• Announcements

• SNIPER62

64-bit is LIVE   03/27/2020

CHIMM: 64-bit client is now LIVE and Campaign 172 continues!  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bugoff

USB Joystick causing FPS Slowdown

11 posts in this topic

I just noticed whenever I unplug my Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick from my Mac Pro the frame rate goes up (10 - 20 FPS). I've tried the USB ports in both the back and front of the computer, always with the same results. Each time I remove the Joystick and look at the FPS counter it jumps from 39FPS to 59FPS. Anyone have any ideas why a joystick plugged into a USB port would slowdown WWIIO's frame rate?

Robert

Edited by bugoff

Tried removing the joystick while playing and nothing changed. Mine is plugged into the keyboard.

The only reason which could cause noticable slowdown should be buggy driver implementing polling behaviour.

I do remember old Mac OS Classic days then iOmega Zip or Jazz drive, then performing file copy operation, made system literally crawl.

Does the joystick using custom 3rd party driver?

The joystick is a Logitech Extreme 3D. It was plug and play. No drivers were installed. I simple plugged the joystick into my Mac Pro using one of the USB ports located on the front of my case. I also tried using the USB port on the keyboard. The keyboard is plugged into the back of the case.

To test, I spawned into a town and waited for the FPS to stabilize. Next, I reached down and unplugged the joystick and when I looked up the FPS jumped up 10+ frames per second. This does not make sense. The Mac Pro is one of the newer generations Mac's so USB bandwidth should not be an issue.

Anyone see this kind of behavior?

Robert

Edited by bugoff

I have thrustmaster topgun afterburner II, and it doesn't do this in 130. Joysticks are managed by the OS HID system, which is polled at the same rate as the keyboard.

May not cross over for Macs but I've seen this on PC.

USB devices can rob fps sometimes. I have a usb modem, my old comp with asus p4 mobo that modem would halve my fps when connected. With this asrock mobo it shows no difference in fps with that modem connected.

I would suggest trying dift usb ports on your comp to see if it's just a particular port or if its drops fps reguardless of port.

Ok here is the test I conducted.

Each test was conducted with a reboot after unplugging the joystick. Joystick was always plugged in just before starting WWIIO.

Berry Au Bac sitting in hanger

No Joystick 62 FPS

Berry Au Bac sitting in hanger/ Using Front USB Panel

Joystick plugged in front USB plug: 30 FPS

Remove joystick USB plug: 59: FPS

Berry Au Bac sitting in hanger/Using Rear USB Panel

Joystick plugged in rear USB plug: 28 FPS

Remove joystick USB plug: 59: FPS

Just using the joystick is causing me to lose half my frame rate.

Robert:confused::confused:

Stupid test:

what if you create new user in the system preferences, log under new user and try the same?

That could help to realize if the problem related to your particular user account/preferences or whole system.

Another test, try another 3d type of game and see if it happens. Everyone uses the same OSX HID framework to gather the data.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0