Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

I found a gas leak in the game

KMS

Bump for the people in the other thread to see the Pixel of Death info, and also to ask CRS if they have looked into this yet....

bug2.jpg

There is a invisible gap between the tiles. If you cross it very slowly with inf you'll fall through and die. (1.30)

Edited by lure

There is a invisible gap between the tiles. If you cross it very slowly with inf you'll fall through and die. (1.30)

That's actually not the issue here.

The screen shot referencing the terrain tile join is talking about the massive FPS hit when stepping from one side of thast join to the other.

The instant death issue is not caused by falling through the earth.

It does occur on the terrain join line, but you do not fall. You suffer instant blackscreen and collapse dead on the ground right there. You don't fall through the ground and eventually die.

I just gave this a BUNCH of new testing, and the instant death does NOT occur only in that one room in the SE corner of the big builfing south of the Orchies depot.

Instant death occurs in EVERY room, all along that terrain join while you are *inside* a building that has that same terrain join running through it. Look on the map and see that 5 buildings have that terrain join running through them.

The 3 that are oriented with long sides of buildings going N-S *all* give instant death as you run on that join.

The 2 with longs sides going E-W only flaash screen, n o matter how mauch I tried I couldn't get an instant death event.

I went to the next terrain join to the East (800 meters east, in the building near the river & bridge), and was able to get an instant death event once, but not when I tried it again.

Weird.

Good luck CRS.

Hmmm yes interesting ...died a couple of times but not everywhere on the line.

Setting up a tank just in front of the join could perhaps make a good sapper trap.:D

Hmmm yes interesting ...died a couple of times but not everywhere on the line.

Setting up a tank just in front of the join could perhaps make a good sapper trap.:D

You only die *inside* a building, not outside.

I died in those three N-S running buildings every time I ran the join.

You only die *inside* a building, not outside.

I died in those three N-S running buildings every time I ran the join.

I died outside on the terrain join line...once when i stepped on to it from the south of the join line and again a little further along it but not everywhere on it......I didn't try on every point of the line so there may be other places where it happens.

Edited by gagsy
clarification

I died outside on the terrain join line...once when i stepped on to it from the south of the join line and again a little further along it but not everywhere on it......I didn't try on every point of the line so there may be other places where it happens.

Weird.

I actually jogged the line trying to die.

I would get that weird little "hop" and the noise, (like when you run from one level onto another level in, say, rubble to street, or loading ramp to street, stuff like that), all along the join, but I never died.

Bump for the people in the other thread to see the Pixel of Death info' date=' and also to ask CRS if they have looked into this yet....[/quote']

Pixel of Death has been adequately explained by DOC in the past. Search the hangar or ask Oyaji, he's pretty good at digging stuff up like that.

Pixel of Death has been adequately explained by DOC in the past. Search the hangar or ask Oyaji' date=' he's pretty good at digging stuff up like that.[/quote']

Only explanations I've seen have been pretty much wild guessing that some random "bad" network packets would cause the PoD, probably a result from spending too much time investigating and not finding anything. I think the findings here are new clues.

Only explanations I've seen have been pretty much wild guessing that some random "bad" network packets would cause the PoD' date=' probably a result from spending too much time investigating and not finding anything. I think the findings here are new clues.[/quote']
"The Pixel of Death" (PoD)

Long held explanation of spontraneous immolation of aircraft when flying in a seemingly empty sky around them. Since no aircaft or munitions are observed colliding with said aircraft, and a smoking hulk is left frozen in place afterwards, exactly as if they had collided with something ... the legend of the lone stray pixel was born. The pixel of death.

The assumption is that a pixel is floating in the sky that a plane can collide with. Best guesses must also assume this pixel is invisible (no texture applied) since no one has ever seen it.

Application of collision parameters employed by the game however, quickly uncover the anomaly in this myth. Bushes are made of pixels rendered on screen but not being equipped with colliders you can pass right through them without exploding. So the culprit cannot logically be a pixel of death.

It must be a Random Collider Point in Space of Death. (RCPiSoD)

Pixel of Death is much cooler sounding. :D

This is here to meet the minimum requirement for post length.

Weird.

I actually jogged the line trying to die.

I would get that weird little "hop" and the noise, (like when you run from one level onto another level in, say, rubble to street, or loading ramp to street, stuff like that), all along the join, but I never died.

I definitely got the whole works and very quickly ...no fading out just an instant black screen...only happened along the line stepped on to it a couple of places from the side and there was no effect but tbh I wouldn't call my efforts an exhaustive test.:)

We are looking at this but:-

1. There is a terrain tile seam there because that's where the tiles are joined, this cannot be expected to be different in that v1.30 and v1.31 both use the same terrain tile construction of the game world. A change in texture employed to paint the tile doesn't change the underlying structure that remains the reason the tile exists in the first place.

2. While there is no one here doubting you had a problem "running along that seam" we just spent 30 minutes testing this in house with the latest client (v1.31.0.20) and found we could not replicate this report, then we tested the current live (v1.30.0.5.255) version and also could not replicate the reported event (death caused by the seam itself)

3. With the transition of all 2D buildings to 3D buildings and from one giant 2D block to separate 3D building models combining to cover the same ground as the previous "gigantic 2D block" ... triangle counts in urban "large" city environments such as this one have increased more than a fourfold magnitude. With a new loading and render pipe some of this cost has been absorbed, but by no means all of it. Better more modern video cards with higher fill-rates has also absorbed some of it, but again, by no means all of it.

We expect a drop in overall frame-rates when compared directly to v1.30 and it's 2D block buildings because the environment is way more expensive to draw now that it is a modular 3D environment in v1.31, this is why we have new min.spec. requirements but those new requirements will not guarantee frame-rates as high as those available with v1.30. Because of the huge increase in triangle counts the new cities have created what we are really trying to achieve is a SMOOTHER render operation rather than attempting to get a really high number of FPS. In effect, because they scene is much more complex and triangle dependent that it was previously, we are more interested in say, half as many frames (replace 80 with 40 for example) but with stutter (loading) problems eliminated.

We consider 30 FPS to be our bottom line. If you get really smooth 30 FPS with a much more attractive environment render ... we consider that more important than getting 60 FPS with stutters and a load of paper thin 2D building blocks to play in.

v1.31 cannot ever achieve the same high FPS number in big towns any of you saw with v1.30 because it is a much more complex scene in those towns now. Keep in mind we are still exploring ways to have a higher FPS performance in v1.31 than the recent offline v1.31 sneak peak release might reveal. whether we get any further increase is impossible to say while that work is still in progress rather than "completed".

I will record video of this bug tomorrow. I did not notice any FPS drop while testing it the other day but the death and strange stepping sound along the join was easy enough to replicate offline.

Ok, videos as promised. I get this bug to trigger very easy on my computer.

As stated in the original post this is at Valenciennes-Orchies depot.

Note the sound in the videos when crossing the terrain join line. When crossing over the line there is the same sound as when you fall a smaller distance as infantry and land on ground. I did not focus the videos on this, i focused on the dying part.

First video:

http://www.thelure.se/bugs/GasLeakBug_Inside.avi (XviD, 95MB)

This video takes place in the building described in the original post. Note the sudden black screen flickering that takes place very often when I run over the terrain join without dying. I think the flickering shows in the video.

Second video takes place outside right by the flag building:

http://www.thelure.se/bugs/GasLeakBug_Outside.mp4 (MP4, 74 MB)

If you walk slowly across the terrain join you die. It's easier to trigger if you use walk-mode and quickly tap forward and backward keys to take very small "steps" forward. When you notice your avatar "jump" a little you crossed the join and you have to go backwards. Keep going forward and backwards with as small steps as possible over the join and you'll end up dead.

For some reason I selected different codecs in kdenlive encoing the videos but I think the videos should both play fine in VLC.

If you can't view them for some reason I'll youtube them so they become easier to view.

Edited by lure

We are looking at this but:-

1. There is a terrain tile seam there because that's where the tiles are joined, this cannot be expected to be different in that v1.30 and v1.31 both use the same terrain tile construction of the game world. A change in texture employed to paint the tile doesn't change the underlying structure that remains the reason the tile exists in the first place.

2. While there is no one here doubting you had a problem "running along that seam" we just spent 30 minutes testing this in house with the latest client (v1.31.0.20) and found we could not replicate this report, then we tested the current live (v1.30.0.5.255) version and also could not replicate the reported event (death caused by the seam itself)

3. With the transition of all 2D buildings to 3D buildings and from one giant 2D block to separate 3D building models combining to cover the same ground as the previous "gigantic 2D block" ... triangle counts in urban "large" city environments such as this one have increased more than a fourfold magnitude. With a new loading and render pipe some of this cost has been absorbed, but by no means all of it. Better more modern video cards with higher fill-rates has also absorbed some of it, but again, by no means all of it.

We expect a drop in overall frame-rates when compared directly to v1.30 and it's 2D block buildings because the environment is way more expensive to draw now that it is a modular 3D environment in v1.31, this is why we have new min.spec. requirements but those new requirements will not guarantee frame-rates as high as those available with v1.30. Because of the huge increase in triangle counts the new cities have created what we are really trying to achieve is a SMOOTHER render operation rather than attempting to get a really high number of FPS. In effect, because they scene is much more complex and triangle dependent that it was previously, we are more interested in say, half as many frames (replace 80 with 40 for example) but with stutter (loading) problems eliminated.

We consider 30 FPS to be our bottom line. If you get really smooth 30 FPS with a much more attractive environment render ... we consider that more important than getting 60 FPS with stutters and a load of paper thin 2D building blocks to play in.

v1.31 cannot ever achieve the same high FPS number in big towns any of you saw with v1.30 because it is a much more complex scene in those towns now. Keep in mind we are still exploring ways to have a higher FPS performance in v1.31 than the recent offline v1.31 sneak peak release might reveal. whether we get any further increase is impossible to say while that work is still in progress rather than "completed".

I installed a new Vid Card yesterday, so after reading this post today, I decided to test it again, maybe my old card was the problem.

Nope.

I spawned at the Orchies Depot, ran south to the big 2-D building just past the warehouse, went inside and continued south, and in the second room got instant death while running on the seam.

I didn't check the other buildings that also have that same seam the way I checked before, but I would assume the Vid Card changed nothing there either.

Very strange that the only places I got instant death were inside the large 2D buildings that have their longer side running N-S. The two that are oriented with long side E-W didn't kill me, just made the little "hop" noise.

In the beta I never died, the buildings are not enterable along that seam.

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping this. I just got this bug on wide open ground running straight forward on auto run on live server.

Aprox. 3km West of Wiltz AF I was running due W over a terrain join at 49.57.54N 5.52.0E.

I ran back to the spot and just got their in time to see my body dissappear. It was smack on a N-S terrain tile join.

Sortie:

http://csr.wwiionline.com/scripts/services/persona/sortie.jsp?sid=222596&pid=584544

There is a bug with the terrain join tiles causing instant-death and it's not related to buildings.

I think if I were running around out in the middle of a field and I saw a whole bunch of red lines all over the ground I would have avoided them. I mean' date=' when have red lines all over the ground been anything good?[/quote']

Looking back at it I should have suspected some kind of trap.

Don't bother bumping this. It is a dead issue (see my last post).

I'm only keeping it open because you guys are active on the topic (shenanigans).

There will be no new patches for 1.30 and that means no new terrain until 1.31.