Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ghost

upgrade advice..

27 posts in this topic

current pc config..

cpu: amd athalon 64x2 @ 2.7ghz

mobo: XFX GeForce 8200 AMD SOCKET 940 DDR2

ram: 2gig ddr2 667 (512mb dedicated to onboard video)

video: onboard integrated geforce 8200

psu: bfg550w 2x 12v rails @ 18amps each

hd: maxtor 250gig sata2

current in game frame rates with minimal settings: 2-50 @ 1280x1024 (still usin a 17"crt lol)

wanting to upgrade to this...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4683600&sku=B52-0262

what kind of frame rates should i expect with this upgrade?

would my $220 usd be better spent on something else?

Edited by gostrydr

That's a sweet card. I almost wish I had gotten one of those instead of the 5770, but I wanted DX11 support for the future and I plan on going crossfire with two of these in a few months.

Personally, get it from Newegg. Tigerdirect has had iffy customer service in the past and they like have to much email spam.

Also, I noticed that with the 5770 the game doesn't really stress it much compared to other games. The activity meter barely gets to halfway, while GTAIV or Alone in the Dark will almost max it out. Yet, FPS isn't lightyears better, so I am assuming that the CPU and Ram is more of a bottleneck (I only have 2GB right now) than the GPU itself.

Just about any card will help you over the integrated graphics.

Edited by dorokjee

this is the cheapest price i could find for this card, and i've never had any problems with tiger, other that the email spam lol...

i'm not sure i'd want to go to the <260 cards because in the reviews i've read, they say they are just repackaged 9800's

i want to stick with nvidia because i can run in hybrid sli with my onboard video..

a mobo/cpu/ram upgrade i would have to do piece by piece and still need a video card...but that will have to wait for me to get some more disposable income ;)

i might buy another 1gig stick of ram to go with it since i just found 1 for $19

Edited by gostrydr

you mobo can take a phenom x3 8750 lack edition. they're like 75 bucks. its an unlocked cpu so pushing it to ~3ghz should be fairly simple.

then add 4gb of ram whenever you can afford it and that system should get you a few more years of play.

current pc config..

cpu: amd athalon 64x2 @ 2.7ghz

mobo: XFX GeForce 8200 AMD SOCKET 940 DDR2

ram: 2gig ddr2 667 (512mb dedicated to onboard video)

video: onboard integrated geforce 8200

psu: bfg550w 2x 12v rails @ 18amps each

hd: maxtor 250gig sata2

current in game frame rates with minimal settings: 2-50 @ 1280x1024 (still usin a 17"crt lol)

wanting to upgrade to this...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4683600&sku=B52-0262

what kind of frame rates should i expect with this upgrade?

would my $220 usd be better spent on something else?

Is this your board?

http://www.motherboards.org/reviews/motherboards/1799_2.html

check this out (all these will work on your board)

AMD Phenom X3 8750 Black Edition Toliman 2.4GHz 95W Triple-Core Processor 75.99

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 94.99

BFG Tech GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB 79.99

*RECERTIFIED*

If you got those exact parts right there you would expect to see 70-150fps

assuming you overclocked that triple core to 3.0Ghz or above. (they can hit about 3.5~3.6Ghz)

Edited by indo420

Is this your board?

http://www.motherboards.org/reviews/motherboards/1799_2.html

check this out (all these will work on your board)

AMD Phenom X3 8750 Black Edition Toliman 2.4GHz 95W Triple-Core Processor 75.99

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 94.99

BFG Tech GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB 79.99

*RECERTIFIED*

If you got those exact parts right there you would expect to see 70-150fps

assuming you overclocked that triple core to 3.0Ghz or above. (they can hit about 3.5~3.6Ghz)

yes thats my board .. :)

whenever i upgrade my cpu/ram, ( hopefully in the near future) i want to go with a core i7 intel, or one of the new amd quad cores.. i know that means a new mobo, and the new amd mobo's dont offer much for nvidia chipsets..and as a nvidia fanboi, i would follow the crowd and go intel..and OC the shyt outta it with that new corsair liquid cooling kit :D

would upgrading the cpu/ram make a bigger impact with my current setup without buying that 260? if so, i may just do that for now, and get the video card later on..

i have ~$220 to spend and i want the biggest bang for my buck..

mainly i want a card i can hold onto for a long time without having to upgrade it, and my thinking is..

the 260 and on up are nvidia's new line of gpu's, so they are gonna keep makin it for a while, and i can go SLI in the future if i need to, where as the 8800/9800/250's are a dying breed..

i want to play codmw2 (currently 5-20 fps on low settings), and crysis on med/high settings(currently unplayable on low) , and BE at 50-150fps if at all possible...

Edited by gostrydr

Right now, getting away from integrated graphics would be a huge jump for you.

Next, get that extra ram since it won't cost you so much. And look for deals on CPU's, even a fifty buck upgrade might keep you going until you can go Intel.

yes thats my board .. :)

whenever i upgrade my cpu/ram, ( hopefully in the near future) i want to go with a core i7 intel, or one of the new amd quad cores.. i know that means a new mobo, and the new amd mobo's dont offer much for nvidia chipsets..and as a nvidia fanboi, i would follow the crowd and go intel..and OC the shyt outta it with that new corsair liquid cooling kit :D

would upgrading the cpu/ram make a bigger impact with my current setup without buying that 260? if so, i may just do that for now, and get the video card later on..

i have ~$220 to spend and i want the biggest bang for my buck..

mainly i want a card i can hold onto for a long time without having to upgrade it, and my thinking is..

the 260 and on up are nvidia's new line of gpu's, so they are gonna keep makin it for a while, and i can go SLI in the future if i need to, where as the 8800/9800/250's are a dying breed..

i want to play codmw2 (currently 5-20 fps on low settings), and crysis on med/high settings(currently unplayable on low) , and BE at 50-150fps if at all possible...

Yea i'd shoot for the video card, but that processor will bottleneck the living hell out of it.

but if it was that cpu,ram and intergrated graphics Vs, ur cpu/ram and a GTX260 i'd do that.

or that 8800GTS and that processor, but keep your ram u have now.

i ended up getting these:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3738445&sku=E145-9802

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3803377&CatId=3413

total: $249.98

i went a lil over my budget, so i have to work some extra OT this week..

i'm gonna get the triple core, and a 24" flatscreen next month..

i'll let ya know how much of an improvement this makes..

thanks for the advice..

i hate UPS.. $24 for second day delivery, and i aint payin that much so i gotta wait 3 days for it :/

Edited by gostrydr

i ended up getting these:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3738445&sku=E145-9802

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3803377&CatId=3413

total: $249.98

i went a lil over my budget, so i have to work some extra OT this week..

i'm gonna get the triple core, and a 24" flatscreen next month..

i'll let ya know how much of an improvement this makes..

thanks for the advice..

i hate UPS.. $24 for second day delivery, and i aint payin that much so i gotta wait 3 days for it :/

No problem

it ought to haul a#@ with them new parts in there.

ridiculous a@# haulin'

That's a sweet card. I almost wish I had gotten one of those instead of the 5770, but I wanted DX11 support for the future and I plan on going crossfire with two of these in a few months.

Personally, get it from Newegg. Tigerdirect has had iffy customer service in the past and they like have to much email spam.

Also, I noticed that with the 5770 the game doesn't really stress it much compared to other games. The activity meter barely gets to halfway, while GTAIV or Alone in the Dark will almost max it out. Yet, FPS isn't lightyears better, so I am assuming that the CPU and Ram is more of a bottleneck (I only have 2GB right now) than the GPU itself.

Just about any card will help you over the integrated graphics.

Is it the 1gb 5770 ? Im thinking of getting one of those... i have 4gb ram AMD athlon II processor dual core @ 3.0 hoping a GFX card with 1gb ram will boost my FPS. I've only heard great things about the 5770 and nvidia 250 1 gb versions.

Ya, it's 1GB. It's pretty nice. With driver maturation, the performance should only improve. The reviews I've seen show that the Nvidia 260 is faster in many games but the 5770 has DX11 support and can be found for a bit cheaper, so it's still a good value.

In terms of performance, it seems like this game doesn't really tax the card at all, so the bottleneck in performance lies elsewhere in the hardware. The ATI meter barely ever gets past 50% load during heavy game play.

My setup is a Gigabyte am3 with a Phenom II X4 805 2.55ghz, 2GB DDR3 corsair ram, XP 32 bit, 22" Viewsonic, Audigy 2 ZS sound card.

The card is considered to be lower powered than the Nvidia cards, but still needs a second rail. I blew my old PSU thinking I could get away with it. Got a brand new Antec 650 Earthwatts now. Runs great.

I'm probably going to get more RAM and perhaps windows upgrade at some point to see if I can get more FPS. I also want to switch to Intel in a few months, as they seem to be the performance leader right now.

Edited by dorokjee

No problem

it ought to haul a#@ with them new parts in there.

ridiculous a@# haulin'

i hope so..

that card, according to tom's benches higher than some 260's..

i hope so..

that card, according to tom's benches higher than some 260's..

well that card has 128 cores, Vs the 260's 216 cores. And the clock speed is higher.

Maybe at low resolutions i'd guess because of the amount of ram each card has.

but who buys a GTX260 to run it at 1024x768 low/medium settings.

my package just arrived :D

i'll post details and pics once i get it installed :D

i feel like a high school kid thats about to get to 3rd base lol

my package just arrived :D

i'll post details and pics once i get it installed :D

i feel like a high school kid thats about to get to 3rd base lol

hahah i always think of it as "when is the brown santa going to drop off my presents from the east pole"

well, i can play every game i have maxed out except crysis..

codmw : 50-100+fps maxed

s.t.a.l.k.e.r. : 30-75fps maxed

ww2ol : 30-150fps maxed

crysis : 20-35fps med/high settings 4xaa 4xaf

i used 3dmark06 before and after the upgrade..

went from 1483 to 13,226 :o

best $250 i've spent in years, and i'm gonna spend the extra 75 on that processor next month now that i know what this system is capable of..

i only got pics on my cell phone cuz my camera is in the truck, and my gf took it to work :/

trying to figure out how to bluetooth to her laptop...

oh and tiger lied about the clock speed... it's runnin @ 752 right now and i havnt messed with it yet :o

Edited by gostrydr

well, i can play every game i have maxed out except crysis..

codmw : 50-100+fps maxed

s.t.a.l.k.e.r. : 30-75fps maxed

ww2ol : 30-150fps maxed

crysis : 20-35fps med/high settings 4xaa 4xaf

i used 3dmark06 before and after the upgrade..

best $250 i've spent in years, and i'm gonna spend the extra 75 on that processor next month now that i know what this system is capable of..

i only got pics on my cell phone cuz my camera is in the truck, and my gf took it to work :/

trying to figure out how to bluetooth to her laptop...

oh and tiger lied about the clock speed... it's runnin @ 752 right now and i havnt messed with it yet :o

lol told you it'd haul ***. :P

new processor will bring up your bottom end of the fps for sure.

could be your mainboard bios settings making the clock speed off.

15d4evp.png

Ol' 8800GTS is keepin' up with you :P

I'm curious to see what your SM 2.0 and 3.0 and ur CPU score.

Cause i used to get 1,123 points with my X2 6000+

but were still almost exactly the same, but something tells me your graphics scores are way higher and your processor score is lower.

but my graphics are lower then yours but my processors score is higher.

if your already getting 13k off that system, i bet you pass 14-15K with a new processor.

These X4 955 Black editions are a Sweet deal @ about 169.99$

Comparatively speaking they are about as fast as the i7-920's on the tomshardware charts

Edited by indo420

15d4evp.png

Ol' 8800GTS is keepin' up with you :P

I'm curious to see what your SM 2.0 and 3.0 and ur CPU score.

Cause i used to get 1,123 points with my X2 6000+

but were still almost exactly the same, but something tells me your graphics scores are way higher and your processor score is lower.

but my graphics are lower then yours but my processors score is higher.

if your already getting 13k off that system, i bet you pass 14-15K with a new processor.

These X4 955 Black editions are a Sweet deal @ about 169.99$

Comparatively speaking they are about as fast as the i7-920's on the tomshardware charts

The 8800 is a better card than the 9800 series.

it's a Evga Super Super Clock (now called FTW) edition to :P

112SPU's the only 8800GTS that had them at the time, kicked the 8800GT's *** across the board at 1920x1200 resolutions so i got it.

But his is a 9800GTX+ with 128SPU (and i forgot the ram but i guess its 512MB)

So it should be kicking mines butt across the board on benchmarks on the GPU end.

But i think my cpu just might be a little bit more gangster then his. :P

sorta funny that two random people with totally different parts benchmarked within 10 points of each other.

Edited by indo420

from http://techreport.com/articles.x/16504

The history of Nvidia's G92 graphics processor is a long one, as these things go. The first graphics card based on it was the GeForce 8800 GT, which debuted in October of 2007. The 8800 GT was a stripped-down version of the G92 with a few bits and pieces disabled. The fuller implementation of G92 came in December '07 in the form of the GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB. This card initiated the G92's long history of brand confusion by overlapping with existing 320MB and 640MB versions of the GeForce 8800 GTS, which were based on an entirely different chip, the much larger (and older) G80. Those cards had arrived on the scene way back in November of 2006.

As the winter of '07 began to fade into spring, Nvidia had a change of heart and suddenly started renaming the later members of the GeForce 8 series as "new" 9-series cards. Thus the GeForce 8800 GTS 512 became the 9800 GTX. And thus things remained for nearly ten weeks.

Then, in response to the introduction of strong new competition, Nvidia shipped a new version of the G92 GPU with the same basic architecture but manufactured on a smaller 55nm fabrication process. This chip found its way to market aboard a slightly revised graphics card dubbed the GeForce 9800 GTX+. The base clock speeds on the GTX+ matched those of some "overclocked in the box" GeForce 9800 GTX cards, and the performance of the two was essentially identical, though the GTX+ did reduce power consumption by a handful of watts. Slowly, the GTX+ began replacing the 9800 GTX in the market, as the buying public scratched its collective head over the significance of that plus symbol.

EVGA's GeForce GTS 250 Superclocked

Which brings us to today and the introduction of yet another graphics card based on the G92 GPU, the GeForce GTS 250. This is probably the card that, by all rights, the 9800 GTX+ should have been, because it consolidates the gains that switching to a 55nm fab process can bring. Although its base clock speeds remain the same as the 9800 GTX+—738MHz for most of the GPU, 1836MHz for the shaders, and 1100MHz (or 2200 MT/s) for the GDDR3 memory—the GeForce GTS 250 is a physically smaller card, at nine inches long rather than 10.5", and it has but a single six-pin auxiliary power connector onboard.

better eh?

i'll run 3dmark in the morning and post what it gives me indo..

i'm usin the free trial version so it dont tell me much..

Edited by gostrydr

oh yea the 9800GTX+ is way better then my 8800SSC, but they both compete in the same class of cards.

Gotta remember my card is basicly a 9800GTX non + edition before they released the 9800GTX.

Same board, same amount of SPU's same frequency, mine just hides behind a 8800GTS cooler.

But your + at the end of your GTX signifys you have 128SPU over the non + 112SPU

if your scoring almost exactly the same as me, man you must be having fun on games, cause i sure as hell have been.

I'd still get that triple core, or a new board and Quad core later down the road though man.

See you in game ghostryder :)

oh yea the 9800GTX+ is way better then my 8800SSC, but they both compete in the same class of cards.

Gotta remember my card is basicly a 9800GTX non + edition before they released the 9800GTX.

Same board, same amount of SPU's same frequency, mine just hides behind a 8800GTS cooler.

But your + at the end of your GTX signifys you have 128SPU over the non + 112SPU

if your scoring almost exactly the same as me, man you must be having fun on games, cause i sure as hell have been.

I'd still get that triple core, or a new board and Quad core later down the road though man.

See you in game ghostryder :)

i'm sure we'll see eachother..

i'm back playin axis now..

if i get u in my sights i'll make it quick ;)

i'm sure we'll see eachother..

i'm back playin axis now..

if i get u in my sights i'll make it quick ;)

I hope you do despawn quick after i headshot you from 700m from inside a bush that matches the color of the frenchies :P

i switched up my memory timings and posted this score.

2rwb0nt.png

13357 i think is about the tip of what i can do. maybe 13360 if i shut everything off running in the background.

[edit] ghost i forgot to tell you that the new(est) phenom II's can support DDR2 or DDR3 memory.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010340343%201050746347&name=Phenom%20II%20X4

BGM is the DDR2 only version (159.99) and the BGI is the DDR2/DDR3 (160.99)

version.

if you did end up buying a PIIx4, You'd probably see a good 15-16k in 3dmark 2006. (but im not sure since you didn't post ur sm2.0/sm.3.0/CPU scores)

Only thing that would concern me with a X3 is the lack of onboard cache, most of the X3's have 3MB while the X4 PII's have 8MB on board cache. and cache is important :P

Edited by indo420

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0