Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gman13

Overclocking your processor???

51 posts in this topic

Have seen where many articles state that this game more than any seems to depend on your processor speed than anything else. With this i am a complete noob, have never had a need to do this, but if it means gaining some much needed fps (as were all having trouble doing that) i'm willing to overclock my processor a tad, nothing crazy. But problem is, i'm in the dark about this overclocking, is there a "easy way" or some kind of software or tool out there that can do this for you relatively easy, need some serious input on this matter & hopefully the easiest way to achieve it.

Go to your motherboard manufacturers website and see if they're are any tools or dicussions going on about your particular motherboard and overclocking it. Or google it. Overclocking is board dependent and CPU dependent.

For my system I have an EVGA X58 board with an i7 920 Quad @ 4.0Ghz, the overclock helps a lot in FPS. I'm still trying to figure out the best parameters for 1.31 though.

P-

There is NO reason whatsoever to be overclocking any dual-core or quad-core CPU for this game. Unless you enjoy CTD's, than have at it. Overclocking was really made for single CPU's but with Dual-Core you litterally have 2 CPU's sharing the load. Quad-core is 4

There's a rule called "Moores Law" that CPU clock rates cannot go higher that a certain rate. So multi-cores share the load.

A quad core can run WWIIOL while doing some Photoshop editing and maybe doing some recording with Protools.

It aint the CPU people, it's the GPU, the RAM, the connectivity and the hard drive that are the main culprits for onlne gamers.

Overclocking aint going to do doodie for you with this game.

Edited by dunlop

Actually made a huge difference for me.

Not sure I follow your logic above, the game actually runs on a single core. If you have single core, dual core, or quad doesn't make a difference but how fast a single core clocks does. This game has always been very CPU intensive in my experience no matter how much RAM or GPU power I've thrown at it, the single biggest difference I've experienced was from overclocking....

My system:

RAM : 6GB (Game relies on single thread w/ max 2GB of memory)

CPU : i7 920 overclocked to 4.0Ghz

HDD : 2 160GB Intel X-25 SSDs in RAID0

GPU : Nvidia 280GTX

Of the above the CPU overclock made the single biggest difference in FPS game performance. The SSDs only on load time.

On your comment regarding CTDs -- If you're CTD'ing because of an overclock it's because you have an unstable overclock. I rarely if ever have CTDs in the game - I've been running at 4.0Ghz stable for over a year.

P-

Edited by piercer

There is NO reason whatsoever to be overclocking any dual-core or quad-core CPU for this game. Unless you enjoy CTD's, than have at it. Overclocking was really made for single CPU's but with Dual-Core you litterally have 2 CPU's sharing the load. Quad-core is 4

There's a rule called "Moores Law" that CPU clock rates cannot go higher that a certain rate. So multi-cores share the load.

A quad core can run WWIIOL while doing some Photoshop editing and maybe doing some recording with Protools.

It aint the CPU people, it's the GPU, the RAM, the connectivity and the hard drive that are the main culprits for onlne gamers.

not true...

this game likes faster CPU more then faster GPU

how many cores makes NO DIFFERENCE...faster is always faster

I'd have to rebenchmark the game at the lower setting to quantify it but it gave across teh board FPS improvement for me...took me just booting into the bios changing 1 setting and INSTANT 500Mhz gain in processor speed for me. Stable enough to run all night playing so far...don't forsee any problems longterm either.

Edited by Vampress

The game is A) not multithreaded

B) very cpu intensive

Therefore overclocking will increase performance. Happy to help.

You have no idea what you're talking about. There is a HUGE benefit from overclocking on all accounts. I don't know where you get that shared load and that clocks cannot go higher than this or that from but it's pure BS,

Overclocking done right doesn't cause any CTD's or failures either. If it does than it hasn't been done right. A good overclock runs just as stable as the stock and you get the increase in performance for ALL cores separately.

You need to read up a bit more...

Of course, since this game isn't multithreaded you will only gain the increase from one core but other games that does use all cores shows huge benefits from overclocking.

Edited by munchkin

The game is A) not multithreaded

B) very cpu intensive

Therefore overclocking will increase performance. Happy to help.

As to a) there are indications that the game may be multithreaded with 1.31

I need to find out for sure.

As for the guy talking about moore's law, that isn't at all what Moore was talking about or even implying.

It seems the Core i7 hardware finds a way to split the load despite the game not actually being multithreaded.

Either that or it's pointlessly replicating the processes.

Performance definitely drops when it's limited to 2 or 1 thread though.

I've heard, though I haven't tried it some folks have experienced better performance with hyperthreading off on the i7 - Though I leave it on because I'm running Windows 7/64.

P-

Have seen where many articles state that this game more than any seems to depend on your processor speed than anything else. With this i am a complete noob' date=' have never had a need to do this, but if it means gaining some much needed fps (as were all having trouble doing that) i'm willing to overclock my processor a tad, nothing crazy. But problem is, i'm in the dark about this overclocking, is there a "easy way" or some kind of software or tool out there that can do this for you relatively easy, need some serious input on this matter & hopefully the easiest way to achieve it.[/quote']

easiest way is raising the front side bus speed in the bios.

CPU speed is Front side bus speed X multiplier = CPU speed

so 200x12= 2,400mhz or 2.4Ghz

easiest way is raising the front side bus speed in the bios.

CPU speed is Front side bus speed X multiplier = CPU speed

so 200x12= 2,400mhz or 2.4Ghz

Not how it works if you have an i7.

You can only change the BCLK.

Many mobos have a utility that allow simple overclocking.

For example I have a Gigabyte X58 board and have a utility that allows a low medium or high overclock and changes the settigns for you.

Just reboot your done. Easiest way if your unsure

And yes on my I7 CPU 1 and 3 are in constant use of 30 - 50% with peaks of 90 and 100 on one CPU sometimes.

My bottleneck was definitly the CPU looking throught Performances monitor.

If you are enough willing ; go into your BIOS, enabled CPU overcloaking, set it to manual and raise values a little. Enabled your CPU overheating alarm. Save & exit. Computer could close by itself. Normal.

See the difference in game. Mine was great.

I have a dual core 2.2ghz which peaked at 100% before and my Windows7 / Asus motherboard was able to manage it at 2.7 ghz. Real improvement.

If you are overheating, set your fans to high from the BIOS or reduce values or open the case.

Disclaimer : if you burn your CPU, i'm not responsible. ;)

Actually, Moore's law says nothing about clock speeds. Moore's Law is the observation that the number of transistors that can be placed on an integrated circuit in an 'inexpensive' way doubles every month.

That said, this game draws very heavily on the CPU, and if you can overclock safely, you may get a bit of extra performance, although don't count on more than 10% or so. And, there is an outside chance that you may fry your CPU, even if you know exactly what you are doing.

For that matter, you may find a better performance gain in getting a good hardware-based sounds card, like a Creative Labs X-Fi, or Audigy / Audigy 2. As far as I am aware, they will pull a fair amount of the processing for the directional sound off the CPU.

Not how it works if you have an i7.

You can only change the BCLK.

isn't the base clock the front side bus speed?

swore it was crystal clock x multiplier = front side bus speed x multiplier = cpu speed.

like 25x8=200x12=2400

hell all i did on bud's i7 was raise the FSB speed, but they've got those new unlocked i7's so maybe its different on his.

Actually, Moore's law says nothing about clock speeds. Moore's Law is the observation that the number of transistors that can be placed on an integrated circuit in an 'inexpensive' way doubles every month.

That said, this game draws very heavily on the CPU, and if you can overclock safely, you may get a bit of extra performance, although don't count on more than 10% or so. And, there is an outside chance that you may fry your CPU, even if you know exactly what you are doing.

For that matter, you may find a better performance gain in getting a good hardware-based sounds card, like a Creative Labs X-Fi, or Audigy / Audigy 2. As far as I am aware, they will pull a fair amount of the processing for the directional sound off the CPU.

Moore's Law actually states that the number of transistors that can be placed inexpensively on an IC doubles every two years, not every month. And it will hold true until about 2015.

Moore's Law actually states that the number of transistors that can be placed inexpensively on an IC doubles every two years' date=' not every month. And it will hold true until about 2015.[/quote']

Errr, typo. Meant 18 months :)

Errr' date=' typo. Meant 18 months :)[/quote']

no worries. I'm jsut hoping we get someothing else to replace silicon tech by the time we hit the wall.

no worries. I'm jsut hoping we get someothing else to replace silicon tech by the time we hit the wall.

Diamond.

already being "grown", and its surpast even the highest grade of gem quality.

http://www.gemesis.com/

http://www.apollodiamond.com/

A competitor to Gemesis, Apollo Diamond, has struck upon an entirely different process that makes diamonds using a plasma-based diffusion method (see our previous coverage). Diamond “sheets” and “bricks” are precipitated one atom at a time, yielding diamond substrates so pure as to be chemically perfect, exceeding even the most perfect natural stones ever found. Diamond wafers nearly 90 mm in diameter are expected within a few years, with production costs at or below that of conventional silicon.

Read more: http://www.geek.com/articles/chips/81ghz-diamond-semiconductor-created-20030827/#ixzz0qRc5Qqx3

i have some questions for you overclock guru's. my system is an AMD 64x2 65nm clocked @2.7. in my cmos i have the ability to change my base clock speed as well as my clock multiplyer.

i googled frequency multiplyer and found an article in the wiki. it tells me that changing the base clock has an effect on my system memory and its clock speed. if i go too high with my base clock it will cause the memory to error and you have to change the memory clock speed when you go up high with the base clock.

it also says that upping the multiplyer will increase overall speed without effecting the other clocks. my cmos says i can have a maximum of 13.5x on my multiplyer. it also has settings for my clock memory (dont remember the values). my memory is corsair ddr2 @ 800.

please explain

i have some questions for you overclock guru's. my system is an AMD 64x2 65nm clocked @2.7. in my cmos i have the ability to change my base clock speed as well as my clock multiplyer.

i googled frequency multiplyer and found an article in the wiki. it tells me that changing the base clock has an effect on my system memory and its clock speed. if i go too high with my base clock it will cause the memory to error and you have to change the memory clock speed when you go up high with the base clock.

it also says that upping the multiplyer will increase overall speed without effecting the other clocks. my cmos says i can have a maximum of 13.5x on my multiplyer. it also has settings for my clock memory (dont remember the values). my memory is corsair ddr2 @ 800.

please explain

well some AMD processors have unlocked multipliers, these are "black editions"

if you can do that then thats the best possible way to overclock, but sometimes you need to raise your FSB speeds to still achieve a higher overclock, sometimes the ratio/FSB can be set to high and it just won't work.

I hit a barrier at 3.5Ghz on my 955 with a multiplier of 18.5 or something, so i had to back off the multiplier and raise the FSB speed...currently sitting at 3.712Ghz

if you have to increase your base clock (front side bus to me ) then you can change your FSB:MEM ratio (i forgot the exact name)

but it'll be like 1:1, 1:2, 1:4, 1:3:6, 1:4:8 and so on.

find the base clock you need to achieve your overclock, then adjust your FSB:MEM ratio as needed to keep your memory with in spec. it'll be in that same menu in the bios.

So you may need to drop your memory's speed (via the ratio) from DDR-1600 back down to DDR-1333, then raising the bus speed you'll raise the speed

of your memory back to DDR-1600 and still achieve the CPU overclock you need.

MAKE SURE YOU DISABLE "SPREAD SPECTRUM" that is critically important for a stable overclock, SS adjusts the peaks and valleys of the cycle to compensate for EMI (electro magnetic interference), but when your overclocking, that can put the processor past what it can do, and result in a freeze or lock up. so if you disable SS, what it is, is what it does.

and pay f@#king attention to how hot your northbridge is getting, and your VR (voltage regulators).... most people burn up there NB or VR's when overclocking goes wrong.

Edited by indo420

I advise you read the proper method to overclock on your board - just google it, there are plenty of forums dedicated to overclocking. As indo mentioned you really need to pay attention to temperatures.

That said, here is the typical methodology:

1) Download LinX for stress testing your CPU

2) Google around and find out the max core temp of your CPU

3) Backup your system

4) First, remove the memory from the overclock equation. That is increase the ratio so that the memory speed is much lower than spec, it usually doesn't matter how low you set it as long as the speed is under-spec you'll be fine.

5) Increase the FSB speed so that it increases the CPU clock up 50Mhz (usually when you first start overclocking from the CPU base you have about 100Mhz/200Mhz or more of headroom before you have to do anything else).

6) Run LinX, click on 'All' next to the 'Memory to use:' section on the main window. Run it for 5 iterations. Make sure you note how HOT your CPU is running (download speedfan or similar temp monitoring software RealTemp is another).

7) If it runs for 5 iterations with no errors and your computer doesn't lock up or crash, and your well within operating temperature range go back to step #4 and do it again.

8) At some point your system is going to lock, or Linx will give you an error. If you're still within reasonable operating temps you can throw a tiny .25v increment to the CPU voltage and try again. Granted though I consider this more serious overclocking territory. Otherwise, back-off about 100Mhz and then run Linx for 30 iterations. If it passes all 30 iterations then you're PROBABLY pretty stable. I say probably because there's a lot of variables, ambient temp being one of them.

9) Go back and change the ratio to put the memory back into spec range.

YMMV - These are the steps I've taken in the past on these types of system. And your doing this at your own risk, these are just guidelines that have worked in the past.

P-

There are different ways to overclock and it depends a lot on what cpu you have.

One thing that noone has mentioned so far though is, you WILL need to increase CPU Voltage when you overclock, otherwise it will never be stable. This is something you just have to try out by trial and error to find what works since each cpu handles overclocking and overvolting differently. There is no other approach.

Also remember that it's the increased voltage that primarily adds more heat.

For people that only has the stock HSF there won't be much headroom to overclock until the temp limit is reached so to get the maximum overclock a better third party cooler will be necessary.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0