Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
firefly7

New computer problem...

12 posts in this topic

Already spent a bunch of time asking someone else about this, but figured I might as well ask here too, so here's the short and sweet:

We bought new computer to replace older one, and while setting it up, we realized that the cord going from the monitor to the computer had a plug with no correct outlet on the computer.

The monitor is Dell, and the computer is a prebuilt from iBuypower (bought on TigerDirect.com)

We looked at our old computer, and the socket for the plug (VGA im assuming) existed, but on the iBuypower one it simply does not.

Here's some pictures:

The top back part of new computer:

Import1157.jpg

Plug from monitor:

Import1159.jpg

Bottom back part of new computer, to the right of red socket are spaces, on far right (I think) is where the monitor plug socket is on the old computer.

Import1154.jpg

Any help is extremely appreciated.. and hopefully we don't have to send anything back :(

Thanks

The red connector further down is DVI. You need a DVI to VGA adapter, or if your monitor has a DVI port a straight up DVI cable. The adapter should be 5 or 10 dollars, a cheap DVI cable should be 15 or 20.

I believe there are different flavors of DVI so take that picture with you when shopping the right cable or adapter.

Based on the wikipedia DVI entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

Looks like you have DVI-I.

Here you go:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812226014&cm_re=dvi-i-_-12-226-014-_-Product

5 bucks at newegg.

Edited by oneskunk

BTW the next connector to the right of the DVI jack looks like HDMI. That would let you run your computer on most any modern flat panel TV if you have one. You just need an HDMI cable. I get 25' HDMI cables on eBay for $20 or $25.

Don't bother with Monster cables for $70 or $80 for 6' cables. IMO they're not worth it.

ah thanks so much, we're going to radioshack tomorrow, will take pictures, and write some of the stuff you said down.

monitor is Dell ST2010 20" HD

such a relief that we don't have to return it and get a new one

Sounds good. I looked that monitor up and it looks like it's only got a vga and an hdmi connection.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Displays/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-8326

So you could run it with a straight up hdmi cable but you'll find even short ones can be expensive. I'd go with the adapter, DVI-I Male and VGA female connectors. Radio Shack can be a little more pricey, might be $15 or $20. And then later if you feel like it you can look online for an inexpensive hdmi cable. If you have trouble finding an adapter let me know. They tend to send them with all the computers we get at my company and we usually end up tossing them. I'm in MD, could send you one on Monday.

Yep, checked picture on newegg with the socket, looks like it would be a perfect fit.

No need for the cable though, not gonna be playing on TV.

Thanks again :)

I have about 3 or 5 of those adapters lying around on my desk right now. I got 2 of them from my last video card I bought and the others were from the other video cards I have bought.

Radioshack only had DVI-As, and maybe a DVI-D or somin, so we went ahead and ordered the Newegg one.

Should be here tomorrow or Tuesday... im itching to set this thing up lol

Radioshack only had DVI-As, and maybe a DVI-D or somin, so we went ahead and ordered the Newegg one.

Should be here tomorrow or Tuesday... im itching to set this thing up lol

yea one has pins for a 4+1 audio channel (that cluster of pins off to the side)

the other doesn't and is strictly video, but its a really old feature that never took off and ended up incorporated in HDMI.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0