Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
malize

X15, Madurai...have you noticed the small flattop?

8 posts in this topic

If X15 is still at the Hornet he can use the bigeyes and look across the bay, amongst the piers south of ATT Park I saw today...

The pre-positioning ship that's been there for a year right by the park.

What looks like one of the hospital ships south of that.

Some form of small flat top, parked on an east-west pier with numerous working tents on the flight deck. Looks to have Euro-style radar domes on the island.

Preliminary findings: in this haze, it's hard to tell there is an opposite side to the Bay. It'll have to wait until tomorrow.

Preliminary findings: in this haze' date=' it's hard to tell there [i']is an opposite side to the Bay. It'll have to wait until tomorrow.

The hospital ship is confirmed as the Mercy, she's undergoing a refit which supposedly was going to be done in march.

The carrier is of the small straight-deck variety, and as I said has a prominent radar dome forward-ish on the island. If it has a ski jump it is not very extreme, however the bow is pointed toward the bay. This ship has been there since last baseball season.

Through binocs, I could find the usual MSC ships based there, but no sign of the mystery ship. The BAE Ship Systems Repair San Francisco website was not helpful, either.

ex-USS Tripoli (LPH-10), the big tents are hangers that house target missiles before they're launched off the deck to be intercepted by THAAD. The Army/MDA used to have her at Mare Island for years before shifting to Pier 80.

And an interesting note, her tug of choice is ex-USNS Narragansett (T-ATF-167), now owned by NAVAIR and leased to a commercial company.

ex-USS Tripoli (LPH-10), the big tents are hangers that house target missiles before they're launched off the deck to be intercepted by THAAD. The Army/MDA used to have her at Mare Island for years before shifting to Pier 80.

And an interesting note, her tug of choice is ex-USNS Narragansett (T-ATF-167), now owned by NAVAIR and leased to a commercial company.

Sure enough - tripoligreen_1.jpg that's the one.

Interesting...unless they've given her a new USAV name -- she doesn't show up in the online port logs. I'm sure the recorded USAV tugs are involved in moving her, but they don't report the big slab of metal.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0