• Announcements

• HEAVY265

New Forum Lead!   11/17/2019

It's with great pleasure to announce B2K as the new Forum Lead.   I am very confident he will be good for the forums, he has great ideas and direction for the future of the forums.
      Good luck sir and GOD speed.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Figgy27

Getting a new Computer XD

43 posts in this topic

Oops. Forgot OS. :rolleyes:

I guess then it comes out to $823.47

You said I could just use the old hard drive then correct? Might have to so as to have something left over for games.

Would it be as easy as taking the old hard drive out of my old computer and just sticking it right in my new one?

well you'll need to jumper the old hard drive to the correct position on the cable.

old drives aren't plug and play, but on a good side, the CD/DVD rom your getting is sata (skinny red cable) and not pata (flat wide cable) so that frees up those two spots on your IDE ribbon for hard drives.

make sure you get all the stuff you want to keep off that old drive first though.

I'm gonna send you a pm because we can't talk about this in the open forum.

well you'll need to jumper the old hard drive to the correct position on the cable.

...and that's just about where I lost ya...:D

What exactly does that mean?

Why go for an AMD. This game uses only 1 Core and eats more from the CPU than the GPU. The best to get is a CPU that is fast per clock mhz. AMD looses this by far from intel. The best buy is a i5-750, and clock it to 4000mhz and you have a monster PC.

Check this link to compare

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/120?vs=109

Edited by kalegek

Why go for an AMD. This game uses only 1 Core and eats more from the CPU than the GPU. The best to get is a CPU that is fast per clock mhz. AMD looses this by far from intel. The best buy is a i5-750, and clock it to 4000mhz and you have a monster PC.

Check this link to compare

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/120?vs=109

I can regularly surpass 4.0Ghz on my Phenom II BE X4 955 without a sweat.

Stomps Bud420's i7-920 @ 3.3Ghz by a considerable margin. (he needs a better cooler)

Always have to look at a system as a whole, and not just a specific component to get a good judgement on performance.

I've seen people out there with i7-950's paired with HD 4350 video cards haha.

I specifically recommended an AMD set up because for 800$, he'd of chewed through a considerable amount of his budget just on the mainboard and CPU,

And its better overall if you have a ever so "slightly" slower processor, but you can score faster memory and a Superb graphics card at the same time for the same price. and if he gets that exact processor, a black edition it ought to be able to reach 3.5~3.7Ghz with ease on a stock cooler with the stock voltages so there is still a window for improvement down the road.. but it ought to be a steller performer right out of the box.

As far as the old hard drive and jumpering.

nff87s.jpg

Thats what it will look like, It'll either have a diagram on the top on a label, or say what each pin group is (cable select, Master,Slave)

It's easiest to set it on cable select, so try that first, if that doesn't work then try master or slave. On a IDE cable

(this is what one looks like)

21dqrz6.png

The blue connector is for the mainboard, the white one is master, the black one is slave (ahhaha inside computer racism) so its easy to remember. if the drive is on the white connector, jumper it master, if its on the black connector then jumper it slave.

you can't burn anything up or screw it up by jumpering it wrong, it just won't see it. press DEL to enter your bios then goto your drive list and see if it shows up and says the size and stuff its supposed to.

ought to show up in windows after that.

Edited by indo420

Ok, so the blue one will always be attatched to the motherboard, and either the white or black will be connected to the drive when I open the old computer up? And once I find one that works, the other just kinda dangles there? doesn't need to go into anything?

Ok' date=' so the blue one will always be attatched to the motherboard, and either the white or black will be connected to the drive when I open the old computer up? And once I find one that works, the other just kinda dangles there? doesn't need to go into anything?[/quote']

yup just stays un-used. or you connect it upto another DVD/CD rom or HDD.

Ahh, ok I see how that works now.

The electro-static shock bull**** though still makes me worry. Should I work barefoot and on another floor surface other than carpet? That would totally suck, my dream coming true, and then, *zap* I lose. :mad:

Ahh, ok I see how that works now.

The electro-static shock bull**** though still makes me worry. Should I work barefoot and on another floor surface other than carpet? That would totally suck, my dream coming true, and then, *zap* I lose. :mad:

just touch the chassis really good with your hand before you take them parts out of the package, then just don't really move around w/o discharging yourself again.

whole time i've been messing with computers.... and thats been for awhile, i've only zapped one piece of hardware, a eVGA 6600GT, and it still worked fine. (scared the crap out of me) Just mind your P's and Q's while your putting it together and you'll be fine.

try and handle all the computer parts by the edges, and not the PCB itself, but sometimes you just gotta to fit behemouth video cards in.

hahah wait until you see the size of that 5770 video card.....just wait.

just touch the chassis really good with your hand before you take them parts out of the package, then just don't really move around w/o discharging yourself again.

whole time i've been messing with computers.... and thats been for awhile, i've only zapped one piece of hardware, a eVGA 6600GT, and it still worked fine. (scared the crap out of me) Just mind your P's and Q's while your putting it together and you'll be fine.

try and handle all the computer parts by the edges, and not the PCB itself, but sometimes you just gotta to fit behemouth video cards in.

hahah wait until you see the size of that 5770 video card.....just wait.

K, so don't touch the little metallic lines etched in the board? (if possible)

Anywhere else is preferable to handle it by?

Oops. Forgot OS. :rolleyes:

I guess then it comes out to $823.47

You said I could just use the old hard drive then correct? Might have to so as to have something left over for games.

Would it be as easy as taking the old hard drive out of my old computer and just sticking it right in my new one?

Cut cost by dropping the floppy drive, that's what I did 5 years ago to stay under budget :)

Erik

K, so don't touch the little metallic lines etched in the board? (if possible)

Anywhere else is preferable to handle it by?

yup. you know pretty much just use common sense.

OH OH OH OH

seen this to many flippin times not to mention it to you.

make sure when your putting them mainboard riser screws in the tray, that you DONT PUT A SCREW WHERE THERE ISN'T A HOLE, swear to god i dont know how many times i've seen a brand new beautiful computer ruined because the person put a stand off screw in the wrong spot and it shorted the backside of the mainboard out TKO'ing everything inside.

so make sure you double check all the stand offs are where they should be for your sized mainboard.... you'll know what im talking about when you get there.

I can regularly surpass 4.0Ghz on my Phenom II BE X4 955 without a sweat.

Stomps Bud420's i7-920 @ 3.3Ghz by a considerable margin. (he needs a better cooler)

Always have to look at a system as a whole, and not just a specific component to get a good judgement on performance.

I've seen people out there with i7-950's paired with HD 4350 video cards haha.

I specifically recommended an AMD set up because for 800$, he'd of chewed through a considerable amount of his budget just on the mainboard and CPU,

And its better overall if you have a ever so "slightly" slower processor, but you can score faster memory and a Superb graphics card at the same time for the same price. and if he gets that exact processor, a black edition it ought to be able to reach 3.5~3.7Ghz with ease on a stock cooler with the

A 4Ghz CPU from AMD is not a even close to a intel i-7/ i-5 4Ghz.

You can buy a good GPU for this game but you wont notice much differencel. because of the Full load of 1 core or 50% of 2. This game cant split tasks. the Cpu is the bottleneck in this game. In other games an amd cpu is good enough.

A 4Ghz CPU from AMD is not a even close to a intel i-7/ i-5 4Ghz.

You can buy a good GPU for this game but you wont notice much differencel. because of the Full load of 1 core or 50% of 2. This game cant split tasks. the Cpu is the bottleneck in this game. In other games an amd cpu is good enough.

Lol go work for DELL for 4 years HP 2 and a half years, get employed by YUM foods international, and have more certifications then you can fit behind the wall on your desk at work then we can talk.

3dmark 2006

My phenom II X4 955 @ 3.991Ghz =5312

Bud420's Core i7 920 @ 3.3Ghz = 5387

Edited by indo420

I'm sorry, this feels like the 100th question :D

I was doing more research about electrostatic shocks, and it actually says in multiple sites how you can damage a part, without knowing it, so that a few months later it'll act funny, give you blue screens, ect.

Could you kindly explain indo how you would go about opening up your computer and putting parts in? Specifically, how to stop ESD? What's your preffered surface to work on? Do you always have to keep your hand touching the chasis at all times while working to stay grounded? Stuff like that...

I feel like I'm over-worrying myself about this, but at the same time that phrase "better safe than ****ed," keeps popping into my head....

Static electricity builds up when you move so if you're standing still after you touched the case and lets say a radiator the chance of doing any damage is slim since you won't build any new static.

You can always get one of those anti-static wristbands and attach it to the case while you're working, then you won't need to think much about it. They're dirt cheap.

I do my mounting on my kitchen table. It's a little bit low but works well for me. Ideal height is probably to do it on a normal workbench height, about 90cm, but that all depends on how tall you are yourself of course!

I've never been extremely cautious with static, I've just held the case with one hand and the radiator in that room with the other before assembly and never had any problem.

Lol go work for DELL for 4 years HP 2 and a half years, get employed by YUM foods international, and have more certifications then you can fit behind the wall on your desk at work then we can talk.

3dmark 2006

My phenom II X4 955 @ 3.991Ghz =5312

Bud420's Core i7 920 @ 3.3Ghz = 5387

700Mhz difference. 4Ghz for a 920 is no problem.

The i5-750 has the same clock speeds. Only misses HT and tripple memory.

4000Mhz AMD = 25-30% slower than a 4000Mhz Intel

For the same price.

Good luck with certifications.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0