Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

I found a gas leak in the game

KMS

If you spawn into Valenciennes-Orchies depot and go to the building south of the depots.... then run south on the east side you will get to the SE corner of the building by the staircase.

If you run around in that room you will die, no shots, no enemy... just a faulty heater leaking poison gas into the room.

Repeated 4 times to verify

Is there an HVAC guy in the house?

If you spawn into Valenciennes-Orchies depot and go to the building south of the depots.... then run south on the east side you will get to the SE corner of the building by the staircase.

If you run around in that room you will die, no shots, no enemy... just a faulty heater leaking poison gas into the room.

It is mustard gas.

I just verified this *offline*.

What the HELL, CRS?!

Version 1.30, offliner for me. I don't have 1.31 beta.

As I ran around the room, I noticed a screen flash as I went past the doorway on the east wall. I circled back and ran though that spot again, and instant death, red bar goes from 100% to 0% in about 4 seconds.

Edited by romzburg

I thought you were just having a laugh, but I tested it and can confirm that there is a "room of death" in 1.30 as described. In 1.31 you can't get into the building in that location, so I guess it counts as "fixed".

Even though 1.31 has "fixed" it, I would still like to know WTF?!

I remember in the past a lot of players would complain about a "POD" while flying, "Pixel Of Death".

I remember CRS saying they were all a bunch of loons.

I would seriously like an actual explanation from CRS on this.

It is 100% reproducible, they can look at the death event to see what it was.

Waiting now.

Not sure if 1.31 will have fixed it. It is just that new buidlings have repaced the old ones, and you can no longer get inside them to test it.

The actual location where the death occurs is 50.21.42N 3.29.59E. It can be replicated reliably every time.

Mods might like to move this thread to Bug Reports & Testing Forum

In the real world, this spot is beside the parking lot of the Valenciennes Hospital.

valhosp.jpg

Edited by romzburg

RAT reply to mark it on Dev Tracker. May be interesting to finally spot a POD, but likely a clipping issue here in this terrain. Don't know for sure.

JOKER007

I like the gas leak theory myself :)

I too saw the flash.. you die right after it, sometimes you need to go through the "flash" a couple of times.

Odd thing is none of my deaths there showed up on CSR... what tipped me off were 2 other players talking about it and trying to find their killer but none showed in stats... there is no AI that fires on that spot so I knew something was amiss.

I had a GM watch me as I died in the room a few times and he reported it.

I found a hole in the ground. I have not fallen into one of them since maybe 1.2 or something.

50.7.21 N 3.25.8 E

Near Caudry in the bushes. You fall into the center of the earth. You can watch the ground go up in the air as trucks, infantry, trees and bushes on it float up into the the seeming dark sky and you can watch your body fall way into the darkness if you look down.

view as you fall.

hole.jpg

Image after you die and you watch yourself fall into the center of the earth. Stoners look away.:cool:

hole2.jpg

Edited by angriff

There's a rational explanation to all of this...

The place is haunted!!!

RAT reply to mark it on Dev Tracker. May be interesting to finally spot a POD, but likely a clipping issue here in this terrain. Don't know for sure.

JOKER007

If it is a gas leak it almost sure to be a cometus hack. :D

I found a hole in the ground. I have not fallen into one of them since maybe 1.2 or something.

50.7.21 N 3.25.8 E

Near Caudry in the bushes. You fall into the center of the earth. You can watch the ground go up in the air as trucks, infantry, trees and bushes on it float up into the the seeming dark sky and you can watch your body fall way into the darkness if you look down.

I actually fell through a hole in the ground as a para once, with my chute still deployed. I was BELOW a city by about 300m and could run around no problem... it was really weird...

I like the gas leak theory myself :)

I too saw the flash.. you die right after it, sometimes you need to go through the "flash" a couple of times.

Odd thing is none of my deaths there showed up on CSR... what tipped me off were 2 other players talking about it and trying to find their killer but none showed in stats... there is no AI that fires on that spot so I knew something was amiss.

I had a GM watch me as I died in the room a few times and he reported it.

I am not sure that I like the term "Gas leak" What about a "Kriptic Mind Snatcher" or KMS. :rolleyes:

Clearly Valenciennes hospital is doubling as a bio-warfare research site.

They can scoop up the bodies out of the parking lot and hustle them into the morgue for autopsy before anyone notices - except that Romzburg is no on to them now.

I'll wait for the Guardian expose to get the facts.

Cheers,

Joe

I will try to document this as accurately as I can because I think it shows what is happening, and also raises some issues that need an answer.

The first image is taken from Valenciennes > Orchies Depot looking South. This is from 1.30.3.255 offline.

bug1.jpg

You can see that there is a terrain tile join running North - South from where I am standing. If you follow it South it passes across various open areas and through buildings. At a number of points along this join - not just the location identified previously - it becomes fatal to cross the join or stand on it. Sometimes there is a slight flicker as you cross it before you die, at other times you just die without warning.

The second image is again taken from Valenciennes > Orchies Depot looking South from approximately the same point. This is from 1.31.0.18 offline.

bug2.jpg

You can see that, although the textures are new, the join runs in the same place. So far I have been unable to find anywhere along this line that causes an unexplained death. However, at a number of points along the join I experience a severe "stutter" where my avatar freezes for a moment and the FPS drops to 1 or 2. If I stay either one side of the join or the other my FPS is fairly stable. It is only when I cross the join that the game freezes for a moment.

As a final point, it isn't directly relevant to this topic but I had to just put a red circle around the FPS display. I find that performance drop very worrying.

I remember in the past a lot of players would complain about a "POD" while flying, "Pixel Of Death".

I remember CRS saying they were all a bunch of loons.

I would seriously like an actual explanation from CRS on this.

It is 100% reproducible, they can look at the death event to see what it was.

Waiting now.

AHAH yeah like CTHL was our problem too!

Nice documentation Peegee.

Thank you,

JOKER007

I will try to document this as accurately as I can because I think it shows what is happening, and also raises some issues that need an answer.

The first image is taken from Valenciennes > Orchies Depot looking South. This is from 1.30.3.255 offline.

bug1.jpg

You can see that there is a terrain tile join running North - South from where I am standing. If you follow it South it passes across various open areas and through buildings. At a number of points along this join - not just the location identified previously - it becomes fatal to cross the join or stand on it. Sometimes there is a slight flicker as you cross it before you die, at other times you just die without warning.

The second image is again taken from Valenciennes > Orchies Depot looking South from approximately the same point. This is from 1.31.0.18 offline.

bug2.jpg

You can see that, although the textures are new, the join runs in the same place. So far I have been unable to find anywhere along this line that causes an unexplained death. However, at a number of points along the join I experience a severe "stutter" where my avatar freezes for a moment and the FPS drops to 1 or 2. If I stay either one side of the join or the other my FPS is fairly stable. It is only when I cross the join that the game freezes for a moment.

As a final point, it isn't directly relevant to this topic but I had to just put a red circle around the FPS display. I find that performance drop very worrying.

This is what I tested on:

------------------

System Information

------------------

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7100)

BIOS: BIOS Date: 09/01/08 15:56:54 Ver: 06.02

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+ (2 CPUs), ~3.0GHz

Memory: 4096MB RAM

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT

Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Driver File Version: 8.16.0011.9107 (English)

bug1.jpg

bug2.jpg

Here's my theory on the FPS smackdown.

If you are on a specific tile the game loads the structures that are on that tile into RAM so they can be displayed when you get within sight of them, plus all the structures on the surrounding tiles.

So if you look at your numeric keypad and let "5" represent the tile you are on, the game loads all the structures on the tiles that surround tile 5, that is, 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8 and 9.

Now lets say you step left of tile 5 and now you are on tile 4. The game needs to load the structures that are on the tiles that are to the left of "7", "4" and "1", and it can unload the stuff on "9", "6" and "3".

If there are no new structures on the tiles to the left of "7", "4" and "1" there will be no stutter. But if they have a bunch of things that are not already in RAM because they are on a tile currently loaded, there will be stutters as your computer tries to load them all.

That's my theory.