• Announcements

• XOOM

Volunteer PHP Developer wanted to revive the Gazette!   07/24/2019

We're looking to properly revive the World@War Gazette and need a solid PHP developer to help take some work forward. If you have some skills with PHP and are looking for some experience and to bring important home page news / recognition for individual players back to WWII Online, I'd like to hear from you! Submit an inquiry to jobs@corneredrats.com with some details about your experience. You will need at least 10+ hours per week to contribute to the team. The Gazette's current status can be found here: https://www.wwiionline.com/resources#gazette
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AHWULF

Buy A New Mac Suggestions on 131

59 posts in this topic

For 1.31, if you buy a new Mac, get one with a 512MB+ video card like the 4850, 4870, 285, 8800 (for older Mac Pros). GT120 is a little slug but with 512MB it does work.

Like http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MB953LL/A?mco=MTM3NDc2NjA

You might be able to play on a lesser video card or CPU by reducing resolutions or features, but anything less than 512MB VRAM will result in non-ideal performance. Make sure you try what you have now on the next (open) beta, not the current one (b18). There have been several optimizations you don't have in b18.

PC specs are similar although they have more video card options obviously and most PCs have slots for video you can upgrade.

2MB is the stated minimum but I think 3GB is needed to avoid really squeezing it in (my current beta version is around 1.9 GB).

ALso note that the bigger the resolution (ie display) the more the video card will get pushed, that's why with 24-30 inch displays at native resolution better have a good video card or you will have to reduce resolution to avoid having fillrate issues.

Of course don't buy a mac just for the game, and don't think you have to either until you can measure for yourself. But keep these things in mind for the best results.

Can you tell me the best Video Card options for older mac pros?

Mac Pro

2.66 Dual

1.33 Bus

2 Gig Ram (I know I need at least 4 for this game)

Snow Leopard

Current Card NVidia GT 7300

Also, I know you said the GT 120 "Works" do you know of a upgrade for an older MacPro that works GREAT?

I was looking into imacs. The top imac with a 27" screen only has an ATI 4850. If I upgrade to i7 quad(instead of i5) and 8 gig of ram(instead of 4) it's a $2400 total. I worry about the graphics card but i think it should handle ww2 well, no?

I love the thought of not having to deal with a tower

I was looking into imacs. The top imac with a 27" screen only has an ATI 4850. If I upgrade to i7 quad(instead of i5) and 8 gig of ram(instead of 4) it's a $2400 total. I worry about the graphics card but i think it should handle ww2 well, no?

I love the thought of not having to deal with a tower

I have the 27" iMac w/ the i5, 8gb of mem and ATI 4850.. Runs 1.30 great and working ok with 1.31 at the moment... Obviously still in beta. First OL beta I played was very choppy and laggy.. The second OL beta I did, it ran smooth despite the glitches with the server itself..

4870 works in a 1,1 Mac Pro, that's what I have.

Google for compatibility, even though it isn't "official", no one has had a problem with it.

wwiiolsig.jpg

How is the new 21.5" iMac w/the 4670 video, it has 256 mb.

I'd get the 4850 w/512mb but I don't really want 27" monitor and it cost quite a bit more.

Or, are there any recent older iMac's with video cards that have 512 mb?

Ok, but that doesn't really answer my question, is the 21.5" 4670 system good enough for 1.31 or underpowered? (not good enough like just able to play, but good enough to play well)

Hard to say without using one. The only negative is the 256MB VRAM. It will work but not perfectly - 512MB video is preferable as we use a lot of video memory. The rest of the specs are fine (CPU,4GB RAM, video performance).

BTW I am trying to understand how we use so much vram, but the tool I need (gDebugger) chokes on the client, and the developers of that are still puzzling it out.

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac10,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 3.06 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 3 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

Boot ROM Version: IM101.00CC.B00

Graphic card: NVIDIA GeForce 9400

is this system good with 1.31 when it comes out?

Edited by victor242

Graphic card: NVIDIA GeForce 9400

is this system good with 1.31 when it comes out?

The 9400 is pretty lame. How much video ram does it have?

The rest of the system is fine.

It will work but its below the minimum. Having slow fillrate + less than 512MB means performance is going to be wimpy. If you try the beta atm go to a small town offline and see what its like. Right now we still have issues in the beta online where testing performance isn't quite what release will be like (namely big towns and lots of infantry suck). Try Givet for example.

Ahwulf ok im really really really dumb when it comes to computers so you tell me what i can do

I have an early gen. Imac and and Early Gen Mac Book Pro 15" with intel duo I really need help here can you help me out

Neither one will play 1.31.

The current 27inch iMac is perfect. The smaller current iMacs are perfect except for the video cards, which may or may not work sufficiently to play. Mac Pro's are perfect, although the GT-120 might be a tad sluggish, best to upgrade the video card to 4870.

Ideal hardware to have is Core 2 Duo or better, 3GB+ RAM, video card with 512MB Video Ram. A video card with 256MB Video Ram may work but not perfectly. Anything less than this is probably too slow to be much fun.

If you can't afford a new Mac, then look to a PC, you can get fairly decent Win7 game playing PC's for much less than a Mac. I bought one for $750. Of course they suck being windows but if you have no other choice... I only use the PC to work on the PC version of the game otherwise I stick to Mac :-)

Being thats the case dont you think not everyone can afford a new comp for this 1.31 i mean isent CRS worried that they will lose a lot of players because of this?

Not really but there will be some. The problem is that the competition (in the game world) keeps ramping up the features and CRS has to keep up somehow or people will quit if things aren't improved. Sadly in the game world you can't keep supporting older computers and video cards or you wind up out of business.

The problem on the Mac side is the lame video cards Apple kept putting into iMacs (which you can't upgrade). At least most of the PC people can stretch a slower CPU with a better video card (up to a point). Here we are at the mercy of Apple. Now finally with the 4850 they are starting to use a better generation of cards but still the iMac is non-upgradable without starting over. So there's a premium up front and a premium later on when you want something better. One reason I've only bought tower Macs so at least I can upgrade a little.

The current iMacs are way fast but still saddled with 4 year old video (other than the 27). The good news is that I expect a new generation soon so hopefully then the whole line will come with 4850's.

There is still one more step we have to take in the future and that's opengl 3.x, which Apple _still_ hasn't supported and its a couple years old already. Even Apple can't keep up...

I have this set up and I use an external 25,5" Samsung monitor with a resolution of 1920x1200 and the game at the moment works fairly well in full resolution and both displays on. I wonder how much the performance would improve if I'd disable the display on macbook and use only the external monitor. Anyways I hope this set up is enough to play the game for awhile until I buy a PC which I'm planning to use only on 3D-modeling, rendering and of course playing this game. Otherwise I'll stick to Macs.

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz

Memory:4 GB

NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT:

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz

Memory:4 GB

NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT:

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

4fps 1.31 Beta (most recent version)

I get like 20fps in 1.30.

The scariest thing is my machine has heat of 82 (CPU) celcius while playing.

4fps 1.31 Beta (most recent version)

Where did you get 4fps? In a town with lots of infantry we still have some crappy code to fix, even my MP/4870 got high single digits in places, then back to 30's.

Your safest bet for reporting static FPS for now is to spawn in Givet offline and face north.

The slowest bits still to be fixed are:

(1) bigass town unsortbsp() - I am working on this today, this causes stutters bigtime and is the single worst piece of code I've ever seen (dates back to 1999).

(2) infantry battle physics loop - RAMP is hoping to work on this early in the week

(3) normal/specular shader settings in bigass towns

(4) tree culling

oddly enough ALL of these four issues are CPU side and the video card doesn't matter.

(5) Poor Apple opengl optimization of certain vertex operations - probably can't be avoided until 1.32, but if we fix the above it should be OK. This affects drawing of infantry and movable bits on vehicles. This is actually a combo of CPU side and GPU.

The reason I say any 512MB video card should be at least playable is that we really stress the CPU side much more, and you can't tell the video card is slow until we fix this stuff.

The one thing you will really see the video card suck at even now is trees in binocs, which is all GPU slowness. That's where a good video card will shine for sure. Even that can be worked around if we are clever.

Where did you get 4fps? In a town with lots of infantry we still have some crappy code to fix, even my MP/4870 got high single digits in places, then back to 30's.

Your safest bet for reporting static FPS for now is to spawn in Givet offline and face north.

The slowest bits still to be fixed are:

(1) bigass town unsortbsp() - I am working on this today, this causes stutters bigtime and is the single worst piece of code I've ever seen (dates back to 1999).

(2) infantry battle physics loop - RAMP is hoping to work on this early in the week

(3) normal/specular shader settings in bigass towns

(4) tree culling

oddly enough ALL of these four issues are CPU side and the video card doesn't matter.

(5) Poor Apple opengl optimization of certain vertex operations - probably can't be avoided until 1.32, but if we fix the above it should be OK. This affects drawing of infantry and movable bits on vehicles. This is actually a combo of CPU side and GPU.

The reason I say any 512MB video card should be at least playable is that we really stress the CPU side much more, and you can't tell the video card is slow until we fix this stuff.

The one thing you will really see the video card suck at even now is trees in binocs, which is all GPU slowness. That's where a good video card will shine for sure. Even that can be worked around if we are clever.

Ahwulf does this apply to pc as well? Do I understand it correctly that the ATI crap big town performance and nVidia zoomed view performance are being worked on?

The CPU side issues exist on either platform.

Video performance problems (if in fact they are and not CPU) differ a lot based on the drivers on PC. Apple writes the drivers themselves according to what they think is important. Mostly you get them via OS update. On PC there are so many variations you have to find something that works for your computer. There are some issues that one can code to work around problems in drivers/cards but its tough because the landscape is so broad. For Apple there are only a few cards and drivers so one can understand where the crap is. Its the tradeoff for having cheaper options and more driver choices vs fewer options that work consistently (although at time crappily).

It will work but its below the minimum. Having slow fillrate + less than 512MB means performance is going to be wimpy. If you try the beta atm go to a small town offline and see what its like. Right now we still have issues in the beta online where testing performance isn't quite what release will be like (namely big towns and lots of infantry suck). Try Givet for example.

went in and try beta.... omfg its lagging, i get 3 FPS lol what kind of graphic card do i get so i can start saving.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0