Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sixpence

Hard drive going nuts

14 posts in this topic

My hard drive has been going crazy for the past few days, making alot of noise. It is louder in it's actions than ever before and will go nuts even while the computer is sitting idle. I have done the defrag, but I have not tested the hard drive with any software.

My guess is there is something up with the drive, and I am fine with that as I was thinking of upgrading and trying to figure out how to run a raid setup.

But one problem I have is that I want to save the links I have in my favorites. Is there a way to do this to a small usb drive?

That drive is probably about to die. Buy a new drive and start backing up things you want to keep. Your bookmarks will be an html file called 'bookmarks'. If you don't know how to back them up I wouldn't suggest you start getting involved in raid setups.

That drive is probably about to die. Buy a new drive and start backing up things you want to keep. Your bookmarks will be an html file called 'bookmarks'. If you don't know how to back them up I wouldn't suggest you start getting involved in raid setups.

Just for saying that..

I'm doing it!!

Heat can play a part as well. It could cause a HDD to prematurely fail. If your HDD is really making some loud noises it may be about to fail. It could also be something has your HDD working overtime, thus your just hearing it constantly.

Is the HDD making lots of noise as if it is running something, yet you can not account for that activity?

If your answer is yes, I'd recommend you get your security software updated and start conducting full system scans.

Last time I had a PC that was working overtime for no reason was due to a virus.

Is the HDD making lots of noise as if it is running something, yet you can not account for that activity?

If your answer is yes, I'd recommend you get your security software updated and start conducting full system scans.

Last time I had a PC that was working overtime for no reason was due to a virus.

A good possibility, or its constantly recalibrating because its about to die.

All harddrives fail. It's just a matter of time. Never store anything you think is important on just ONE harddrive.

Also, don't consider RAID as a backup solution. RAID is about availability and performance. Backup is about copying files to a separate media like a different HD, a DVD or USB-stick.

Assuming you use Internet Explorer and Windows XP you bookmarks will be stored in a folder called "Favorites" in your user folder.

Example:

C:\Documents and Settings\\Favorites

Are you on Windows 7?

Over the past few days I've been having problems with my HD going flat out and CPU at 100%. According to my Task Manager there's nothing going on.

Had a quick look in Google and it seems there's a problem in W7 that MS is trying to ignore.

All harddrives fail. It's just a matter of time. Never store anything you think is important on just ONE harddrive.

my disks never fail

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0