• Announcements

• HEAVY265

Attention Soldiers Operation Fury Needs you!   02/20/2020

Attention All Soldiers, Operation Fury needs you.  You need to choose a side and sign up.  
      For more intel on Operation Fury Please click HERE Please go to Special Event Forum (here), And sign up for allied or axis.
      This will be a CRS Lead event on both sides.  Xoom will be heading up the axis side and Heavy265 will be heading up the Allied side. This will be for bragging rights.
      Why are we asking players to sign up you ask. We are trying for a role play experience.   We want this to be a true realistic event.  
      So get up and sign up and let's make this the best event ever!!!!!!!!!!
      Give me your war cry, grrrrrrrrrrrrr
      Heavy265 **out**
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
svt40

Collectors of world war militaria

36 posts in this topic

Next we'll take a look at bayonets and other cutting utensils used by the military including engineer tools.

First up is the still common M-7 bayonet for the M16 series rifle. These are being phased out for the newer M-9. So as these hit the market they will still be quite affordable for the collector of martial arms. Like all other surplus items though they will increase in value as the supplies available dry up.

This one is made by BOC which only made the M-7 during the Vietnam timeframe (with 5 other manufacturers). It comes in an early style M8A1 scabbard without the metal reinforcement on the tip.

DSC00889.jpg

Next up is the typical bayonet our opposition used. This is an early AKM-47 bayonet. The early ones are easily identifiable by the "dog ears" on the handle. These would fit around the gas block on the early AKMs. These bayonets will NOT fit the later model AK/AKMs. It also has the early style Soviet scabbard similar to hose used late in WWII.

DSC00895.jpg

DSC00896.jpg

Here is a version of the modern AKM bayonet with the integral wire cutter hinge on the scabbard These only fit the newer model AK/AKMs as well as PSLs and other DMR rifle of Soviet design. A collector who focused solely on the AK/AKM bayonets can amass a quite impressive collection quickly and for little cash layout. However my reason for having the AK bayonets is to have the bayonets for my AK's.

DSC00932.jpg

Next is a pair of Commonwealth bayonets.

The first one is a British No4 spike bayonet with scabbard and frog (modified). These bayonets are still quite readily found and still very cheap to buy. I found this one with no frog for $4. The frog actually cost more than the bayonet and scabbard at $10. These spike bayos were made by many companies and countries all the way into the 1970's. There are also many variations to be found.

DSC00935.jpg

Hmm. I'm going to have to cut this one short as it seems I do not have any photos of the bayonets I was going to post. I currently do not have them either as they are on loan to a local museum. So I'll continue this after I get some good photos of the items.

Just picked this bayonet up at a recent gun show. I got lucky on it is the least I can say!

I took my own advice and decided to start gathering the M7 bayonets. Well this one is one of the holy grails of the M7 world. It is an FZR manufactured M7 that was made in very small numbers during Vietnam. Unfortunately that is all that ANYONE knows about them. No documents have ever been found about FZR being a prime contractor. So this manufacturer although known to have produced M7s during the Vietnam war is a mystery.

DSC00936.jpg

DSC00937.jpg

Next one is the typical Soviet Mosin Nagant bayonet. The only marking on it for the Tula plant who manufactured this bayonet.

DSC00934.jpg

Next bayonet is made for my namesake. The SVT-40 bayonet. These are rather scarce and expensive here in the US but luckily a few were recently imported and I was able to get one beofre they all were sold. This one is a mid war bayonet with the crimped style scabbard and leather hanger. It has been refurbished by the Soviets before being put into sotrage for who knows how long. It was also made by Tula.

There are so many variations on these that I do not think mty collection will expand past this one bayonet. Simply because they are just not affordable.

DSC00899.jpg

DSC00900.jpg

DSC00901.jpg

Forgive the next few photos. They were taken with my old camera and are not that great.

Up next is a WWII manufactured M4 bayonet for the M1 carbine. There are tons of these on the market lately. The Camillus Cutlery company has begun making them again for sale. Luckliy they are made a bit differently than their WWII counterparts. The biggest difference is the leather handles and the way the pommel is attached to the tang. While a modern repro is still about $35-45, the originals are now fetching over $100 in nice condition.

M1carbinebayonet.jpg

Next is the first bayonet for the M1903 rifle. It is the M1905 bayonet. First produced in 1906 and issued until 1942. In 1942 the design was changed to make the blades 10" rather than the 16" blade originally called for. Many of the original M1905's ere cut down to the new 10" spec and renamed M1905E1.

When the M1905 was first built the blade was left "in the white" meaing it had no finish on it. The handle however was dip blued to about 1/4 onto the blade. Around 1916 the bayonets got fully blued. Then later about 1918 they were parkerized in a manganese phosphate to give them a non glare black finish. 1922 was the last year of production until WWII came about.

This one is first year production M1905 still in the white with a WWII scabbard.

M1906Bayonet.jpg

M1906bayomarkings.jpg

Here is a shot of two WWII made bayonets. The top one is a very ratty M1 bayonet made in 10" length and the bottom one is an M1905E1 cut down bayonet.

M1bayonets.jpg

Next we see the still somewhat common K98 bayonet. These used to be quite cheap to purchase but have jumped over the $100 mark in the last few years for nice examples like this one. This particular one is all matching and was made in 1943 by fnj which was code for Alex Coppel, Stahlware u. Waffenfabrik GmbH, Solingen, Nordrhein-Westfalen. The waffenampts or inspectors marks for this company were an eagle over Waa519 as seen int he last photo.

K98Bayonet.jpg

DCP_0379.jpg

DCP_0380.jpg

DCP_0381.jpg

I have been collecting for years I will post some things when I get home,Very nice bayo collection stv40!!:)

First up is a german ww2 marked cz 27 used by the German military in ww2,Also a officers dagger (Heer)

Luftwaffe M40 helmet.

IMG_0761.jpg

This is a Q 68 size M40 ss helmet, I replaced the decal as it was all but gone when I got it.:)

055.jpg

This is a m35 combat police helmet, The liner and chin strap have been replaced:

058.jpg

I will post some more later,Hope you like them.:)

awesome stuff guys. Keep it coming! I'll will try to get some pics of my collection to post next week.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0