• Announcements

• HEAVY265

New Forum Lead!   11/17/2019

It's with great pleasure to announce B2K as the new Forum Lead.   I am very confident he will be good for the forums, he has great ideas and direction for the future of the forums.
      Good luck sir and GOD speed.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AHWULF

Offline Beta Here!

37 posts in this topic

ftp://downloads.playnet.com/wwiiol0000131018.dmg

Post bugs and report in http://discussions.playnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34

Make sure you add Mac to the post title (helps me anyway).

VERY IMPORTANT: Do the testing procedure in http://discussions.playnet.com/showthread.php?t=304073

Remember I am going to work with Apple to solve the performance issue wherein the mac version is slower than the PC. It's in their code; hopefully they can tell me what to do to avoid it. This version also has a bit more RAM requirement than it should which may be related.

Don't assume this is about to ship or anything; this is the first time anyone has run this on a mac other than me (and a few closed beta folks). The point is to catch issues in time to fix them. The problem Apple will help me with is clearly the performance difference between the PC and the Mac, but they will be getting this version tomorrow.

The PC b18 was out two weeks ago so some of the issues are already known but post anything you find anyway.

Note the config file is wwiiolbeta.xml so it won't interfere with your 1.30 config, although the keymapping files might have a conflict or too (seems to work for me). There are a lot more video options this time around. The shaders work now for me, the only shader with a real performance issue is Water Reflections (and thats just because it draws twice). I'm running on a GT120, it does have 512MB VRAM, but is otherwise wimpy; it does work.

I'm happy to answer questions here as usual, but remember to POST BUGS IN THE BUG FORUM.

Will test it on my macbook pro... Not sure how well it will do.. My iMac is on backorder.. might not have it in time by the end of this beta..

If we don't meet the min requirements (rockin' a 2.4 GHz not a 3.2) do you still want us to post our benchtest results?

Why not. Any data is good data. At this point its pretty slow and memory hungry but still it would be nice to see a range of macs. I don't think the rats will pay me to fly to APple and run the game in their testing lab (300 Macs).

Downloaded the beta and tryied the test.

Repeatedly crashing on the "clutter" test phase, at the same function

Thread 0 Crashed:

0 com.playnet.ww2ol-beta 0x001e63bf std::map, std::allocator >, CTree*, std::less, std::allocator > >, std::allocator, std::allocator > const, CTree*> > >::operator[](std::basic_string, std::allocator > const&) + 871

1 com.playnet.ww2ol-beta 0x001e2618 FakeVector::~FakeVector() + 674

2 com.playnet.ww2ol-beta 0x001dd93c std::deque >::~deque() + 22516

Several questions:

1) should i post the data from the "incremental" tests? i.e. i am not able to perform the "single ran" test because game crash repeatedly, but i can start the test from the point where i previously crashed

2) Where to post full crash reports (if needed)

3) what to report if my FPS jumps from 15 to 19 and not showing steady number?

Downloaded the beta and tryied the test.

Repeatedly crashing on the "clutter" test phase, at the same function

Thread 0 Crashed:

0 com.playnet.ww2ol-beta 0x001e63bf std::map, std::allocator >, CTree*, std::less, std::allocator > >, std::allocator, std::allocator > const, CTree*> > >::operator[](std::basic_string, std::allocator > const&) + 871

1 com.playnet.ww2ol-beta 0x001e2618 FakeVector::~FakeVector() + 674

2 com.playnet.ww2ol-beta 0x001dd93c std::deque >::~deque() + 22516

Several questions:

1) should i post the data from the "incremental" tests? i.e. i am not able to perform the "single ran" test because game crash repeatedly, but i can start the test from the point where i previously crashed

I crashed every time with the clutter test as well.. I posted my info here: http://forums.battlegroundeurope.com/showthread.php?t=306212

ahwulf already saw it and I am unsure if its the same bug/error. Most likely.

quick question, how do i spawn in other towns than training grounds?

thought it was double click on map but apparently it isnt.

Several questions:

Post what you can do.

Post crash in the bug report forum. It only needs to be up to and including the "Thread" section that says "Crashed"

Average. The flopping is actually a symptom of what I am getting Apples help on.

I have to say I am very impressed here.

Just run it on my basic 2009 Macbook (White) and to be honest it seems to run only marginally more slowly than the current release.

With lots of clones on screen it does slowdown but its still playable, which is far more than I was hoping for!

Result!

Avi

Yea at first, i lagged so bad i couldn't even get out of the AB spawns. But i clicked on best performance and it ran pretty smoothly. It lagged when i looked out into those trees and that big open field a tad. One thing that sucked is i couldn't shoot once i got out of the spawn??!?! I wanted to mow down all my clones but couldn't shoot. I tried multiple guns of both sides and nothin. It sucked haha. Ill try all those tests today if i get time.

Another thing, so runing this game on bootcamp will make it run twice as fast?? If that's the case, i have a little more hope. Cheaper to by a version of windows than a whole new computer.

It might also be worth giving FPS values for one of the standard tests so it's not a subjective "it's slower by a bit" type response.

I think the barracks one looking across the track at trees is quite a good standard simple one.

For example on my i7 rig I get 80 FPS down from 190 on a top end PC. I do have two other macs here so may try and post their results to give some comparisons. We know they are slower and the final release will / should be quicker so don't lose heart yet.

Well tested it on a 3ghz core 2 duo with 9800GT 512MB running 10.6.2

Got 45 FPS in training area - white mini map as others have pointed out but not as bad as I thought it may be especially once it's sorted.

It might also be worth giving FPS values for one of the standard tests so it's not a subjective "it's slower by a bit" type response.

I think the barracks one looking across the track at trees is quite a good standard simple one.

For example on my i7 rig I get 80 FPS down from 190 on a top end PC. I do have two other macs here so may try and post their results to give some comparisons. We know they are slower and the final release will / should be quicker so don't lose heart yet.

What video card?

My I7 only has a 260GTX 896MB 192 core I think (older one) but it's interesting as I have posted before that you can turn the speed of the card down to about 30 - 40% before you see a performance hit. Increase CPU and get predictable scalable increases.

Shows that in these tests the vid card is not getting pushed or bottlenecked at all.

Yeah the slowdown is in the video driver space. As long as you have enough VRAM even a crappy video card can handle the graphics (at least on better performance). The core is actually stalling in the driver, that's what Apple hopefully can help me with. When you do nothing for 50% of the time, expect half the performance :-)

Well I have everything turn on I get about 5-7 FPS

When I maxed performance its around 30-45

This is with a Macbook 2.13 2Gigs of Ram and a Geforce 9400M

Is it possible to change spawn locations? I'd like to move around and see some of the new city and town structures not to mention the new ab cap facilities.

Go to Theatre map. Click on town. Zoom in. Pick a spawn depo/ab. Spawn. Note that it forgets the location when you respawn.

I was able to run the bench with significant lag....probably due to my 128MB ATI 2400 video card.

Question for Ahwulf (and apologies for a bit of thread drift here)..I'm thinking of ordering a 27" I5, with the ATI HD 4850 card. I glanced at the recommended specs and noticed the following.

Recommended System Requirements

Windows OS: Windows XP/Vista /Windows 7

Macintosh OS: OSX 10.6/OSX 10.5

Processor: 3 GHz Dual Core or 2.66 GHz Quad Core

Memory: 4 GB

Hard Drive: 2 GB Free

Sound: on-board or better

Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 250 or Radeon HD 4850 or better*

Broadband Internet Connection

*Integrated graphics hardware is not supported

Are not all of the IMAC graphics integrated on the MB? Just wondering.

Steese

Integrated means the card uses the system's RAM, which is pretty slow. The old Intel graphics chips worked this way. Without dedicated VRAM the GPU and CPU have to content for memory. The 4850 is a good card, although on the PC side they are having some issues with it (most likely W7 driver related) but you should be OK with it for release. THat should rock as a computer.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0