• Announcements

• HEAVY265

New Forum Lead!   11/17/2019

It's with great pleasure to announce B2K as the new Forum Lead.   I am very confident he will be good for the forums, he has great ideas and direction for the future of the forums.
      Good luck sir and GOD speed.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ZeroAce

Tips for improving FPS?

33 posts in this topic

Have we gotten to the point yet where Win7 gives better performance than XP? I've been clinging to XP because of compatibility with games, but I feel like there's a lot of more modern enhancements I may be missing.

Note: I only use Windows for gaming, so I have no reason to upgrade other than gaming performance. If it's still buggy and causes problems, it's not worth it.

V-Sync off. Simple' date=' but very efficient. In fact, i turn this off in any game, ur eye wont see the difference and u add many Fps.[/quote']

So much fail.

Basic explanation of how your graphics system works:

Your card produces the images you will see on the game and stores them in its memory (buffer) - the FPS you see is how many images it is creating each second. The more you have, the smoother, right?

Wrong.

Your monitor refresh rate (Hz) is the MAXIMUM amount of frames your monitor can deliver per second.

60hz is usual, 120 with newer monitors.

Your graphics card produces 120 frames per second, your monitor can only display 60. So what happens to the other 60?

They get thrown away and replaced with the next set of 120.

What does this mean? Your graphics card is working overtime to display something you can't see. This will actually cause you to have artifacts (tearing, jagged edges) and stutters.

Turn on vsync and triple buffering and it will lock your graphics card to a maximum amount of frames=your monitor's refresh rate. What does this mean? Once your card finishes the 60 frames for the next second instead of generating 60 more that it will discard it automatically starts working on the next second instead.

Result: smoother performance at a stable FPS that doesn't suddenly jump up and down.

Have we gotten to the point yet where Win7 gives better performance than XP? I've been clinging to XP because of compatibility with games, but I feel like there's a lot of more modern enhancements I may be missing.

Note: I only use Windows for gaming, so I have no reason to upgrade other than gaming performance. If it's still buggy and causes problems, it's not worth it.

I'm wondering the same thing and hope someone tests it.

I am faced with the prospect of either reinstalling XP 32 bit, or paying hundreds of dollars to upgrade to Win7 64.

The later may give me DX10 and 11, but it will also likely break compatibility with many more things.

Win7 is much better than Vista in every possible way. Though, when it comes to most games the best is still XP 32-bit.

So much fail.

Basic explanation of how your graphics system works:

Your card produces the images you will see on the game and stores them in its memory (buffer) - the FPS you see is how many images it is creating each second. The more you have, the smoother, right?

Wrong.

Your monitor refresh rate (Hz) is the MAXIMUM amount of frames your monitor can deliver per second.

60hz is usual, 120 with newer monitors.

Your graphics card produces 120 frames per second, your monitor can only display 60. So what happens to the other 60?

They get thrown away and replaced with the next set of 120.

What does this mean? Your graphics card is working overtime to display something you can't see. This will actually cause you to have artifacts (tearing, jagged edges) and stutters.

Turn on vsync and triple buffering and it will lock your graphics card to a maximum amount of frames=your monitor's refresh rate. What does this mean? Once your card finishes the 60 frames for the next second instead of generating 60 more that it will discard it automatically starts working on the next second instead.

Result: smoother performance at a stable FPS that doesn't suddenly jump up and down.

So should I force this from Nvidia Control Panel or within game?

It doesn't matter, the effect should be the same.

Triple buffering is a gfx driver setting though, you can't set that inside the game.

I noticed I had forgotten th change the compatibility mode for the executables. With 1.30 I had them set to Vista SP2 to not have the mouse pointer freeze.

After installing 1.31 (I just installed it over the old, didn't uninstall or anything) everything worked and I had satisfying framerates, even though they felt lower than they did in beta.

So, I remembered the settings so I went in for each executable and removed any compatibility settings and behold, my framerates went sky high, they almost doubled across the board!

So, for anyone with windows 7 that experience low framerates, have a look at the compatibility settings, it should be unchecked.

I noticed I had forgotten th change the compatibility mode for the executables. With 1.30 I had them set to Vista SP2 to not have the mouse pointer freeze.

After installing 1.31 (I just installed it over the old, didn't uninstall or anything) everything worked and I had satisfying framerates, even though they felt lower than they did in beta.

So, I remembered the settings so I went in for each executable and removed any compatibility settings and behold, my framerates went sky high, they almost doubled across the board!

So, for anyone with windows 7 that experience low framerates, have a look at the compatibility settings, it should be unchecked.

Munchkin, You saved my playability! :D

This fix made my FPS go from unplayable 8-25fps to 40-100fps!

I was running Vista compatibility mode on Windows 7...lol.

CRS should sticky this fix.

S!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0