Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
firefly7

Help for a computer noob :)

36 posts in this topic

Here's the gist of it: My parents and me talked, and kinda-ish decided that I should get a laptop able to play 1.31 instead of going into the hasstle of trying to upgrade our low-end system.

I looked around and the main one we have been concentrating on is a dell inspiron 15, and I sorted out basically everything that I need to use the laptop and play the game, except the knowledge that everything will work/go as planned.

Now, just so anyone who reads/responds to this knows, I am COMPLETELY DUMB in the language or understanding and especially experience of computers and computer-related stuff. I know that a ATI HD4500 is "better" than a X300, but that's about it :D

Now, before I post the specs, I want to clarify two major questions/concerns:

1. I do not know if the processor or video card will fit into the laptop at all, so advice on a better card that can fit or better processor that can fit is much appreciated.

2. Money. Right now I have the laptop costing $677, not including the video card and processor that I would like replaced with the vid/processor that come with the laptop. This should preferably be kept as low as possible.

Ok, on to the specs:

Intel® Pentium® Dual Core™ T4400 (2.2GHz/800MHz FSB/1MB cache) (will be replaced)

Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English, with Belkin Easy Transfer Cable

320GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)

6-cell battery

Dell Wireless 1397 802.11g Half Mini-Card

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X4500HD (will be replaced)

8X CD/DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)

High Definition Audio 2.0

Microsoft® Office Home and Student 2007 - Word, Excel + PowerPoint

4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 800MHz

Integrated 10/100 Network Card

(This isn't all that I'm getting, I just wanted to show mostly the important stuff.)

Here's the link for the list of cards (HD4850) I'm hoping to replace the X4500 with: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010380048+1305520549+106792627+1067940677&QksAutoSuggestion=&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Configurator=&Subcategory=48&description=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=

Here's the processor I'm hoping to put in as well: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103687&nm_mc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r&cm_mmc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r-_-Processors+-+Desktops-_-AMD-_-19103687

THE BIG QUESTION: Will it work?

We will just hire some guy to install the parts cus we don't trust ourselves to :)

Again, I'm a computer noob, so if something looks blatantly nonsensical, that's why :)

THANKS!!

P.S. Here's the Inspiron 15 dell thingie if you need to look at it or something http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=dndozm2&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19

Edited by firefly7

Errr. For one thing, the cpu and gpu are two major components, so you are seeking to buy something new and instantly upgrade it? Why not just kit out a Dell with the specs you want instead?

Also, it's an Intel based laptop you listed. You can't add an AMD cpu to that or a pci-e graphics card. It's either physically not possible or you'd have to swap the motherboard in it. At that point, you might as well have bought a new laptop or a regular tower case.

Laptops are tricky for playing games on...

I'd make sure you get advice from someone that actually is using the model they recommend...

Errr. For one thing, the cpu and gpu are two major components, so you are seeking to buy something new and instantly upgrade it? Why not just kit out a Dell with the specs you want instead?

Also, it's an Intel based laptop you listed. You can't add an AMD cpu to that or a pci-e graphics card. It's either physically not possible or you'd have to swap the motherboard in it. At that point, you might as well have bought a new laptop or a regular tower case.

Hey, i did say i was computer noob lol

k that helps some... but the best CPU for that laptop was a 2.53 ghz dual core, which is below min expectations for 1.31 (I think).

And what do you mean by "Why not just kit out a Dell with the specs you want intsead?" Do you mean get the stuff then build it? afraid I don't follow

Laptops are tricky for playing games on...

I'd make sure you get advice from someone that actually is using the model they recommend...

hehe good advice i suppose :)

I want to clarify two major questions/concerns:

1. I do not know if the processor or video card will fit into the laptop at all, so advice on a better card that can fit or better processor that can fit is much appreciated.

2. Money. Right now I have the laptop costing $677, not including the video card and processor that I would like replaced with the vid/processor that come with the laptop. This should preferably be kept as low as possible.

1 - it is rather unlikely/impossible that you can replace the processor/graphics.laptops are not built with that in mind

2 - if you are already up to that anyway ....

http://www.battlegroundeurope.com/index.php/component/content/article/10-production-notes/4054-131-system-spec-update#build

Erik

1 - it is rather unlikely/impossible that you can replace the processor/graphics.laptops are not built with that in mind

2 - if you are already up to that anyway ....

http://www.battlegroundeurope.com/index.php/component/content/article/10-production-notes/4054-131-system-spec-update#build

Erik

Only thing is, the point that my parents decided was that i would be getting a laptop for college in a couple or three years anyway, so why spend money upgrading the family computer (which i play BE on now) when I can just have a laptop that has good enough specs for 1.31?

I mean, if I can get the ATI card in the laptop, then the only thing bugging it down is the processor. The best one they had as an option for that lappy clocked at 2.53ghz i believe, and I assume I could somehow "overclock it" or whatever to get it to around 3ghz, which could work for 1.31 beta?

That 2.53ghz one costs a hell of a lot of money though...

Only thing is, the point that my parents decided was that i would be getting a laptop for college in a couple or three years anyway, so why spend money upgrading the family computer (which i play BE on now) when I can just have a laptop that has good enough specs for 1.31?

Consider laptops unupgradeable/untweakable unless _proven_ otherwise.

You can't upgrade graphics, at least dell.com doesn't mention the machine having that option. It is extremely unlikely that you can physically fit a graphics card inside ....Overclocking is a big question mark as well.

You might have more luck trying to convince parents that a laptop will be obsolete/worn out/broken in 2 to 3 years ...

Erik

Gaming laptops ARE expensive. It's just not possible to get a cheap laptop and upgrade it to game specs.

I don't know much about pricing over there but if I translate what the minimum laptop that would be able to play the game cost over here it would be around $1100. You could buy or build a very good desktop computer for that kind of money that would last 3 times as long for this game.

I paid 1800 for a 1080P HP laptop with a 2.66ghz cpu 230M Nvidia etc and it is not a gaming rig. You could spend 2700 for a alien gaming laptop. You might consider acutally building your own gaming pc for1k that would be twice as fast at half the price. You need to start doing homework on gaming machines and laptop and high demand games are a contridiction in terms.

The BIOS for OClocking in PC is almost non existant in Laptops. You have very little ability to OC either the cpu or video

Think about using us to spec out a gaming pc, buy the parts from NewEgg and find a Mom n Pop computer store to build it for 100 dollars and then buy a standard laptop for college, but if you are not going there soon, it will be out of date soonest.

Think about using us to spec out a gaming pc' date=' buy the parts from NewEgg and find a Mom n Pop computer store to build it for 100 dollars and then buy a standard laptop for college, but if you are not going there soon, it will be out of date soonest.[/quote']

I'm starting to think that this is the best solution, yeah.

As far as people have said, i'm not gonna get the laptop up to 1.31 standards, and I'm not ANYWHERE willing to spend more than 1000 dollars on one. I'm thinking I might just want to either upgrade our family PC, or do as hardcase suggested and get parts, then have someone build one specifically for gaming.

I'm leaning toward upgrading ours though..

But thanks for all the help so far :)

what is you current family pc? it may actually be less expensive to rip out the guts (mobo/ram/cpu) and more or less start over.

Think about using us to spec out a gaming pc' date=' buy the parts from NewEgg and find a Mom n Pop computer store to build it for 100 dollars and then buy a standard laptop for college, but if you are not going there soon, it will be out of date soonest.[/quote']

Don't even buy a laptop for college. All you need is a netbook for college. Basically all you need is to be able to surf the net, write papers, or do some excel spreadsheets. This all depends on what you are going for college for if it is business related basically what I listed above is what you will be doing on a laptop and a netbook can do that all and is hell of a lot more cheaper than a laptop.

what is you current family pc? it may actually be less expensive to rip out the guts (mobo/ram/cpu) and more or less start over.

My parents would probably dis-own me for even suggesting that lol :)

They're extremely hesitant to do anything without 2 or 300 years of thought and planning ahead of time...

But anyway, it's a XP, Dimension E510.. I can put down specs if ya want but I suppose it's not that important.

Don't even buy a laptop for college. All you need is a netbook for college. Basically all you need is to be able to surf the net' date=' write papers, or do some excel spreadsheets. This all depends on what you are going for college for if it is business related basically what I listed above is what you will be doing on a laptop and a netbook can do that all and is hell of a lot more cheaper than a laptop.[/quote']

Yeh whatever I buy (or my parents help pay for) won't be something expensive, and I'll consider netbooks too, now that you said it. Still, this whole thing came up cus my parents were getting my brother a laptop, who's 3 years ahead of me...

My parents would probably dis-own me for even suggesting that lol :)

They're extremely hesitant to do anything without 2 or 300 years of thought and planning ahead of time...

But anyway, it's a XP, Dimension E510.. I can put down specs if ya want but I suppose it's not that important.

dont bother, i cringed when you said dimension (dell is horrible). that thing is an ancient computer dude would be a waste of money to upgrade that thing at all. gophur has a good guide for a ~500 dollar computer that will play the game well.

Intel® Pentium® Dual Core™ T4400 (2.2GHz/800MHz FSB/1MB cache) (will be replaced)

Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English, with Belkin Easy Transfer Cable

320GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)

6-cell battery

Dell Wireless 1397 802.11g Half Mini-Card

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X4500HD (will be replaced)

8X CD/DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)

High Definition Audio 2.0

Microsoft® Office Home and Student 2007 - Word, Excel + PowerPoint

4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 800MHz

Integrated 10/100 Network Card

That will not run Battleground Europe at all. It might boot, and you can look at the menus and goto the theater map.

But soon as you get in game that GMA will crash and burn, Graphics media accelerators aren't even classified as Graphics cards. expect literary 8-10fps in fields, 0-5 in battles.

This Will run world war II, and anything else you can throw at it just fine.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220669

ASUS G Series G72 1,299.99

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9000

6GB DDR2 800

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260M 1024MB

That being said, look what you get for a desktop, for about the same amount of cash

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227204

Performance difference would be hilarious. + it's easy to take that processor upto and above 4,000mhz

But if you need a sub-1,000$ desktop.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229134

That's about as good as your going to get (could probably find one with a better graphics card for another 150-200$ on top of that price)

Unless you have about a grand and a half to spend on a laptop, i'd stay away from them if your considering gaming.

Edited by indo420

Only thing is' date=' the point that my parents decided was that i would be getting a laptop for college in a couple or three years anyway, so why spend money upgrading the family computer (which i play BE on now) when I can just have a laptop that has good enough specs for 1.31?[/quote']

Because you likely can't get (without spending a small fortune) a laptop that is going to run BE decently. And it will certainly be struggling in 3 years time.

Even the laptops that are actually marketed as gaming machines are massively expensive and unupgradeable (hey, new word!).

Edited by Rubbish

My Amilo Xa that I got last spring played the game quite well. Of course not even close to a decent desktop but it was playable. Had a HD3650 and an Athlon X2 QL-62 in that one. Don't have it anymore so I don't know how it handles the game now.

again, thanks for the help :)

I'm thinking of just going for gophur's $500 rig, cus that's a great price for a good computer that could last as a desktop, and then get a cheap laptop later on.

Madrebel didn't like this idea but one of my friends said that if I upgraded our dell to 4GB RAM, and a HD4650 it would run great, he had these two things and a similar processor (was quad core though) and said he gets 80+ fps in-game, and average of 30 in 1.31.

Still thinking of just going for the $500 rig, but does anyone have any thoughts on the suggested one?

Dunno if I said this but our current processor is a Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.00GHz.

copy paste ftw :D

yeah i understand it's not exactly 500 dollars...

I'm thinking with just going with that rig. It'll be easier to just buy one that guaruntees good performance and then we don't have to monkey around with our old one, which is only gonna be used by a couple people. No point upgrading, better to just get whole new system for my desk.

Thanks for all the help!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0