Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stalg

Just bought new system... Should I keep my GeForce 7900GTX or upgrade it too?

25 posts in this topic

I just bought a new i5-750 266 Quad Core with 8gb ram.

Unfortunately it comes with a GeForce 210 (which I plan on yanking out immediately).

My question is, should I keep my old GeForce 7900GTX, which has served me well in WW2 Online, or is it worth spending another $200 to get a GTX260?

Reviews show my 7900GTX much better than the 210, but not as good as the GTX260.

What about dual-card options?

Thanks for the help!

200$ for a 260? whose ripping you off? u can buy a 5770 4890 or a GTX 275 for that price... but def upgrade with 1.31 coming out. 5770 would be my reccomendation just b/c of DX 11 and the ability to xfire if u have the mobo for it, great card, but so are the 275 and 4890. all around same price. 5770 is abit cheaper

Also if u're thinking dual card... get 2 5770s. no single card matches em cept for 450$+ cards and u can get 2 of em for around 300

200$ for a 260? whose ripping you off? u can buy a 5770 4890 or a GTX 275 for that price... but def upgrade with 1.31 coming out. 5770 would be my reccomendation just b/c of DX 11 and the ability to xfire if u have the mobo for it' date=' great card, but so are the 275 and 4890. all around same price. 5770 is abit cheaper[/quote']

I'm looking at prices at Tigerdirect and NewEgg... where can I get them for less? I'm in Calif. so don't pay sales tax if I buy from Tigerdirect, which saves me 10%.

My motherboard is Intel P55 Chipset 1156, with 2 PCIe x16 and 2 PCI.

go for 2 5770s the 260 has gone up in price it used to be down at 120$ 5-6 months ago... so that'd be my suggestion... or if all u can afford is one go for 1 5770 then buy a 2nd in a few months... u will get alot outta those cards.

go for 2 5770s the 260 has gone up in price it used to be down at 120$ 5-6 months ago... so that'd be my suggestion... or if all u can afford is one go for 1 5770 then buy a 2nd in a few months... u will get alot outta those cards.

OK, thanks for the help!

I assume it's not possible to double up with my existing 7900gtx, right?

(if I got one new 5770?)

OK, thanks for the help!

I assume it's not possible to double up with my existing 7900gtx, right?

(if I got one new 5770?)

If you waited about a month and a half the New Nvidia DX-11 Fermi-100 (Geforce 400 Series) cards will be out.

you'll lol at the performance gains over the current 5xxx ATi cards.

You can expect the news to be released at the PAX east expo next month. (march 26-28th )

Oddly enough, It's the first video card to be named after a Physicist.

but all that being said. I had a Evga 7900GTo with 12 pixel pipe lines. And they were about the same speed as my 8800GTS G80 with 96SPU

SPU's are the multi-core equivalents of quad core CPUs. except there are 100's to 1000's of these lil' bastages in the GPU. SPU is short for Shader processing units.

The 7900GTX has twice the PPL's of the 7900GT i had. 24 on yours. so its probably same as a crappy 9800GT

But for sure i'd get a 5xxx series ATi card or hold out for a Geforce DX11 card. hahah but they'll be expensive as hell.

Another Question i might add, have you considered a new LCD monitor? 22-26" LCD monitors can be had for pretty cheap these days. and theres no sense in getting a super nice computer only to look through it with a crap monitor if you get what im saying.

120hz monitors are crazy. if you can afford one, get one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009222&cm_re=120hz_lcd_monitor-_-24-009-222-_-Product

Edited by indo420

Yes a new card would be nice but as INdy said there are new Nvdia cards out maybe soon ??

That will give a new option or drive down prices on the 260's 275 etc.

Now a single 5770 is a nice cheap option and a 260 is MORE than enough for this game. I have an I7 and the 260gtx is not pushed at all at any time with ww2 - It is CPU bottlenecked as several people have seen and proved in other threads.

The 260 is way better than a 7900GTX - Memory bandwidth 100% more, pixel fill rate 60% more, Texture fill rate 180% more.

Of course try it out first. Compare with other people who have an I5 or I7 with abetter card and you can know exactly HOW much performance you get with a new card.

I'll be happy to give a comparison for an I7 and 260GTX (192) and I am sure somebody else has an I5 with better card.

Might be worth hanging on though as prices may drop on the 260's etc once the new range is announced.

If you waited about a month and a half the New Nvidia DX-11 Fermi-100 (Geforce 400 Series) cards will be out.

you'll lol at the performance gains over the current 5xxx ATi cards.

You can expect the news to be released at the PAX east expo next month. (march 26-28th )

Oddly enough, It's the first video card to be named after a Physicist.

but all that being said. I had a Evga 7900GTo with 12 pixel pipe lines. And they were about the same speed as my 8800GTS G80 with 96SPU

SPU's are the multi-core equivalents of quad core CPUs. except there are 100's to 1000's of these lil' bastages in the GPU. SPU is short for Shader processing units.

The 7900GTX has twice the PPL's of the 7900GT i had. 24 on yours. so its probably same as a crappy 9800GT

But for sure i'd get a 5xxx series ATi card or hold out for a Geforce DX11 card. hahah but they'll be expensive as hell.

Another Question i might add, have you considered a new LCD monitor? 22-26" LCD monitors can be had for pretty cheap these days. and theres no sense in getting a super nice computer only to look through it with a crap monitor if you get what im saying.

120hz monitors are crazy. if you can afford one, get one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009222&cm_re=120hz_lcd_monitor-_-24-009-222-_-Product

Yea u'll LAWL at the insignificant performance gains by the G300 SERIES not 400. and pay a 25% more premium for a card that gives u physics... ok.... so? 2 5770s is unbeatable for the price... nvidia can't come close to it for the perofmance to cost. 5770 no doubt is the best card on the market and will be until nvidia gets their heads out of the gutter. a 5770 doesn't even require any cables it uses all its power fmo the bus which is impressive... u won't be dissapointed with 2 or even 1 5770. 1 5770 is 150% better than 1 GTX 260 and costs 25% less. u do the math.

Yea u'll LAWL at the insignificant performance gains by the G300 SERIES not 400. and pay a 25% more premium for a card that gives u physics... ok.... so? 2 5770s is unbeatable for the price... nvidia can't come close to it for the perofmance to cost. 5770 no doubt is the best card on the market and will be until nvidia gets their heads out of the gutter. a 5770 doesn't even require any cables it uses all its power fmo the bus which is impressive... u won't be dissapointed with 2 or even 1 5770. 1 5770 is 150% better than 1 GTX 260 and costs 25% less. u do the math.

Well you make some good points about the 5770 but can't let the performance claims pass :)

It does use less power, it is a good card and cheaper than the 260 but is NOT 150% better.

In toms hardware and other reputable guides the 5770 and 260 were basically about the same. Some tests the 5770 just won and some tests the GTX260 just won. FPS is pretty much the same for most games.

Now saying that the 5770 has some faster specs but the GTX260 is more powerful in what it does. The 5770 has DX11 and is cheaper and uses less power so it's good from that viewpoint.

ON price and performance the 5770 is perhaps the best all round performer for the money. They do use ATI drivers though and after problems a few years back with two different ATI cards I'm sticking with Nvidia from now on.

I've got an older 260 GTX which still rocks on my machine and won't need an upgrade for a long time. Battleground Europe does not push this card anyway even in 1.31 - MY CPU is the bottleneck still - I7 920 :)

Well you make some good points about the 5770 but can't let the performance claims pass :)

It does use less power, it is a good card and cheaper than the 260 but is NOT 150% better.

In toms hardware and other reputable guides the 5770 and 260 were basically about the same. Some tests the 5770 just won and some tests the GTX260 just won. FPS is pretty much the same for most games.

Now saying that the 5770 has some faster specs but the GTX260 is more powerful in what it does. The 5770 has DX11 and is cheaper and uses less power so it's good from that viewpoint.

ON price and performance the 5770 is perhaps the best all round performer for the money. They do use ATI drivers though and after problems a few years back with two different ATI cards I'm sticking with Nvidia from now on.

I've got an older 260 GTX which still rocks on my machine and won't need an upgrade for a long time. Battleground Europe does not push this card anyway even in 1.31 - MY CPU is the bottleneck still - I7 920 :)

Don't forget you can play "get some crunk in yo system" and overclock the living HELL out of that GTX260

I try and steer clear of fanboy-ism in these forums for the most part, but i tend to side with nvidia for this particular game. just because they dont really have as many issues as ATi cards tend to have.

GTX260 actually beats a 5770 in about 90% of the tests.

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/gaming-graphics-cards-charts-2009-high-quality-update-3/compare,1702.html?prod[3202]=on∏[3253]=on

but when the tests are only a few frames apart in speeds. I'd start to look at which card can overclock higher, which has a higher bandwidth and which actually is the most stable.

Now if you've got the cash to blow. Them 5870's are fast as s@#$

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150443&cm_re=ATi_5870-_-14-150-443-_-Product

but i guess this is a dead topic, turned into rants and raves. And i've probably added all the advice i can add.

Edited by indo420

If I have a ATi Radeon HD 4870 is it worth upgrading? or should I wait awhile for further developments (I have some extra money itching to be spent).

If I have a ATi Radeon HD 4870 is it worth upgrading? or should I wait awhile for further developments (I have some extra money itching to be spent).

Save them for later an get something even better then instead. The 4870 is good for another year or two.

PUT IN YOUR 7900GTX and TRY IT OUT IN THE GAME...

7900gtx better than my 7800gt. I'm happy with my i5-750/7800gt setup. I most likely will upgrade anyway, but there is no urgency.

Erik

if u havea 4870 no need to upgrade. but 2 5770s will BLOW AWAY 1 5870 only thing compairable is a 5970 which is twice the cost as 2 5770s, 260s are not nearly as good as 5770s, they are a generation older, require alot more power, and they're memory heavy, and the onyl thing nvidia is good for is EVGA, and its physics, otherwise ATI cards are better in every aspect. if anything 2 5770s is the best combination of cards out their on the market for 300$.

if u havea 4870 no need to upgrade. but 2 5770s will BLOW AWAY 1 5870 only thing compairable is a 5970 which is twice the cost as 2 5770s' date=' 260s are not nearly as good as 5770s, they are a generation older, require alot more power, and they're memory heavy, and the onyl thing nvidia is good for is EVGA, and its physics, otherwise ATI cards are better in every aspect. if anything 2 5770s is the best combination of cards out their on the market for 300$.[/quote']

Sadly enough 2x5770 won't blow a 5870 away in this game since it doesn't support crossfire, unless this changes with 1.31.

Thanks for all the input everyone.

The motherboard on my new system (should be here in a few days) only supports Crossfire,not SLI (I think), so that will likely be another factor.

I will keep the 7900GTX for now, see how it runs, and get a new one later when prices drop a bit more. Prob ATI because of the lack of SLI on my mb. (Be my first..I've always been a GeForce guy).

AS far as monitors go... I'm going to hook it up to my 46" Sony Bravia just to see how it runs :P

S!

Probably your best decision right now.

For reference in this game SLI or crossfire is not supported but other games are of course.

ATI cards seem to be struggling with this patch (Based on fps benchmarks I've seen in this forum). Once you see those go up then a bit safer to get one :)

Use to be a ATI guy but this is just about the only game I play now a days and switched to Nvidia just because ATI and there drivers have always seemed to be a problem with this game Nvidia just seems to get along with this game better then ATI so I stick with Nvidia cards even if ATI seems to be the better card on the market.

See, i play more than just this game, and if thats the case ATI is the better choice for the most part unless the game allows physx, in which case i'll just buy some crappy 9600 and use it for physx :P

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0