Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AHWULF

Buy A New Mac Suggestions on 131

59 posts in this topic

You'll likely see a new mac mini. New iMacs are unlikely. June announcements are all about the iPhone now.

So, just FYI, I have just received my brand new Mac Book Pro.

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro6,1

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 4 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s

Boot ROM Version: MBP61.0057.B0A

With the Intel HD and GeForce GT330M. Straight out spawn in I get 25 to 45 FPS. Of course, now it's intermission so I can't find a big battle. Are the benchmarking commands the same for Mac as PC?

Yes, not sure if they are in release versions though. The 330 is more than adequate but its not a 4870 exactly. Still you should be good to play. Note the absolute FPS doesn't top out at ridiculous values but the average is much more consistent. I turn everything on on my 4870 but experiment to see if anything affects FPS.

Excellent. I was more than moderately surprised at how good it looked and how smooth it ran, no worse than my war-wagon PC (Dual-Core 6600, 6 GB RAM and 8800GTX) which slows to 20 or so in big fights with minor stutters.

It equally was pleasant seeing it on the 17 inch screen, however a little odd as I'm used to output on my 47" TV. I will have to try the mini-display port out to see how that goes :)

I see MacRumors says most likely nothing until end of summer for the new Mac Pro. That's the one I'm waiting for, the new Mac Book Pro is actually for my wife... I'll call it "the backup gaming device" :D

Associated link: http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Mac_Pro

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0