Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
peegee77

Running WWIIOL on Windows 7

46 posts in this topic

There are lots of threads asking about WWIIOL on W7 so I have put together these brief notes, hopefully some of you will find it useful. It only covers the basics, so please add your questions, comments and abuse as you feel appropriate.

These notes cover the basic steps you need to take to run "WW2 Online : Battleground Europe" on a Windows 7 operating system. I will refer to these as WWIIOL and W7. The current version of the game is 1.30.3.255 and I will amend these notes as required.

It is assumed that (1) you have started with a clean W7 install (2) you are logged on with an account that has administrator rights and (3) you have installed the full current PC version of WWIIOL.

These notes only deal with running WWIIOL as an application on W7. There may be other issues such as device drivers, device compatibility under W7, and so on. These are NOT covered here.

I have tried to make it simple to follow, whatever your level of expertise with computers. If it all seems too obvious and I have insulted your intelligence, tough luck. I mean, please accept my apologies.

1. We will need to know where WWIIOL is installed. W7 uses two program file locations, "Program Files" and "Program Files (X86)", and WWIIOL will be installed in the second of these. Your path to WWIIOL will probably be "C:\Program Files (x86)\CRS\Battleground Europe" where C:\ is your main drive. If your main drive is D:\ or whatever, amend accordingly.

2. Click on "Start" > "Computer"> "Program Files (X86)">"CRS">Battleground Europe" and find where WWIIOL is installed. This screenshot shows the steps to find the WWIIOL files ... you will see these windows one at a time, but I have put them together to make it easier to follow.

wwiiol1.jpg

3. Look for the executable files that are highlighted on the screenshot. These should be:

Playgate.exe

Settings.exe

ww2.exe

WW2_sse2.exe

WW2_x86.exe

4. For each of these files:

Right click on the file name and select "Properties"

wwiiolv2.jpg

Click on the "Compatibility" tab.

Click on the "Compatibility Mode" box to put a tick (check mark) in it and set it to run in Compatibility Mode for Windows Vista (Service Pack 2)

Click on the "Privilege Level" box to put a tick (check mark) in it and set it to "Run this program as an administrator"

Click on "OK"

wwiiolv3.jpg

5. Make sure you have done this for each file

6. Restart you computer

Edited by BLOO

Slight difference for me. If I check the "Run this program as an administrator" box then Team Speak, and CH (joystick) software doesn't work when the game is running. Without the game all work well.

The compatability mode solved all other problems.

Haven't played in about a month now but IIRC I don't need the administrator mode for BE to work in Windows 7. I think the compatibility mode was enough for me. I think everyone should try only compatibility mode first and only run as administrator if necessary. It's bad practice to run as administrator when it's not actually needed.

Thank you PEEGEE7 for a clear example of setting up the environment.

Unfortunate for me that it doesn't work. What is even more frustrating

is that I downloaded the beta application, and that runs like gang busters.:confused:

I have a trouble ticket in, and am awaiting a response. As it stands now,

I am in great shape for when the 1.31 goes live, but until then, I am

stuck with playing on the beta server. :rolleyes:

Again, thanks for your effort. I am surprised that the post isn't a sticky for

the Windows 7 crowd. :)

Surprised that you can run 1.31 but not 1.30. If you haven't done so, it may be worth downloading and reinstalling the full 1.30 client, just in case you've got some corruption in it.

Otherwise, hopefully the support guys will come up with something.

Good luck.

Haven't played in about a month now but IIRC I don't need the administrator mode for BE to work in Windows 7. I think the compatibility mode was enough for me. I think everyone should try only compatibility mode first and only run as administrator if necessary. It's bad practice to run as administrator when it's not actually needed.

Lure is correct.

The compatibility mode is enough to get current version running in Windows 7 64bit.

I tried this couple times, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit here.

Thanks to lure and wizardd. Quite right, if the administrator privilege is not required, don't use it.

Thank you both peegee7 and wizardd for your help. Again however, I am

unable to get onto the regular server, or run the 1.30 client offline.

The 1.31 beta on the other hand, continues to provide yeoman service.

Have you tried downloading and reinstalling a new copy of the 1.30 client? Just in case your current copy has become corrupted?

My apologies Peegee77, I must have confused this thread with another.

I had downloaded a fresh copy of 1.30, and it too refused to run in

either off or online. Thanks for the reminder though. :)

My apologies Peegee77, I must have confused this thread with another.

I had downloaded a fresh copy of 1.30, and it too refused to run in

either off or online. Thanks for the reminder though. :)

make your own thread about it, and i'll see if i can help you out, but no sense spamming out a sticky thread on here if its unrelated.

make your own thread about it' date=' and i'll see if i can help you out, but no sense spamming out a sticky thread on here if its unrelated.[/quote']

My apologies indo420 for failing to understand, but I am confused. How are my comments unrelated to running WWIIOL on Windows 7?

My apologies indo420 for failing to understand' date=' but I am confused. How are my comments unrelated to running WWIIOL on Windows 7?[/quote']

well it typically takes quite a few posts to solve someones problem running ww2ol, and since this is a permanant thread, I'd rather put those posts into a thread that will disappear, and leave this thread with just posts that have tips and tricks for getting ww2ol working.

not trying to come off as a a@# hat, just wanted to keep this thread from getting alot of semi-non related posts.

DXDIAG's usually take quite a few posts to get it all in.

Thanks for sharing, helped me out too. My mouse froze out for no apparent reason, when going ingame at the side-pick menu.

**UPDATE**

I can't edit my original post, so I will just give a brief update with reference to the above.

The current version of the game is 1.30.3.255 and I will amend these notes as required

These notes apply to all current 1.30.x.x live and all 1.31.x.x beta versions. The same advice should apply to all versions.

1. We will need to know where WWIIOL is installed. W7 uses two program file locations, "Program Files" and "Program Files (X86)", and WWIIOL will be installed in the second of these. Your path to WWIIOL will probably be "C:\Program Files (x86)\CRS\Battleground Europe" where C:\ is your main drive. If your main drive is D:\ or whatever, amend accordingly.

If you are running both the live and beta versions, you will have two directories. Using the logic above, your beta directory will be "C:\Program Files (x86)\CRS\Battleground Europe TEST". Follow the instructions for the files in both directories.

Click on the "Privilege Level" box to put a tick (check mark) in it and set it to "Run this program as an administrator"

I am assured by several reliable sources in the WWIIOL community that it is NOT necessary to run any of the WWIIOL .exe programs as administrator. In that case, for reasons of security, IGNORE this instruction unless you find it is needed.

These notes only deal with running WWIIOL as an application on W7. There may be other issues such as device drivers, device compatibility under W7, and so on. These are NOT covered here.

If you upgrade to W7 from an earlier OS it is possible that you can follow all the advice here, but still get a problem because some of your hardware has issues with W7. It may even be the case that these only become apparent with WWIOL even though everything works fine in other games. If that is the case, post a new thread with details of your hardware and the problem you are getting - the chances are one of the experten in the community will be able to help you solve it.

Just purchased a new Alienware computer with wondows 7, it will now load the game but my mouse will not work once the game is loaded.

my new comp run good for 2 days and not it says windows has stopped working when i try to log in

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260

Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Chip type: GeForce GTX 260

DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_05EA&SUBSYS_073810DE&REV_A1

Display Memory: 486 MB

Dedicated Memory: 1771 MB

Shared Memory: 2811 MB

Current Mode: 1680 x 1050 (32 bit) (59Hz)

Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor

Monitor Model: DELL 2208WFP

Monitor Id: DEL403C

Native Mode: 1680 x 1050(p) (59.954Hz)

Output Type: DVI

Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um

Driver File Version: 8.16.0011.9120 (English)

Driver Version: 8.16.11.9120

DDI Version: 10

Driver Model: WDDM 1.1

Driver Attributes: Final Retail

Driver Date/Size: 11/11/2009 06:59:34, 9441384 bytes

WHQL Logo'd: n/a

WHQL Date Stamp: n/a

Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-46AA-11CF-CE50-33271EC2C535}

Vendor ID: 0x10DE

Device ID: 0x05EA

SubSys ID: 0x073810DE

Revision ID: 0x00A1

Driver Strong Name: oem52.inf:NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.6.1:Section011:8.16.11.9120:pci\ven_10de&dev_05ea&subsys_07381n.

Machine name: ROBERTBRADY-PC

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.100226-1909)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: Alienware

System Model: Area 51

BIOS: Default System BIOS

Processor: Intel® Core i7 CPU 930 @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.8GHz

Memory: 6144MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 6134MB RAM

Page File: 2380MB used, 9887MB available

Windows Dir: C:\Windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

User DPI Setting: Using System DPI

System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)

DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled

DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 32bit Unicode

WW2 has stopped working

new computer, installed and played about 2 days. now when I try to log in a box pops up " WW2 HAS STOPPED WORKING ", windows is searching for a solution. then another box pops up and says" a problem has caused the program to not work properly "

my system info in in a thread titled WW2 has stopped working

Rbrady, I am getting that same message on my alienware system cept it never loade the game for me yet. I have the same video card. I have did the things peegee said. So what happened for you?

I have installed every windows update

I have installed the latest video card drivers (nvidia 260gtx)

I have installed all soundcard drivers.

I have set the compat mode to vista pack2 and admin on and off

Still cant get the load screen to go all the way thru, says WW2 not working.,,,,7

Edited by sevenedg

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0