Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tuominen

Getting new PC, what do I need..

26 posts in this topic

to do some decent CAS job?

What does my PC require most, memory, vidcard, processor?

My vidcard is gf8800gt... rest of my PC is pure shat. Can I build anything good aroudn that or should I upgrade it also?

from others posts, it seems WWIIOL:BE is very processor intensive, so the fastest processor you can get. dual core minimum, quad core if possible.

also moar RAM. 4GB minimum, get a 64 bit operating system and a good motherboard and you can get 8 or even 12GB RAM, it may seem like overkill but you can never have enough RAM!

and thats it - not sure about the gfx card, I don;t think there is much gain to be had from having a top of the range gfx card unless you are going to be playng other, more eye candy related games.

good luck, let us know what you build inthe end!!

I've just rebuilt my pc using an asus M4a79XTD mb, amd x4 965 cpu and 4mb ddr3 ram. I also re-formatted my 250gb HD and installed windows 7. I also bought an ati 5770 graphics card, but as i didn't realise my power supply was low (400w) decided to wait until i have more power before installing it (750w psu currently on order). I'm therefore using my old ati x1950 pro atm, and can honestly say that for the time being i am over the moon with the difference in game. Before i was getting an average of 20-35 fps, but regular hits down to 1-2 if around heavy action, which was destroying my in game experience. Now i'm hitting up to 150fps, no lag spikes, no stutters whatsoever.

So, in conclusion, upgrade your cpu/board/ram before touching your graphics card. Also, try using a clean hard drive or partition.

Bradgr.

Yeah depends on price etc but.

Probably want a new case. (Antec 300 good and cheap Antec 900 about all you'll need and very nice but many many others - Good air flow and fans are good hence I like Antec 900 as they are priced well for what they are.)

PSU - at least 700W + - Good quality

Decision - Intel or AMD

AMD pretty good and cheaper - I7 chips Intel best performers.

If I7 then choose motherboard (AMD also of course but we'll stick with intel)

Often they will have Triple channel memory This means you buy 3 sticks the same. (920 2.66ghz bottom of range pretty good and will overclock. Artic cooler (freezer pro or whatver) fan good for CPU's

memory - 3 sticks of 2GB best value and 6GB enough for anyone. (Most people don;t get near to using it all). Make sure Motherboard supprots the speed of memory you buy - should do but worth checking.

New HD - Generally I like the Western Digital Sata drives 64MB cache versions. 500GB 1TB whatever you want.

If money not too much of a problem might want to look at SSD for your OS and games and put another Sata drive in for music and video storage etc.

Video Card - Stick with the 8800 if cash is tight and you want to get the best you can or budget is tight for an I7 but you want it.

Upgrade once the new Nvidia market settles down. The GTX 260's are very well priced and the ATI 5770's are good on a budget but you may want to wait and get something a bit higher later.

Operating System - Has to be W7 64 bit - I bought Home Premium and that perfect for just about most people.

Sound card - Do you have one to transfer ?

Screen - If your on a pokey little 20 inch or something then an upgrade will really help. 23/ 24 absolute minimum really I would say. Loads of great cheap monitors now.

Speakers - You got your new CPU but if your using 2 speakers then it's not much good. Many people use headphones I know so they can get surround.

I've still got a set of Logitech Z5500 surround sound with huge bass box and they seem to work really well. I am sure there must be better sets around 4 - 500 dollars but I'm not ready to upgrade just yet.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speakers_audio/home_pc_speakers/devices/224&cl=us,en

Edited by badger77

Yeah depends on price etc but.

Probably want a new case. (Antec 300 good and cheap Antec 900 about all you'll need and very nice but many many others - Good air flow and fans are good hence I like Antec 900 as they are priced well for what they are.)

Decision - Intel or AMD

AMD pretty good and cheaper - I7 chips Intel best performers.

If I7 then choose motherboard (AMD also of course but we'll stick with intel)

Often they will have Triple channel memory This means you buy 3 sticks the same. (920 2.66ghz bottom of range pretty good and will overclock. Artic cooler (freezer pro or whatver) fan good for CPU's

memory - 3 sticks of 2GB best value and 6GB enough for anyone. (Most people don;t get near to using it all). Make sure Motherboard supprots the speed of memory you buy - should do but worth checking.

New HD - Generally I like the Western Digital Sata drives 64MB cache versions. 500GB 1TB whatever you want.

If money not too much of a problem might want to look at SSD for your OS and games and put another Sata drive in for music and video storage etc.

Video Card - Stick with the 8800 if cash is tight and you want to get the best you can or budget is tight for an I7 but you want it.

Upgrade once the new Nvidia market settles down. The GTX 260's are very well priced and the ATI 5770's are good on a budget but you may want to wait and get something a bit higher later.

Operating System - Has to be W7 64 bit - I bought Home Premium and that perfect for just about most people.

Sound card - Do you have one to transfer ?

Screen - If your on a pokey little 20 inch or something then an upgrade will really help. 23/ 24 absolute minimum really I would say. Loads of great cheap monitors now.

Speakers - You got your new CPU but if your using 2 speakers then it's not much good. Many people use headphones I know so they can get surround.

I've still got a set of Logitech Z5500 surround sound with huge bass box and they seem to work really well. I am sure there must be better sets around 4 - 500 dollars but I'm not ready to upgrade just yet.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speakers_audio/home_pc_speakers/devices/224&cl=us,en

Good advice

My fps litterely tripled just swapping out my CPU/Mobo/Ram and keeping my 8800GTX

Lol badger should see my audio set up. My logi sub is my crappiest one. (15", 10" 8" long throw and that logi sub)

Sounds like theres a bunch of gorrillas fighting under my desk.

if you can budget it in, you might consider a good CPU cooler, Both of the stock offerings from intel and AMD are "okay" But they let the processors get hotter then i like to see (140's 150's). Not saying you should get a giant socket snapper heatsink. but something like a Corsair H50 is perfect and they aren't terrible expensive.

I can tell you there is less then 2-5fps difference between my stack and bud420's stack when we are in the same room playing ww2ol ( he comes over on the weekends)

He's got: Core i7 920 @ 2.66Ghz/6.0GB DDR3-1600 (Ballistix) GTX260/GTX260

I have : Phenom II 955 @ 3.6Ghz/4.0GB DDR3-1600 (ripjaw) 8800GTX

He blows me out of the water in GTA4 and other games like its pearl harbor though. but alot of that is to blame on my old 8800GTX.

Oh just so you know quads aren't supported in ww2ol, neither are Dual cores. And its not going to be supported in 1.31 and probably not in 32 33 34 or 35

defiantly look into a new monitor if your upgrading everything else, and your current monitor is old/sucks.

Edited by indo420

Nordea 123950-141812

;)

I have good samsung 22" wide flat :)

I also have pretty good 2.1 soundsetup, as I have no option to instal 5.1.

Edited by Tuominen

Nordea 123950-141812

;)

I have good samsung 22" wide flat :)

I also have pretty good 2.1 soundsetup, as I have no option to instal 5.1.

well if you can afford it, go with a intel set up and a quality mainboard made for overclocking.

if your budget strapped, the phenom II 955/965 are great processors and i'd go with one of them on a amd based system.

intel X58 chipsets do both ATi crossfire and Nvidia SLi, so thats a good chipset option to choose on a intel based set up.. best of both words.

You need to wait.

:)

Seriously you should wait until 1.31 is finally out abd see what performance others are getting. Also the New Nvidea cards are coming out and the Ati59XXX will be more mature so Prices for 2nd/3rd tier gfx cards will drop.

You need to wait.

:)

Seriously you should wait until 1.31 is finally out abd see what performance others are getting. Also the New Nvidea cards are coming out and the Ati59XXX will be more mature so Prices for 2nd/3rd tier gfx cards will drop.

How long till its out?

How long till its out?

Not sure but the shopping sites I visit have them on "pre-order" options with Pricing...so not long now :)

As far as CPU goes... you want the fastest core you can manage.

A slower Ghtz Quad will be worse than a faster Dual core for the game.

That said, the I5 750's seem highely recommended for gamers. Budget price, good performance, great overclocker.

Also, from what I'm reading, triple channel memory offer little advantage over Dual channel.

As far as CPU goes... you want the fastest core you can manage.

A slower Ghtz Quad will be worse than a faster Dual core for the game.

That said, the I5 750's seem highely recommended for gamers. Budget price, good performance, great overclocker.

Also, from what I'm reading, triple channel memory offer little advantage over Dual channel.

so.. dual channel is more worth the buck?

Well personally I don't think it matters much.

I got triple channel memory as I wanted an I7 and the board I bought had triple on it so I thought I'll buy a triple mem pack.

The only good thing is that if you buy 3 sticks of ram then 2GB is the logical size to buy to give yourself 6GB. 2Gb chips are reasonably priced (for DDR3) so it works out well from that point of view.

If you get a board that supports dual channel then 2 sticks or 4 sticks or dual will be fine. I don't think there is much performance benefit from either - The speed of memory does make a difference but if you match up same memory indual or triple not much difference.

As badger says!

Get i7 - you can get the 920 pretty cheap (make sure its a C0 stepping)

Get the ASUS P6T Deluxe 2

Get triple channel RAM (and DONT go for more than 6Gb as you will never feel the difference other than 12Gb DDR3 is slower than 6Gb DDR3)

Do invest money in a SSD - this you WILL love!

Graphics card - hmmm the GTX models sure are cheap now, and I would never be caught with anything ATI makes!

This should set you up pretty good

Well personally I don't think it matters much.

I got triple channel memory as I wanted an I7 and the board I bought had triple on it so I thought I'll buy a triple mem pack.

The only good thing is that if you buy 3 sticks of ram then 2GB is the logical size to buy to give yourself 6GB. 2Gb chips are reasonably priced (for DDR3) so it works out well from that point of view.

If you get a board that supports dual channel then 2 sticks or 4 sticks or dual will be fine. I don't think there is much performance benefit from either - The speed of memory does make a difference but if you match up same memory indual or triple not much difference.

Pretty much, I didn't see any benchmark improvements, or gaming improvment when i slapped my two extra sticks in and went 128bit ganged.

In theory though, you should have more memory bandwidth in a game that has quad core support....but thats not ww2ol.

Just shoot for 3-6GB of the NICEST memory you can afford. low memory timings and DDR3-1333 or DDR3-1600 speeds.

9800GTX/ GTX260 from nvidia or a ATi 5770 or the likes will do just fine (probably overkill for ww2ol, perfect for every other game) and not break the bank.

I might also look into a steam account if your buying a new computer and want some new games to check out (a lot of free demos on steam)

Just cause 2 kicks a@#

Edited by indo420

Sounds like theres a bunch of gorrillas fighting under my desk.

This made me lol so hard snot came out...

Overkill. I have an overclocked E8500, and an overclocked 4870, and my machine never draws more than 350W at the plug. Unless you are going to run double graphics cards, or even then unless they are gtx480's, you'll be fine with 500-600W. It does have to be good quality though, like Seasonic or Enermax.

SilentPCreview does very good testing of PSUs, check out their recommended list.

This made me lol so hard snot came out...

Hah my neighbors learned a long time ago you don't try and out "loud" the neighbors stereo.

made the black lady two houses down want to fight few years back when the mexicans still lived next to us and decided playing that mariachi music at 2am was a good idea.

pointed my two big studio speakers i use for DJ'ing (2x15" subs + 10' mid + 8" horn) out the window towards there house and let them feel on some hyper drive and SMF until 10:30am the next morning.

Never heard so much as a pip from them after that.

: P

duh, car broke down, so.. taht little I had reserved for PC is about to be gone :P anybody have some "old" dual core stashed away with memory on mother board? :D

duh' date=' car broke down, so.. taht little I had reserved for PC is about to be gone :P anybody have some "old" dual core stashed away with memory on mother board? :D[/quote']

aw :(

I just sold my old X2 6000+/MSi 6727/2048MB DDR2-800 set up.

and my X2 4200+

send your new pc to me..heh heh i will check it out for you Heh heh ( would a truckdriver lie?)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0