• Announcements

• CHIMM

Operation Burning Skies   09/17/2019

All pilots scramble!  Strap yourself in for this months Community event - Operation Burning Skies! This Sunday, September 22, 11 am – 5 pm server time. In honor of XOOM and friends showcasing WWII Online at the Oregon International  Air Show – our forces too will battle for superiority in Operation Burning Skies. High Commands are on high alert to rally their forces to victory! Lift off, and see a whole new world of WWII Online… Fearless bomber pilots make the skies rain down fire – our daring fighter pilots are in pursuit of their prey- as western Europe erupts in war on the ground below! Rally your squads, rally your buddies - Combined arms are back!  …Under Burning Skies! SALUTE!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
captken

Refund?

27 posts in this topic

Ok,

I have a MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz with 2 GB or RAM and a GeForce 8600M GT. I did have Tiger 10.4.1, but just for this game I spent $120 to get 10.5.6 Leopard.

I recently had been out of game for school reasons, and in the summer I decided to resubscribe. Not a week later 1.31 comes out and now this game is unplayable for me. My question is will there be a refund (or a prorated refund) for those of us who just got forced out of the market? On the lowest setting with the Mac on its highest, this game is unplayable to me. Just looking at a town, a field base, or even another player makes me skip uncontrollably, like a bad VHS tape. I have consulted with every Mac person I know and can find no reason why this is happening. I feel as if I was ignored as a Mac person to begin with, since the map bug has existed forever with apparently no cares at CRS. I had no clue 1.31 was coming out (since I was away as I mentioned) and if I had I would not have re-subbed until after I tried it.

So where does this leave me?

Have you changed the settings in game to select 'best performance'?

And perhaps lower your resolution a tad in the settings dialog that is below the 'play offline' option out of the game?

Bit unrealistic for you to demand a refund when it is your responsibility to ensure that your machine is up to spec.

Have you changed the settings in game to select 'best performance'?

And perhaps lower your resolution a tad in the settings dialog that is below the 'play offline' option out of the game?

Not sure if he is going to get that video card to work.. CRS has never really supported mobile video cards.. Hopefully he can get it worked out somehow but without a hardware upgrade, I'm not sure it will happen.

CRS has been pumping as much information out in email and on the forums as possible plus had a 6 month beta program.. I cant see how you can point the finger at CRS for ignoring you when you werent here. CRS was upfront in what system specs were required for 1.31..

Bit unrealistic for you to demand a refund when it is your responsibility to ensure that your machine is up to spec.

Actually I didnt command anything I asked.

Actually my machine is up to min. Spec. so whats your point? I meet or exceed all the min. Specs

CRS has been pumping as much information out in email and on the forums as possible plus had a 6 month beta program.. I cant see how you can point the finger at CRS for ignoring you when you werent here. CRS was upfront in what system specs were required for 1.31..

And CRS has been informing me, but I meet all of their "requirements", and they ignored requests for bug fixes when I was here...I guess I just have the wrong game.

Actually my machine is up to min. Spec. so whats your point? I meet or exceed all the min. Specs

http://wiki.wwiionline.com/index.php/System_requirements

Minimum System Requirements

Note: "Minimum" does NOT mean you will get good performance. But the game should load.

Windows OS: Windows XP/Vista /Windows 7

or

Macintosh OS: OSX 10.6/OSX 10.5

Processor: Pentium 4 3.2 GHz or Athlon 64 3500+ or better with SSE 2.0 support

Memory: 2GB

Hard Drive: 3 GB Free

Sound: on-board or better

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 series or ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro or better* discreet GPU with * 256 MB VRAM and Shader Model 3.0*

Please install the latest drivers from your graphics card manufacturer!

Broadband Internet Connection

Integrated graphics hardware is not supported

You have just about minimum specs on every point and also have an integrated graphics card.. I'm not sure how you will avoid the poor performance..

I guess I will avoid it by not playing this game...who can afford to upgrade for this crap game anyhow. And no with this game nothing guarantees it will even load, 3 times out of 4, so far, it fails to even load.

Is there an real help or is it more just everyone telling me it can't be done?

You have just about minimum specs on every point and also have an integrated graphics card.. I'm not sure how you will avoid the poor performance..

Intergrated graphics card is one built into the motherboard. His is a nVidia card, which isn't intergrated, but is a mobile card.

However you video card is not up to scratch, since the minimum requirements say you need an 8600 or better, and yours is the far underpowered mobile version. You do not actually meet the minimum requirements, so unless you can do something strange like serverely overclock your GPU then you won't be able to fix the problem.

If you want a refund contact bloo@playnet.com.

However I have been supporting this version for nearly two years, often for nothing, so saying "I feel as if I was ignored as a Mac person to begin with" is not true. I put out tons of information in this forum (would do more but I was asked not to).

I managed to get the app to run on most of the wimpy iMac video cards, but no one seemed to have a 8600M so I heard nothing of it. THat card is about 50% of the speed of a desktop 8600GT which itself is minimum spec, and Apple's implementation on that older MBP is pretty underpowered. 2GB is also a bit minimal especially under SL.

I'm sorry you can't play but the info was here all along and asking is free.

This version moved the app into the modern era and marginal or submarginal systems on both Mac and PC have to be left behind at some point.

Edited by AHWULF

This version moved the app into the modern era and marginal or submarginal systems on both Mac and PC have to be left behind at some point.

I have a machine that is less than 3 years old...that is marginal? Or worse yet your customers are marginal? This wasn't meant as an attack on you...but on CRS and playnet. I screamed and .reported and forumed all about the mac map bug and how it really killed enjoyment, and me many times, and yet nothing. So I am sorry that this company can't or doesn't pay you properly, and maybe the info was there, but we are not all programmers. Not to mention it crashes 3 out of 4 loads, thats ridiculous isn't it?

I had NO idea that a 8600 in a laptop was 1/2 the power, and no one mentioned it. I DID ask if 1.31 would run on my machine, everyone online answered yes, I unfortunately could not afford 10.5.6 to test it in beta so I had no clue. None the less I can see where this is going so I will write to bloo and see what happens.

Edited by captken

I have a machine that is less than 3 years old...that is marginal? Or worse yet your customers are marginal? This wasn't meant as an attack on you...but on CRS and playnet. I screamed and .reported and forumed all about the mac map bug and how it really killed enjoyment, and me many times, and yet nothing. So I am sorry that this company can't or doesn't pay you properly, and maybe the info was there, but we are not all programmers. Not to mention it crashes 3 out of 4 loads, thats ridiculous isn't it?

I had NO idea that a 8600 in a laptop was 1/2 the power, and no one mentioned it. I DID ask if 1.31 would run on my machine, everyone online answered yes, I unfortunately could not afford 10.5.6 to test it in beta so I had no clue. None the less I can see where this is going so I will write to bloo and see what happens.

I hope your able to work something out captken.. The only posts I see you have in references to 1.31 started 5 days ago.. I think it was just wrong and unfair that you said that you are "ignored as a Mac person" when we Mac users here have been providing feedback to ahwulf and CRS for a while now..

http://wiki.wwiionline.com/index.php/System_requirements

Minimum System Requirements

Note: "Minimum" does NOT mean you will get good performance. But the game should load.

Windows OS: Windows XP/Vista /Windows 7

or

Macintosh OS: OSX 10.6/OSX 10.5

Processor: Pentium 4 3.2 GHz or Athlon 64 3500+ or better with SSE 2.0 support

Memory: 2GB

Hard Drive: 3 GB Free

Sound: on-board or better

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 series or ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro or better* discreet GPU with * 256 MB VRAM and Shader Model 3.0*

Please install the latest drivers from your graphics card manufacturer!

Broadband Internet Connection

Pro 2.2 GHz with 2 GB or RAM

2.2GHZ is not "just about" a 3.2GHz chip.

Mobility cards are not even nearly as powerful as their desktop counterparts, so if you have a mobile version of a desktop card that barely meets requirements, you ain't got much to work with.

I think everybody wants you to be able to play the game.

I spent lots of time researching my current computer, looking at video card specs etc. To the very end I was unsure of exactly how good the game would play on what ever I bought. And I hated that doubt.

I ended up buying a new computer, it was a hard decision, but I was ready for one anyways. I know what it's like to play on a very slow

computer, mine used to get 15 fps and in battle it went down to 4 or so.

Turning off the HUD helped a little.

I hope you find a solution that meets your needs and hope to

see you on the battlefied someday. Good luck.

Asking online isn't terribly useful for a Mac person, since most of them are PC users. Laptop graphics cards weren't even officially supported in 1.30 on PCs even though some worked. That the 2600HD and 9400M can play 131 is a miracle; I never thought they would work. The 8600GT desktop version is minimum so people probably thought that was what you had.

CRS is not a big company and pay me for specific contracts and a little to keep the mac version going. Hopefully soon they will have more income; its not that they don't want to. In the olden days the Mac did get short shrift which is why I started working. Currently without my assistance there would be no Mac version at all. The good news is that 99% of the "mac" only issues are solved so its not hard to keep up. I have one weird problem currently awaiting Apple help.

Crashing on spawn is a bug affected both platforms and seems to be random and only affects a small number of Mac players, but many more PC.

Unlucky, at best. CRS has to move on at some point, the fact you didn't realize the new minimum specs isn't their fault. This is a constantly upgrading game, at some point, someone is going to be technically left behind if they don't upgrade their computers once in a while. Unfortunately, you should have figured that out before you bought it. That's your responsibility, to know what you're buying.

I understand if you think you're not at fault, but i don't see how CRS is at fault.

It's only 15 bucks anyway.

Asking online isn't terribly useful for a Mac person, since most of them are PC users. Laptop graphics cards weren't even officially supported in 1.30 on PCs even though some worked. That the 2600HD and 9400M can play 131 is a miracle; I never thought they would work. The 8600GT desktop version is minimum so people probably thought that was what you had.

CRS is not a big company and pay me for specific contracts and a little to keep the mac version going. Hopefully soon they will have more income; its not that they don't want to. In the olden days the Mac did get short shrift which is why I started working. Currently without my assistance there would be no Mac version at all. The good news is that 99% of the "mac" only issues are solved so its not hard to keep up. I have one weird problem currently awaiting Apple help.

Crashing on spawn is a bug affected both platforms and seems to be random and only affects a small number of Mac players, but many more PC.

What's the weird problem I used to work for Apple :)?

What's the weird problem I used to work for Apple :)?

Me too, but getting help during WWDC is pointless :-)

Real memory grows and grows and grows to as much as 2.6GB but the actual zone usage never gets about 1.2GB.

there is a new option i saw in preferences, not sure which tab or where, but somewhere there is an option for 'low memory machines' or something like that. i think it is for 2 meg memory or less machines, clicking the box for this setting may get a few extra fps. though sounds like more than just a low fps problem for you.

It won't affect FPS but it will allow for play if you have only 2GB. I think the option is more for PC's which have a hard VM limit.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0