Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
firefly7

Help for a computer noob :)

36 posts in this topic

lol "capable of 3dmark 2006 scores above 6100"

only 7000 more to go until you see good performance in ww2ol.

Hey heres some processors to consider though

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103652

AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition Heka 2.8GHz (104.99)

Capable of being overclocked to 3.6~4.0Ghz

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103711

AMD Phenom X3 8750 Black Edition Toliman 2.4GHz (65.99)

Capable of being overclocked to 3.2~3.4Ghz

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103688

AMD Athlon II X2 240 Regor 2.8GHz (62.99)

Can't Be overclocked.

I'd really...really....really....really try and get a phenom II, and not a low end athlon II. Athlons are for desktop and office work. Phenoms are for kickin' arse and gaming.

It's 30-40$ more bucks, But with a black edition, it wouldn't be anything to overclock the processor down the road when you need some more performance. It'd seriously be 30$ more well invested.

Not to mention them PII's are triple cores, and with 6 cores less then two months away from being released, and most games now wanting a quad core or better, you might kick yourself in the butt by getting the DC instead of a TC or QC

Edited by indo420

I paid 1800 for a 1080P HP laptop with a 2.66ghz cpu 230M Nvidia etc and it is not a gaming rig. You could spend 2700 for a alien gaming laptop. You might consider acutally building your own gaming pc for1k that would be twice as fast at half the price. You need to start doing homework on gaming machines and laptop and high demand games are a contridiction in terms.

Or you could go Asus and get a 17" gaming laptop with an i7, 8gb of RAM and a hd5870 ddr5 with dx11 for $1600 instead.

from what Indo said, the phenom seems the way to go, but could I just do gophur's rig but replace the athlon with the phenom suggested? Or would I need to get a motherboard that suited the processor?

AnandTech has guides for systems, at all price points.

This is the most recent <$1k guide. Trouble is that a) you need a fast CPU for this game, and fast CPUs are not cheap, and B) the cheapest systems tend to have onboard graphics. The "mainstream" models in that guide are probably the least you'll get away with for BE, and they are approaching $1k.

Edited by lutorm

from what Indo said' date=' the phenom seems the way to go, but could I just do gophur's rig but replace the athlon with the phenom suggested? Or would I need to get a motherboard that suited the processor?[/quote']

The mainboard will need to be socket AM3, And need to support 95W/125W processors (if your wanting a X4 955 or 965)

most mainboards will say right on it, the wattage amounts.

But mainboards like that can go for as little as 60-80$ for a "good" one.

probably skimp away and get like a 50-55$ Matx board, but lack of expandability and features tends to kick ur butt down the road, so might as well spend a extra 10$

Edited by indo420

Hmmm.. basically my only issue with all this changing and modifying to get the best results is that it just complicates the process (no matter how simple it seems). My parents get more hesitant the deeper we delve, and for our purposes, I think that simpler=less hassle=less worry=better results for everyone.

That's why I think I'm just gonna go ahead with the rig Gophur built, because if he says it works fine with 1.31, then it's completely fine by me.

My intentions aren't to get the best deal for the least amount of money, it's just to get an assured satisfaction for the least amount of money.

I truly appreciate all of the help you guys have given me, though, and have learned much :)

Don't overlook the E8400 Duo Wolfdale core. It overclocks from 3.0 to 3.6g with two mouse clicks using ddr2 800mhz memory. This is what I use for gaming and I have not gotten less than 60fps in beta, tho I am using an Nvidia 285, but the rig is CPU constrained so, a cheaper card should work.

Hmmm.. basically my only issue with all this changing and modifying to get the best results is that it just complicates the process (no matter how simple it seems). My parents get more hesitant the deeper we delve, and for our purposes, I think that simpler=less hassle=less worry=better results for everyone.

That's why I think I'm just gonna go ahead with the rig Gophur built, because if he says it works fine with 1.31, then it's completely fine by me.

My intentions aren't to get the best deal for the least amount of money, it's just to get an assured satisfaction for the least amount of money.

I truly appreciate all of the help you guys have given me, though, and have learned much :)

There are pre-built stacks you can buy on newegg or tiger direct for pretty cheap if your parents are worried about having the inside of there computer raped

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5774312&CatId=4928

?

There are pre-built stacks you can buy on newegg or tiger direct for pretty cheap if your parents are worried about having the inside of there computer raped

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5774312&CatId=4928

?

omg that's pretty damn good system for 700 bucks lol.. we've basicaly found a monitor to buy from dell along with speakers, so that should work out great, plus we don't have to get it built for us.

Thanks!

omg that's pretty damn good system for 700 bucks lol.. we've basicaly found a monitor to buy from dell along with speakers, so that should work out great, plus we don't have to get it built for us.

Thanks!

NP, if you look at all the desktops for sale, there are some nice(er) ones for 100-140$ more or so.

but that one was pretty good for 700$ lol

NP, if you look at all the desktops for sale, there are some nice(er) ones for 100-140$ more or so.

but that one was pretty good for 700$ lol

Yep parents wanna look at it a bit first but I think we have a winner :)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0