Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
deman81

Out of Memory

15 posts in this topic

I get this from my system occasionally after long sessions in WWII Online.

Are there simple ways to increase my memory settings to help with this? Are the "corn flake" skys related to this?

yes, buy more memory. 4gbs is fairly standard these days. XP can get away with 2gb but vista or 7 really kind of need 4gb.

hmm what is the exact error you get?

do you have your swap file set manually and or turned off?

I will make a note next time it happens.. iirc a window pops up saying "out of memory" and I have a option to ignore or close program. As to the swap files I have no idea what they are set to but will check when I get home. (I haven't changed anything since I bought the system last year)

not sure if its even relivent(sp?)

I have my swap file(virtual ram) set to 200MB, I have 4GB of ram, but I have Vista 64-bit I've never recieved a out of memory error.

like I said this might not be of any use to anyone, reason I set my pagefile(swapfile) so low is because I do not need it as much, and Windows will only provide information on errors if I have 200MB or more pagefile.

XP 32. When I look at "system" it says I have 3.4 gig's of ram

XP will only use up to 3.4GB of available RAM. It's an OS limitation.

As far as your pagefile (aka swapfile, virtual memory) is concerned, I often say rude things about M$, but credit where it's due - XP does generally handle virtual memory quite effectively. You should only really set it manually if you have a good, specific reason for it.

To set your virtual memory to allow XP to optimise it:

Start

Control Panel

System

Advanced

Performance > Settings

Advanced

Virtual Memory > Change > System Manged Size

XP will only use up to 3.4GB of available RAM. It's an OS limitation.

As far as your pagefile (aka swapfile, virtual memory) is concerned, I often say rude things about M$, but credit where it's due - XP does generally handle virtual memory quite effectively. You should only really set it manually if you have a good, specific reason for it.

To set your virtual memory to allow XP to optimise it:

Start

Control Panel

System

Advanced

Performance > Settings

Advanced

Virtual Memory > Change > System Manged Size

actually its the bits problem.... no 32bits system can run more than 3.4gb.. only 64bits

I don't know this is relevent for you, but it was for me.

I was getting Smart Heap errors so often it became part of the game for me. I had built my PC about 4 or 5 years ago and at the time I had only bought an extra 2 gigs of ram to add to the 2 gigs I laready had for a total of 4 gigs. However they we're the same flavor. The speeds were different, but at the time all was well and it ran fine for years. With the last patch that came out is when I started to have issues.

What I'm saying here is it might be a ram issue too. Is it possible for you to try 4 gigs of identical ram and see if it makes a difference? That seemed to do it for me.

Also I upgraded my CPU from AMD to Intel and swaped out my MOBO at the same time, but I'm rather certain that it was the ram that corrected things for me.

You have more ram then needed or necessary....

check your memory to make sure it's stable

200mb for swapfile? sounds sorta low to me...

actually its the bits problem.... no 32bits system can run more than 3.4gb.. only 64bits

Well i be buggered,didnt know that,thanks

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0