup sucks bad. But someone playing on a old comp or one that's got a dozen dift proggies active sucking on the line is mainly the warpers you see. Add in those on crummy cable where the fliters are shot or the Co oversold bandwith and there you have more.

It's just fact, in a game that uses lots of small packets dialup loses hands down.

In a game like this that uses a small amount of large packets dialup works.

And as I said, when you see a warper on your side where you can see their tag PM them and ask what type connection they have. I've done this and have yet to get a reply of "dialup". All it takes is a minute to find out if indeed it's a dialuper you are seeing warp.

Now I've multicrewed folks where both our icons on the map were locked tight together and others whos icon would constantly stop moveing then warp back to me. These all cable users. Who was warping?

Start praying that 1.31 patch is only 2mb!!! :)

Start praying that 1.31 patch is only 2mb!!! :)

I've d/led 2 gig d/ls on this dialup, I'll get 1.31 :)

I've said it many times. The best investment I've ever made that not only reduced but STOPPED my lags were upgrading to a Phenom II 940 at 3ghz. Of course I also run vista 64 bit, 4g of ram, HD4870, etc. but with all the upgrades the lags did not stop until I got the phenom II 940.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0