Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
frantish

Pearl Harbor 2010 FEEDBACK

19 posts in this topic

What did you like, what could have been done better?

(Jammyman posted one a few min earlier, go to that one:

http://forums.wwiionline.com/showthread.php?t=306646

Location really nice!

Would like some 109E-4's as Zero stand in's to strafe the ships.

4 H75's and 2 H81 as to represent the the few American fighters that lifted as defense.

Turn off Radar and Text EA Reports.

And of course, the Stuka's need to get in formation and attack faster.

2ed wave went much better.

S!

Edited by frantish

What did you like, what could have been done better?

Location really nice!

Would like some 109E-4's as Zero stand in's to strafe the ships.

4 H75's and 2 H81 as to represent the the few American fighters that lifted as defense.

Turn off Radar and Text EA Reports.

And of course, the Stuka's need to get in formation and attack faster.

2ed wave went much better.

S!

It was really kool, I liked it a lot.

After the 2nd wave I grabbed the H81 and one other did as well. So that was the 2 H81's lol.

Hiryu and Soryu waves arrived on first run together - but i think the others were not in sync arrival wise.

The second one was just a non organisation zerg - but seemed to work well!!!

I didn't like this one as much as last year.

The ships were too spread out so when the planes attacked you would only see the ~10 planes attacking your region. Also every wave should come at the same time. Shouldn't be so hard, make 4 waypoints around Antwerp docks(this was better location) and let the groups circle there until the attack order is given.

Or just put all the planes in 1 wave from 1 direction ... way more effective.

Also every wave should come at the same time. Shouldn't be so hard, make 4 waypoints around Antwerp docks(this was better location) and let the groups circle there until the attack order is given.

This was the first wave plan - apparently some of the groups mucked it up???

Hiryu and Soryu groups arrived together in the north

Or just put all the planes in 1 wave from 1 direction ... way more effective.

This was wave 2

Stukas had a CTD of a ML shortly before turning to attack position (IIRC). Backup Leader overtook lead but the first wave got a bit out of sync.

Shiat happens, wave 2 worked better.

The Text reports only helped tell us that the planes were somewhere close, there is a Lot of maneuvering that can (and did) happen in a 10km radius from a fixed point. It looked like (from the AWS map at least) that planes were going to all Kinds of silly places, and it just took Forever for them to arrive.

Overall it was fun though, including playing alongside some KM guys who'd decided they liked captaining a ship more than they liked playing Axis/Japanese :)

Level bombers (limited number) the 110's..closer grouping of ships...less land AAA....organizational educational email to participants on what to do...(like old Air Warrior Pearl Scenario)...

I think I still have a copy of that if you want to see what they did...

Good fun, I really enjoyed it, althought I almost didn't as I have never used the training server and didn't know how to get on it...(DOH!) I bet there were players who signed up and didn't get in to play cause they got lost finding the training server, I know it sounds stupid, but we are humans....

Polesti would be fun....

Merc88

Merc87

Merc86

Basically the Stuka raids... imo were as big a fail as this

18933_1297844493665_1456973402_812525_3357766_n.jpg

but it was fun at times, but last year was definetly better... I could dig Torp Blens next year or 110's as well as fighters for ppl

.................including playing alongside some KM guys who'd decided they liked captaining a ship more than they liked playing Axis/Japanese :)

While Jammyman insists on showing things as Axis vs Allied or Allied vs Axis this Event is really:

Air vs Naval.

It is not a matter of which side you play on. There were retired Axis CinCs aboard ships with a dedicated Allied player and also retired Allied CinCs aboard ships with a dedicated Axis player.

That should have made for some interesting "whispers" between shipmates.

:)

Ice, Fleet Command

Same for the Stukas Ice - i had Stuka aces flying with DB7 Aces and complete flying greentags - yet no-one criticised (at least in the Soryu group) and we all had a merry chat the entire time!!

What Killed the surprise for me was being limited in Alt. We were told 2.5 They can see us from that alt. It should have been just above 4.5 over the clouds.

It was actually funny, because when the stuka's finally dove all of the ships on the opposite side of the harbor disappeared (max viewable limit) so all I could think was "uh oh"

What Killed the surprise for me was being limited in Alt. We were told 2.5 They can see us from that alt. It should have been just above 4.5 over the clouds.

I opposed the height ceiling restriction on the Stukas, at least until I was told (and just one day before Event launch) by Jammyman that Victory conditions would be based solely on ships sinking with zero penalty for Stuka losses, which I also opposed.

Last year we had a good point system. This year nothing of the kind.

This of course left the Stukas with no fear of death and I expected many Stukas to suicide (and some did) and all Stukas to stick around and strafe until they died.

I think the majority of people, both Stuka and Naval, never even knew the Victory Conditions.

They were:

70% of ships sunk equal Stuka Victory

50% of ships sunk equal Naval Victory.

Don't look at me....this was Jammyman's decision and my suggestions were ignored.

Ice, Fleet Command

True, and there were Heavy Bombers in PH, only like 5 or 6 though.Add em next time if so i call one. :)

HE-11 at 5+k +Stationary DD=Bang Bang

True, and there were Heavy Bombers in PH, only like 5 or 6 though.Add em next time if so i call one. :)

HE-11 at 5+k +Stationary DD=Bang Bang

There was no multi engine bombers, just the single engine from carriers.

There was up to 4 scout aircraft of unknown types, but at most they would have small bombs.

Basically the Stuka raids... imo were as big a fail as this...........

but it was fun at times, but last year was definetly better... I could dig Torp Blens next year or 110's as well as fighters for ppl

There is no doubt that last year was a better Event. Anyone who attended last year and this year will tell you that.

Adding fighters would not work well. It would just mean a bunch of bombers shot down and change the Air vs Naval aspect of the Event.

Adding 110's has the problem of the 20mm cannon that they have which can sink TTs and would have a similar effect as adding fighters.

While I love the idea of Torpedo Planes (TPs) it just doesn't work mechanically. In order to understand why you have to know the ships and just what would happen if they were added.

Here is why:

1. Torps have a range of 8,000m and will kill a ship even if the launching plane is not visible, so long as any enemy plane has a visual on the target ship, which would certainly be the case.

2. Even at the location that was used this year I can see 3 routes to hitting the shipping from a drop range of slightly under 8,000m.

3. Given all the bombers in the area of the ships the TPs would not even have to launch from even the outer range of 8,000m but could close until they had visual with a ship target. And it is highly likely that the ship would never get a visual of the TP to boot because of "max targets".

Everyone always calls for TPs to be in the Event. It is natural point to bring up.

But the fact of the matter is adding TPs is a horrible idea once you realize what effect it would have on the Event.

Every Torpedo Bomber would be a Free Kill on a ship. Even a rookie should be able to do it.

Ice, Fleet Command

Edited by icetwp

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0