Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
flea

Build me a computer on the cheap! kthx!

34 posts in this topic

I'm not being lazy... I just haven't built a computer since AGP was the rage and 250W power supplies were like nuclear power plants. I honestly am overwhelmed by dual core intels and quad core something or others. I want to build a system that will play WWIIOL decently enough that I'm not going to biatch but it also has to be relatively cheap. My only luxury request is a video card that supports audio through HMDI... with or without an adapter... so I can watch movies.

So... lets get this started shall we?

CPU/Motherboard?

Video Card?

Sound Card?

RAM?

Case?

I've yet to decide on HDD but I'll pick somethin up. If possible include a price range? (that part is being lazy lol)

CPU/Motherboard?

Video Card?

Sound Card?

RAM?

Case?

CPU...your choice AMD vs. Intel. AMD is significantly cheaper and has speeds more than capable of handling this game. Intel has much higher speeds but the cost is really high.

Motherboard...again your choice but I like Asus, foxconn, Gigabyte, Abit, Asrock, and DFI. The important thing here is to ensure your CPU is designed to fit the SOCKET your motherboard has. With AMD I believe the latest is the AM3. With intel I believe it is i7...though someone correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Soundcard...some nice cards at an expensive price would be Asus xonar or Creative XFI Titanium. You can however get some cheaper cards that sound great such as SIIG or turtlebeach. Just make sure the sound card has a spot on your motherboard whether your using PCI or PCIe 1.0. If you choose a motherboard with a bad layout, you might not be able to get a sound card in there if you use a graphic card that takes up two slots. For instance, say your using a large GFX card in your PCIe2.0 slot and it blocks your smaller 1.0 slot. If your sound card uses a 1.0 slot it would not fit because your GFX card is in the way. This problem is compounded more if you run crossfire. MAKE SURE you have a spot for your GFX card and that your PCI or PCIe1.0 slot is far enough away to clear your GFX card.

RAM...first make sure it matches your motherboard. Whether it uses DDR2 or DDR3. The difference between these two is minimal. Prices are "about" the same and DDR3 is only slightly faster. Also, you have to choose the speed of the ram you get. Some CPU's will NOT support faster ram, thus it will run at a certain default speed. For instance, a AM2 socket CPU may not support 1066 memory but the AM2+ or AM3 socket CPU's will. Also, you have to make sure your motherboard will support the speed you are interested in getting. Some good brands are OCZ, Corsair, Mushkin, Kingston, and Crucial. Other brands work fine as well, but these are a few of the common names.

CASE...this is personal preference. Some like cool looks. Some like excellent cooling. If your lucky you'll find a combination of both. As for me, I don't care so much about looks. I use an Antec 900 which currently houses 2xfront 120mm Scythe fans, 1xrear 120mm scythe fan, 1xside 120mm scythe fan, and 1x200mm top fan. All the 120mm fans push about 131cfm of air so it sounds like a jet engine. But I want to make sure there is proper cooling for my GFX card, CPU, etc. The better cooling your hardware is the better and longer it performs.

HDD...you can get a raptor which is really fast. I just used 2xHDD's and setup a RAID 0 configuration and I get great speed. It only takes a few seconds for the game to load plus I can open several other programs at the same time. The problem with using a RAID 0 is if one HDD fails you lose the whole system. You can get 1xRaptor HDD and your speed should be fine.

If you post your budget I'm sure people could throw a thousand different builds your way. If your looking for a cheaper build there is still plenty of good choices. The main part I wouldn't go to cheap on is your motherboard. It is the heart and that is not something you want failing.

Edited by stdyhand

give us a budget and ill put one together from newegg for you. I've heard big price differences when some people say 'on the cheap'.

Personally, for a budget i7 rig that will play this no problem and still hold its worth for a few years I'd put aside $1000 or so. (including: motherboard, power supply, graphics card, case, memory, cpu, hard drive, sound card and windows 7).

Again though we need to know your budget. That $1000 is getting you a mid-high end gaming rig. I can bring it down to about $800-600 heading down the scale on technology.

Things like screen etc. I assume you'll keep from your current setup?

Edited by blipoop

Well he said on the cheap so I'm reckoning $500 ish mark.

I made a post in the mac forums about a cheapish build with loads of punch. If you already have a monitor then this sort of thing would be suitable. I am sure others will find direct links or suggestions once we establish budget.

GTX 260 ($150 - $175)

LGA 775 Socket Mobo $55 + (Decent enough spec Asus, Gigabyte etc)

6500 Wolfdale Core 2 Duo ($90) - E8500 bit more but very good. (3.16ghz)

PSU 600W or greater. $60 - 80

Memory DDR2 PC26400 800mhz ($50 for 2GB)

If you want nice case Antec 300 is very good - $54

CD drive ?/ $20

Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 (If you want good CPU cooling) $35

Maybe an internal fan or two for the case ($15 Ish)

320 - 500 GB sata 2 drive $50

That's about $500 with everything new. If you have existing bits to use even better.

Sorry guys, budget would be helpful eh? yeah 500.00 mark would be neat. Butr 700-800 is possible if I just build it over a month or two. But I'm impatient. I already have the monitor from my old system

Edited by flea

Do you have a max budget? What else would you use this for?

nodaker

probably just WWIIOL and watching movies.

Cool well start with Processor prices then mobo. An I7 processor will cost around $280+ so it may stretch budget as mobo will be $180 so not much left for the rest.

I think core 2 duo the way forward. Motherboards liek below will do the trick if you only plan on one graphics card which you will. Larger mobos about $100 with more slots etc,.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128388

CPU - I used to used this - very good but bit more pricey.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128388

Another option would be something like,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115206

Memory - DDR2 800mhz or 1066mhz, Can start with 2GB and add 2GB in a month. Check how many ram slots on your mobo you buy first :)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148208

Case - Well I love these Antecs 300 would work great (I have one but also 900)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129042&cm_re=antec_300-_-11-129-042-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129021&cm_re=antec_900-_-11-129-021-_-Product

Power Supply Don't get a $35 cheap one it will blow up :)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341019

This one is a bargain for $60 and will be plenty enough. 600W will be plenty for this system but for price I think something like this very good after the mail in rebate. (This one 700W)

For CPU cooling an after market fan makes a big difference - 10 C or so.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134&cm_re=arctic_cooler-_-35-186-134-_-Product

Other available.

Graphics card. I am still using a GTX 260 - Will take on any game really. One example here but can get a bit cheaper if you look around - XFX good make with good swapout support from my experience.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150398&cm_re=gtx_260-_-14-150-398-_-Product

Thats most of it. Start looking around and pricing up but that will egt you a really good rig for about $600 and last a few years.

Edited by badger77

Antec 200 case is a great case also, very quiet and has a SATA HD slot in the front.

I wouldnt waste money a a fancy CPU cooler unless you plan to overclock, stock cooler is fine.

E8400 and E8500 are a good value.

Ram prices suck right now but I'd still go with a pair 2x2 pc8500, Gskill are good value if you can catch the combo deal.

I like the Gigabyte MB, been building with the ep45-udp3, great sound chip onboard, over $100 though. It doesnt like Gskill memory in primary slots but secondary work fine.

Personally I think anyone looking at a budget build with balls should take a look at the AMD chips. There are several good CPU's around $100. Plus I just bought a DDR3 capable AM3 motherboard for $70 off newegg.

But check out this article. It's just what you need. The graphics card they list is more than you need so you could save a few bucks there.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-gaming-pc,2424.html

nodaker

Edited by nodaker

Unless you enjoy your PC make insane noises - do not buy a Raptor.

They cost a fortune, and they are LOUD!

If you wanna spend a fortune on storage - then buy a SSD - The Raptor doesnt hold a candle to those! (And dont be cheap about it, buy the Intel X-25 or higher!)

Cheap? I picked up an AMD 3.4 gig quad core 965 black edition on sale at microcenter for $169.00, hows that for cheap?

Cheap? I picked up an AMD 3.4 gig quad core 965 black edition on sale at microcenter for $169.00' date=' hows that for cheap?[/quote']

Sorry, I should have added to that. Look, there are lots of ways to build a system on the cheap. But in my experience through years of playing this game, I have found the faster the CPU, the better your FPS, more than any other piece of hardware.

I run a gigabyte motherboard ($89), 8 gig OCZ gold 800 ($185, that I picked up last june for $93), a phenom quad 3.4 965 black edition ($185, and again I found on sale at microcenter for $169)

Now I spent good money on a power supply, but there are plenty of 550-650 watt ps that are plenty cheap.

I also run a lowly nvidia 9600 GT and have GREAT FPS and run fraps, track IR, and even a 2nd account at the same time.

If you run a 32 bit OS you can run 4 gig of memory and save even more money.

If you want performance on the cheap, go AMD. Make sure if you are building yourself to by arctive silver and make sure your heat sink and fan are good and seated correctly. This puppy throws alot of heat, as does any CPU that requires alot of power.

Edited by sixpence

Good point on the power supply. Don't skimp too much on the PSU. You don't need a huge powerful one, but go with a quality brand. Check forums and reviews if you're not familiar with manufacturers.

nodaker

Well that's certainly doing it on a budget. For a little more decent performance gains are to be had.

The PSU and Graphics card I suggested are absolute winners as well as the Antec cases.

Mobo and CPU are up to you. I prefer the Intel E8500 3.16 wolfdale as it matches up towards the top AMD's just about but uses less power and can be clocked.

At the low end the AMD's are pretty good btu again it's down to preference at this level.

Call me STUPID, but i';m almost ready to just buy a System built already. i'm with Flea, i have a Friend who builds my PC's,. Matter of fact, he's built my last 3 PC's.

But i'm seriously considering going with this System from Dell for $40.00 a month payments ......................

I'd like your Opinions of the System i've designed for them to build if i do choose his road to travel ...................

PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ i7 920 2.66GHz (8MB Cache) Quad Core Processor

OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English

VIDEO CARD Single 1.8GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 260

MEMORY 6GB Triple Channel 1067MHz DDR3

HARD DRIVE 640GB - SATA-II, 3Gb/s, 7,200RPM, 16MB Cache HDD

OPTICAL DRIVE Single Drive: 24X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability

MONITOR No Monitor

KEYBOARD Alienware Multi-Media Keyboard

MOUSE Alienware Optical Mouse, MG100

Don't do it Jammyman!

Config looks OK.

Actually looks really ok.

The i7 920 is cheap and delivers almost the same as the 940 (on air it can easily be OCed up to the 3GHz mark without any problems at all.

You got 6Gb DDR3 which is good since that gives you the triple channel - all ok there as well.

The GTX260 is a solid Video card as well - so all in all the config looks quite ok, but Dell are anti-christ!

Edited by Szyporyn

Building a pc today with out a Sata iii (6 gb/s) and USB 3.0 motherboard is a crime.

how many M/B's have usb 3.0 out right now with that 6 gb/s sata?

not alot...definately not on any that cost less then $125

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0