• Announcements

• XOOM

Volunteer PHP Developer wanted to revive the Gazette!   07/24/2019

We're looking to properly revive the World@War Gazette and need a solid PHP developer to help take some work forward. If you have some skills with PHP and are looking for some experience and to bring important home page news / recognition for individual players back to WWII Online, I'd like to hear from you! Submit an inquiry to jobs@corneredrats.com with some details about your experience. You will need at least 10+ hours per week to contribute to the team. The Gazette's current status can be found here: https://www.wwiionline.com/resources#gazette
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AHWULF

Video Cards Comparisons

22 posts in this topic

ATI: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/131

NVidia: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/132

Note that Apple sometimes changes the clocks or fails to support certain features in what they build in.

My GT120 in my MacPro is acceptable performance, so you can compare the numbers to what you have. I will also have an ATI4870 soon. A big however though is that it depends on how well the driver works as to whether you can compare A vs B and that makes it tougher. Assuming I get something intelligent out of Apple, hopefully the final result will be more in line with the specs.

Edited by AHWULF

Thanks ahwulf; I'm just ordered a GT120 on this rec to replace the HD2600 that came stock with my Early 2k8 (3,1) Mac Pro. I would LOVE to have more than 7-12 frames when looking at trees. I'm at the point where I'm dying before I get shot if I am in the woods or moving the mouse to attack when I'm in one-on-one infantry duels.

Seeya

Yeah we were talking ingame about the 120 earlier - I couldn't remember if the GT120 was rubbish or good.

Acceptable means it will work and be OK not great or good on 1.31 ?

For video card comparisons I find this very useful

http://www.gpureview.com/

Use compare on left and you can compare any card against another and it shows texture and fill rate also which I think is very very useful.

The GT120 by the way (I had to look this up) is a 9500GT rebranded.

So based on that the HD4780 (which works in the later 800mhz mac pros) is 3 - 5 times better than the GT120 depending on what it's doing. (Based on data it can push through and fill rate, pixel fill).

Check it (9500GT / GT120) against the HD2600 on pure specs - It doesn't look a huge upgrade to be honest. It is an upgrade though.

I do know though Fun you have a music machine hence you want it quiet. The ATI's can spin up the fans when it gets pretty warm so maybe the 120 is for you.

Just thought I'd put the options out there before it lands on your doorstep and you can't send back.

It is

Having 512MB will make a big difference over the HD2600; however the fill rate and data rate are still pathetic. Not having to page textures did help. The GT120 was playable but if you can get the 4870 or 8800 the difference is pretty noticeable.

I now use the 4870 which is much better. The 8800 is older but works in the earliest MPs and isn't bad.

Yeah we were talking ingame about the 120 earlier - I couldn't remember if the GT120 was rubbish or good.

Acceptable means it will work and be OK not great or good on 1.31 ?

For video card comparisons I find this very useful

http://www.gpureview.com/

Use compare on left and you can compare any card against another and it shows texture and fill rate also which I think is very very useful.

The GT120 by the way (I had to look this up) is a 9500GT rebranded.

So based on that the HD4780 (which works in the later 800mhz mac pros) is 3 - 5 times better than the GT120 depending on what it's doing. (Based on data it can push through and fill rate, pixel fill).

Check it (9500GT / GT120) against the HD2600 on pure specs - It doesn't look a huge upgrade to be honest. It is an upgrade though.

I do know though Fun you have a music machine hence you want it quiet. The ATI's can spin up the fans when it gets pretty warm so maybe the 120 is for you.

Just thought I'd put the options out there before it lands on your doorstep and you can't send back.

It is

Anyone try the Nividea GTX285 .. looks like Nividea's top card that Apple sells 1 gb Vram ..seems to go for like $450 . looking for the absolute best card... I too hate getting shot as soon as an enemy appears , before I even get to raise my weapon... Anyone have a pimped out mac setup that they're happy with video card wize ?

Edited by polspot

Well first of all don't expect a video card to be a magic fix. Just having a super fast card may not help you in the "shot before I raised my weapon scenario". That can be internent lag, the games code (results), memory etc.

A new card won't make it a super smooth perfect lag free game.

It does make a much nicer smoother environment though.

What I have found from (PC testing) is that any good or top end video card is not stressed at all and in fact it's the processor that holds it back. (Got a core duo mac and I7 PC).

The GTX range is fantastic. I run a 260 GTX on my PC and I can improve FPS by cranking up the processor. In fact only when I turn the card speed down do I lose performance so it's not maxxing out.

To answer your question - The GTX 285 will absolutely Rock absolutely and any game. It will be more than enough (perhaps even a waste in some respects as it may not be pushed) for this game alone but is a very very good card.

It will run any game at all and performs well.

Edited by badger77

Yes the 285 is one serious dude. I bought a 4870 to have one of each companies cards, but would rather have a 285.

How loud are those cards, Badger? If they're not too too loud, I can get one or the other.

The GT120 works okay in 1.31 when I switch the rez down to 1280x800. It's not perfect but it's much better than the full 2560x1600 on my 30" display. heh. I do like the 512MB RAM though; it doesn't texture page like Ahwulf suggested on BE and other games.

I will start posting some serious bug reports after I finish my homework tonight.

The 4870 seems loud only when it starts, and when you are zoomed in with binocs with a tree 10 meters away. Otherwise I never hear it.

As I read these posts, I determined the 285 was the right one to get. That's on order; I expect it here Tuesday or Wednesday.

Sweet.

well it's certainly a good card. I use a 260GTX and that runs pretty much anything.

Nice Apple actually have good (Well much better) cards options these days (even if overpriced).

I thought you may have gont with the 4870 but they defintely are louder. If the Mac version of the 285 is anything like the PC version then it will be very quiet. The fans run at about 40% so you can't really hear them.

Edited by badger77

Ya I got the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285 was like $500 in my almost 2 year old intel 2.8Ghz 8 core .... Was really hoping that it would blow me away. not at all. i get the same frame rate & lag i did previous to 1.31 with the new graphics engine, & my old ATI was unusable on 1.3.1 but at least now i can still play the game.... even if i get killed a lot before i can even raise my gun... and yes i got an average internet connection...

Cheers Tom...

Apple's drivers for 10.6.4 Nvidia seem to have a bad rep for performance (Steam). My ATI 4870 which is far less powerful than the 285 gets decent FPS, even in the absolute worst locations is rarely drops below 20 and often hits 60 (i have vsync on) on a MacPro.

Try changing to best performance and play, note the FPS. Then change it to balanced and play and see whats different FPS wise. Then high.

Generally once you have 512MB VRAM the video card makes less and less difference in FPS as you go up the chain. This version has more consistent FPS but doesn't blow you away with gaudy numbers.

There is also some issue that affects a few people on both platforms (see Delems posts) where people don't seem to render right away and you get killed before you know it (this is -not- internet lag, but some kind of odd client behavior). It only happens to a few people and so far defies reproducing.

In any case there is still a ton of optimizations to be done before we really take advantage of something like the 285 without killing the weaker cards.

Just got my first macbook pro, 13" i7 4 gb ram, intel HD3000 onboard, getting a steady 30 fps! very nice!

Just got my first macbook pro' date=' 13" i7 4 gb ram, intel HD3000 onboard, getting a steady 30 fps! very nice![/quote']

I have the one with the I5, 4gb, intel HD3000 and was getting between 1 and 30fps, very jumpy. I just upgraded with 8gb and an OCZ SSD, will post back when I get the game running again

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0