Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tharik

Annoying FPS problem.

9 posts in this topic

OK here's what I got:

AMD 64 X2 Dual-core 4600+ 2.4Ghz

More RAM than Windows XP can handle. (4gigs DDR2 800mhz)

Foxconn Nforce 590 SLI MoBo

Nvidia GTX 275

Offline I get like sometimes 40+ FPS at the highest resolutions.

However, in game, anytime I look toward a lot of action I sometimes drop to 5 FPS!

What is going on? My computer should be able to more than handle this. Anyone have any ideas?

EDIT:

Just to be more clear, the problem only seems to occur when there is a a bunch of players in the direction I am looking. If I look away from the action, the FPS jumps back up. It's very strange.

Edited by tharik
More info

OK here's what I got:

AMD 64 X2 Dual-core 4600+ 2.4Ghz

More RAM than Windows XP can handle. (4gigs DDR2 800mhz)

Foxconn Nforce 590 SLI MoBo

Nvidia GTX 275

Offline I get like sometimes 40+ FPS at the highest resolutions.

However, in game, anytime I look toward a lot of action I sometimes drop to 5 FPS!

What is going on? My computer should be able to more than handle this. Anyone have any ideas?

EDIT:

Just to be more clear, the problem only seems to occur when there is a a bunch of players in the direction I am looking. If I look away from the action, the FPS jumps back up. It's very strange.

That would be your X2 4600+ ****ting a brick when it attempts to draw everything going on in the direction your looking.

but when you look away, nothing to process, so you dont lag.

Consider a really really really fast Triple core, or a Quad core thats still fast. 3.4Ghz or faster.(if you want to clear up the bottleneck with ur GTX275)

oh and probably some DDR2-1066/1200 or DDR3 1333/1600

I get 60-80fps in the heaviest of battles.

X4 955 Phenom II Black edition @ 3.6ghz

4096MB DDR3-1600

8800GTS SSC

ww2 has little to do with graphics processing power, and everything to do with processor speed and memory latency. which is the exact opposite of your system.

Edited by indo420

I was afraid that was the problem. In the meantime is there any way to clear this up with any settings?

Thank you.

I was afraid that was the problem. In the meantime is there any way to clear this up with any settings?

Thank you.

visual limit to low or medium should help.

visual limit to low or medium should help.

Yea thats about it since you've got a extremely good video card, none of the GFX settings would make a difference.

if you have intergrated (onboard) sound, you can set it to 16 sounds instead of 32/64 or whatever, and that will help clear up some processing cycles.

disabling your on-board video (if you have it, and if you can) can also increase performance on some machines.

but upgrading that processor to a quad will no bs, net you 100+fps on average.

Edited by indo420

Yea thats about it since you've got a extremely good video card, none of the GFX settings would make a difference.

if you have intergrated (onboard) sound, you can set it to 16 sounds instead of 32/64 or whatever, and that will help clear up some processing cycles.

disabling your on-board video (if you have it, and if you can) can also increase performance on some machines.

but upgrading that processor to a quad will no bs, net you 100+fps on average.

OK, that said, would a quad-core AM2 or AM2+ do it? Sadly, I don't have the cash to go all out and get an AM3 MoBo with DDR3 RAM.

I'll bet I could pick up a quad core AM2 on ebay for under $75.

EDIT: OK, sorry I wasted your guys' time. I neglected to mention that I have a second video card (a 7600GT, from an old system that died) which runs a TV and a second monitor. In addition to this, the 275 also has another TV running off it. I was just too stubborn to admit to myself that this MIGHT have something to do with it. Anyhow, I disabled the 7600GT, and I am getting no less than 30 FPS now. It's going to be a pain to have to disable and re-enable the 7600GT when I want to play BE, but that's ok. Anyhow, so would a new CPU still solve this problem and allow me to have both cards running at the same time? Or, is it some other problem, like the MoBo's northbridge or something?

Edited by tharik
Update

OK, that said, would a quad-core AM2 or AM2+ do it? Sadly, I don't have the cash to go all out and get an AM3 MoBo with DDR3 RAM.

I'll bet I could pick up a quad core AM2 on ebay for under $75.

EDIT: OK, sorry I wasted your guys' time. I neglected to mention that I have a second video card (a 7600GT, from an old system that died) which runs a TV and a second monitor. In addition to this, the 275 also has another TV running off it. I was just too stubborn to admit to myself that this MIGHT have something to do with it. Anyhow, I disabled the 7600GT, and I am getting no less than 30 FPS now. It's going to be a pain to have to disable and re-enable the 7600GT when I want to play BE, but that's ok. Anyhow, so would a new CPU still solve this problem and allow me to have both cards running at the same time? Or, is it some other problem, like the MoBo's northbridge or something?

You'd would need a SLi board

something tells me when you enable your 7600GT it cuts your PCi-e pipelane from 16x down to 4x or 2x

if you had a 16x 16x Sli board and a quad core.

you could play BE, watch TV and probably also in tadem watch p0rn and surf ebay and still pull 100fps.

but to answer your Q about socket Am2

yea Am2/AM2+ Quads are great, be be aware the vast majority of Phenom I's have a faulty forth core (X3's are X4's that have a faulted, disabled forth core) thats why the phenom II's came out so fast. so watch out for those.

If your short on cash (know how that goes)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103295

These Triple core Black edition 8750's are a sweet spot.

You can get those puppies upto 3.0~3.4Ghz No problem at all, Just change the multiplier value in the bios and you've got yourself a spankin' *** processor.

You'd would need a SLi board

something tells me when you enable your 7600GT it cuts your PCi-e pipelane from 16x down to 4x or 2x

if you had a 16x 16x Sli board and a quad core.

This is the board I got:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186098

It is SLI and has 2 16x slots. So, could that mean it's simply the processor? The CPU can't handle doing both video cards at once?

Anyhow, so since it is an SLI board I should just need the quad core and I can:

play BE, watch TV and probably also in tadem watch p0rn and surf ebay and still pull 100fps.

correct?

BTW, thanks so much for all your help!

If your short on cash (know how that goes)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103295

These Triple core Black edition 8750's are a sweet spot.

You can get those puppies upto 3.0~3.4Ghz No problem at all, Just change the multiplier value in the bios and you've got yourself a spankin' *** processor.

Thats an AM2+ processor that won't work (100%) all that good on an AM2 board though from AMD "AMD confirmed that AM2 processors will work on AM2+ motherboards and AM2+ processors will work on AM2 motherboards. However, the operation of AM2+ processors on AM2 motherboards will be limited to the specifications of Socket AM2 (1 GHz HyperTransport 2.0, and one power plane for both cores and the IMC). AM2 processors do not benefit from the faster HyperTransport 3.0 and separate power planes on AM2+ motherboards."

Oh yeah forgot to say that you have to upgrade the motherboard bios in order to use the AM2+ cpu with your motherboard and make sure you look at the motherboards manufacturers website before buying a AM2+ cpu. Make sure you buy an AM2+ cpu tha will work with your motherboard.

The AM2+ processor won't be as productive on the AM2 board though the AM2+ will work in the AM2 board.

Edited by natedawg

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0