Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AHWULF

Buy A New Mac Suggestions on 131

59 posts in this topic

What kind of mac and video card do you have now?

Remember the beta is not ready for realizing what your release time FPS will be like.

If you have an iMac you can't upgrade the card. If you can afford it the 27in imac which has a 4850 you will be great. Any video card with 512MB should be OK. 256MB vid cards like the imacs with the 4670 *might* be OK but only the final release version will prove if its good enough. Other than tree drawing problems (which many nvidia cards have at the moment) most of our issues are CPU related as long as you have a 512MB video card.

For mac pros the best is 4870 or 285 or even the 8800 (in early mac pros).

Hi there again,

Ok, I really need to somehow figure this out.....

it's either $1400

WITH THIS

iMac 21.5-inch 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

21.5-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display

4GB memory

1TB hard drive

8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

ATI Radeon HD 4670 graphics with 256MB memory

OR THIS

iMac 24-inch 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

24-inch glossy widescreen display

4GB memory

1TB hard drive

NVIDIA GeForce GT 130 with 512MB memory

or its $1850 with

iMac 27-inch 2.66GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5

27-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display

4GB memory

1TB hard drive

ATI Radeon HD 4850 graphics with 512MB memory

Please advise, thanks, delems

(my current hard drive is 'failing' per smart utility!

Well you might not be surprised at the reply.

It the $1800 one.

Why - CPU is good but mainly because the graphics card 512MB and better card than the other two. If your blowing the cash upgrade the processor from I5 to I7 :)

Those I range imacs really rock. Just bought one for a customer with I7, 2TB drive and 8GB ram to run Final Cut Pro on as they are as good or better than the entry level MacPro's in many tests.

I think you'll really regret getting a GT130 or 4670 especially with the 256MB memory. Of the two the GT130 has 512MB but I think it has 24GB throughput and looks to match up with a 9600GT which is pretty poor.

Edited by badger77

Oh and backup your data RIGHT NOW if it's failing. (just get a sata and enclosure or dock if you don't have spare HD)

Also what mac do you have currently. Once you get the new one you can pop a new drive in it and sell it to get cash back against the new one. The drive you buy to backup can then go in old one :)

If your not sure how to change drive on any mac just PM me and I'll give you best advice and info what to do with it.

$1850 with

4GB memory

1TB hard drive

4850 is very nice card, how do you get this iMac so cheap? That's the perfect iMac for the game (and lots of other stuff too).

Well, went with the stock system:

4GB memory

1TB hard drive

$1699

Would have spent the 400 or so for more memory

and faster processor, but already spent that moving

up from the 21.5" model. (at $1299)

I found this on Apple's web site under the refurb

models... you can often find good deals there!

I was tryin to play in the beta and it was super slow. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about my system requirements and any suggestion.

I have a Mac Book

2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

NVidia 9400 Graphics Card

If you've been waiting for the new Mac Pro upgrades (like me) to see what the new video card offerings will be, there's lots of rumors flying around that Apple will announce updated Mac Pro's at the WWDC June 7th.

I've been waiting to upgrade the stock GT120 and hopefully Apple will include something better than the 4870 with at least 1gig memory. The 285 was a big step in the right direction but a bit pricey.

With the latest betas even 256s are playing OK. 1 GB is overkill. My 4870 works dandy.

285 is a beast. However, the game really won't tax it at all, it's a little expensive.

This Processor 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Or This one 2.66GHz Intel Core i5

Which one of these two will perform Most Ideal for This Game. Or will I get similar performance?

4GB memory

1TB hard drive1 8x double-layer SuperDrive

ATI Radeon HD 4850 graphics with 512MB

27"

I would go i5, its "slower" but delivers more bang for the mhz. The rest is good. Are these both iMacs?

I will be a convert soon as well. Saving my pennies for the right imac. Expect many questions at that time.

You have been warned. :D

Yes they are both Imacs. It is a waranty exchange. Apple no longer carries my 24" that went out. They placed the order for the duo Core Not the Quad Core. Hope that this is a good setup. My 24" Imac with a 512 geforce card ran the game sweet. But unfortunately I fried the motherboard. Now am getting upgraded to the 27"

Yeah its still good, the i5 is slightly better but it won't really affect FPS much. THe 4850 should be quite good.

Just wait till after June 7th to be sure. Thats when several new product announcements will be made.

Can't hurt to wait, but I think the new updates will not be iMacs. Still, the price might go down :-)

Welcome to the club Metatron. :)

I too waiting to buy a new iMac to show up on Monday. But as Ahwulf said, it might be other Macs that we will see. In that case do I have an open mind…

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0