Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
aceman8

Just Can't Play

21 posts in this topic

I'm sad to say, but with my current laptop, I simply cannot play the game now. My fps averages 5-10 in towns, with spikes.

I've gone through the threads, tweaked as people suggested, changed settings and experimented for hours, and no luck. Unfortunately, I'm away on active duty for the next several months, and no desktop access until I get home. :mad:

Here's my info:

Dell XPS M1710

Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 2 (32 bit)

BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A07

Processor: Intel Core 2 CPU T7200 @ 2.00GHz (2 CPUs)

Memory: 3326MB RAM

Page File: 1226MB used, 5642MB available

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce Go 7900 GS

Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Chip type: GeForce Go 7900 GS

Display Memory: 1656 MB

Dedicated Memory: 248 MB

Shared Memory: 1407 MB

Description: Speakers / Headphones (SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC)

This is my last attempt to make the game playable while I'm away. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by aceman8

Bump

And I will continue to bump until I get a satisfactory response (similar to that "beatings will continue until morale improves" thingie).

Everyone's best bet is to get me into the game to stop seeing this thread on the first page :)

Lower your resolution and cut down on the eye candy and see if you can find a happy place

there is lots of stuff to do in game that doesn't require the highest levels of resolution

spotter, tower, UMS driver come to mind

run your system CLEAN also with no background stuff going

possibly EXPERIMENT with different video card drivers also...sometimes the latest isn't always the greatest when it comes to drivers

Edited by Vampress

Thanks Vamp.

Been playing with settings a bit now (I tweaked so many things that at one point the load screen looked like a Picaso painting - all dots...)

Does anyone remember the Nvidia Control Panel settings (anti-this and anti-that, etc.)? A lot of my searches are coming up for older patches and conflicting advice...

I'm sad to say, but with my current laptop, I simply cannot play the game now. My fps averages 5-10 in towns, with spikes.

I've gone through the threads, tweaked as people suggested, changed settings and experimented for hours, and no luck. Unfortunately, I'm away on active duty for the next several months, and no desktop access until I get home. :mad:

Here's my info:

Dell XPS M1710

BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A07

Processor: Intel Core 2 CPU T7200 @ 2.00GHz (2 CPUs) - very low

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce Go 7900 GS

Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Chip type: GeForce Go 7900 GS at min spec...barely

Display Memory: 1656 MB

Dedicated Memory: 248 MB - Really, really low

Integrated video cards with shared memory are always a problem and why we have chosen to no longer officially support them (if they work, great).

The game plus operating system can use very nearly two gigs of RAM. If your video uses the 1.6 GB available to it, you're system is out of RAM. If anything else is running the background, it needs to not be running.

On top of that challenge, your video card is at the min spec line in terms of generation of video technology*, but integrated and thus lower performing.

Definitely use the Low Memory Option on the Preferences tab.

You might run some offline benchmark tests with different settings options to see what you'd get when there are no players righting around you:

http://wiki.wwiionline.com/index.php/Benchmark_tests

* http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/graphics-card-geforce-radeon,2646-7.html

Edited by BLOO

Thanks Bloo.

I'm very sad :( I'm going to be forced to get a new laptop to play the game; and it looks like the game doesn't like laptops for the most part...

I'm looking at Newegg now...How's this Asus look?

General
Operating System Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
CPU Type Intel Core i7 720QM(1.6GHz)
Screen 16"
Memory Size 4GB DDR3
Hard Disk 320GB
Optical Drive DVD Super Multi
Graphics Card ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5730
Video Memory 1GB DDR3 VRAM
Communication Gigabit LAN and WLAN
Card slot 1 x Express Card
Dimensions 15.40" x 10.60" x 1.20" - 1.50"
Weight 6.50 lbs.
CPU
CPU Type Intel Core i7
CPU Speed 720QM(1.60GHz)
Chipset
Chipset Intel HM55
Display
Screen Size 16"
Wide Screen Support Yes
Resolution 1366 x 768
LCD Features LED backlight
Operating Systems
Operating System Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Graphics
GPU/VPU ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5730
Video Memory 1GB DDR3 VRAM
Graphic Type Dedicated Card
Hard Drive
HDD 320GB
HDD RPM 7200rpm
Memory
Memory 4GB
Memory Speed DDR3 1066
Memory Type 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM
Memory Slot (Total) 2
Max Memory Supported 8GB

I'd get additional RAM to max it at 8 gigs. These specs are about a grand, and I want to make sure I'll be able to play the game for at least the next major patch or two before spending that kind of money (I'm married and have to justify this). Also, I doubt my desktop at home will be able to support the game, so this may be my primary gaming device.

S!

Hi ace, I have a similar rig to you except I run an AMD processor and have a 7900GT GPU.

I have cut everything in the game pretty much to the core. Don't forget to check the low memory in BE settings.

Anyway, other stuff...

Try running on a lower res. I have a low one and although it hits the appearance a bit it helps a whole lot.

Task manager : shut everything down that has your name against it (not system) except anything with explore or swtray in the text. All that stuff running when you don't need it will hit your fps.

In Control panel/Network connections/Properties uncheck QoS. It is unlikely you will notice any change but it should give a couple of fps back to you.

Uncheck Vsync. This is in your Nvidia control panel under 'Manage 3D settings'. Also turn off most of what you see there ie anisotropic filtering and antialiasing etc. Just make sure you 'SELECT A PROGRAM TO CUSTOMIZE' tab and if BE is not there, then add it, then make the changes. Otherwise, all your programs will be affected.

I got a jump from 8-15 fps to a whopping 25 fps!

The 7900 series cards were only superceded by the 8800 series and even then it was a close call. Don't rush to upgrade yet unless u want the full monty with bells on!

Good luck!

Dan

Edited by dandare9

you want a high core clock on the cpu for this game..

like 2.8Ghz+ the higher the better..

hey aceman

i've assumed you've already updated all your drivers including your chipset?

i'll swoop back through here in a bit and see what i can come up with. been busy as hell with my personal life so sorta don't have the time atm to comb through peoples problems but ill help the best i can.

yeah i think the nvidia 7series can't play this game anymore, i'm going to do a very cheap 40 dollar upgrade to a 8800gt see if it will stop the crashing every other mission thingy...

Indo,

Yeah, I've gone through and did the driver update thing...there's fuzzy math associated with this game...subscription up front, then the upgrading on the back end...ends up costing $1000 a year to play. That should be on the home page.

Indo,

Yeah, I've gone through and did the driver update thing...there's fuzzy math associated with this game...subscription up front, then the upgrading on the back end...ends up costing $1000 a year to play. That should be on the home page.

Yesterdays HIGH END equipment or todays mid range equipment is your friend...

Your doing it wrong if your spending $1000 a year to play the game

'06 was my last system upgrade till now...

BTW I left PRE-BUILT system long behind at the turn of the century...you just don't get as much value with a prebuilt comercial system as one you have designed yourself with an EYE towards a future upgrade path and compatibility with what YOU use your system for. Something as simple as having a nice case with pullout motherboard tray makes things more pleasant...Having picked yuour own high quality power supply and being able to recycle it for the next system is sweet also.

Edited by Vampress

Vamp,

If I were to design my own, any recommendation for sites to buy the parts? Any possible guide re: parts, etc?

i run this game at 30 fps and 10 fps in hard fight or city or forest, 80 fps in air game, but when you see my specs :

AMD athlon 64X2 4200+ at 2.31ghz

2 gig of kingston DDR2 *i think*

XP pro

Nvdia GeForce 7600GT 256mb

and a good model of 21' CRT monitor

I can run this game at low (and some candy eyes option at normal), it is all a matter of optimizing what you have, push it to the limit. Nowaday i see all normal user prefering to buy upgrade rather than pushing through, in 80-90 we didnt have theese option (ol' day when you would do everything gain max free of 256ko memory with autoexec.bat and config.sys). I know my syst is bad, but i could play some recent game like crysis/arma2/COd MW2/il2.

I ll upgrade soon, this syst is already 5 years old, but it can run fine WW2ol stable with alot thing like trackir, and full flight control. Previously in 1.30 i could run the game at 60-100 fps but the shadow & new tree bite hard.

i laugh alot seeing some ppl complain about running this game at inferior fps with far than higher specs :P

I ll snipe you in 88mm at 1-2fps :P

yeah i think the nvidia 7series can't play this game anymore' date=' i'm going to do a very cheap 40 dollar upgrade to a 8800gt see if it will stop the crashing every other mission thingy...[/quote']

you're wrong 7series still can run this game, it is just what differ buying a good brand rather than a generic card, it show at long term

It's all a matter of choise.

Most well built rigs can last a few years and the money well spent will give lots of pleasure for a long time.

However, I know there are others like me that want to be a bit more on the edge. I have no problem to spend money on upgrades continously since I can afford to. I'm sure this rig I have now could last a number of years but I still know that I will upgrade again within the next 6 months because I wan't to keep on the edge.

But if you plan well and build a solid system that costs a little bit extra when you get it, then you shouldn't need to upgrade all the time, it should last 3-4 years without problem. Of course it will be on the limit in the end but still playable. So, there's no need to spend $1000 each year, definately not..

Jawk & Munchkin the problem is, the thread is about LapTops....:rolleyes:

Edited by RiffRaff

I know that. My comment wasn't about that. But yes, for those who will fight with laptops only it will cost a bunch each year. I've never understood why really.. but that's another story.

Integrated video cards with shared memory are always a problem and why we have chosen to no longer officially support them (if they work, great).

The game plus operating system can use very nearly two gigs of RAM. If your video uses the 1.6 GB available to it, you're system is out of RAM. If anything else is running the background, it needs to not be running.

On top of that challenge, your video card is at the min spec line in terms of generation of video technology*, but integrated and thus lower performing.

Definitely use the Low Memory Option on the Preferences tab.

You might run some offline benchmark tests with different settings options to see what you'd get when there are no players righting around you:

http://wiki.wwiionline.com/index.php/Benchmark_tests

* http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/graphics-card-geforce-radeon,2646-7.html

I just had a quick look on Dells site.

The M1710 only has two config options 256 and 512

Doesn't look like shared memory at all.

http://www.dell.com/us/en/dfh/notebooks/xpsnb_m1710/pd.aspx?refid=xpsnb_m1710&cs=22&s=dfh

have you benchmarked your machine to see if you are getting comparable results to others on the net, there are some limited feature ones like Furture Mark.

Something isn't right with your memory setup.....can you change this in the bios.

What is your "Free" memory set to before loading ww2ol

what is avail memory.

Dell XPS M1710

Display Memory: 1656 MB <-------------------

Dedicated Memory: 248 MB

a)

Your running 32bit OS so you should be ok , you have limit to 4GB IO addresses

Normal Memory = 3326 + 248 dedicated is still well under the 32bit limit of 4GB address space.

You will see a dramatic improvement if you change the "shared memory" down to 0 In my humble opinion and give that memory back to the game O.S

In my guess. try it test it tweak it.

* Try reduced textures if slow with 0 shared memory

* Try turning page file off as well while testing if you are getting long "pauses" in game when approaching towns etc.

* if you find the game crashes with 0 page file try the low game memory option.

B)

Also Double Check AUDIO is set to "HARDWARE", may be an obvious miss on a laptop.

c)

Do you know how much physically memory you purchased with the laptop?

if its 4GB you may want to think about a 64bit operating system.

If you want to play games, your probably better off getting a gaming desktop. The problem with laptops is that you cant upgrade them worth crud. The way I have been going for the last few years is I buy the mid grade. For instance, when the Nvidia 200 series came out, I didn't buy the 275 or 280 or whatever, I got the 260. The 260 is/was a damn nice card. The key is to upgrade before it becomes worthless. I sold it not too long ago for $120, and that money went towards buying a new one. I bought it new for around $220 or something. Same thing with my motherboard and CPU. I had an Intel E8400 with a Gigabyte GA45-UD3P. I sold that at the same time I sold my video card as a combo for $180. I also sold my memory for like $70. So add it all up and I had close to $400 to spend on a new rig, and was able to still use some of the stuff like my PSU, case, and DVD burner. I basically got a new computer for like $300 and I VERY RARELY if ever get below 30 FPS at 1920 x 1200. So I guess my point is never buy the best of the best unless you are made of money. The first computer you build should have some parts you can carry over for the next couple of builds. Right now an ATI 5770 or Nvidia 460 will do just fine. AS far as the CPU, a Phenom II 955-965 and a little overclocking and your good. If you want to take it a step furthur get an Intel I7 920 and overclock that a bit. The things you want to spend the money on are things you can reuse from build to build like a case, PSU, and monitor. As far as good places to shop, Newegg.com and Tigerdirect.com seem to be the best. If you already have some of the basics like monitor, DVD burner, and case,, you can build a computer that will run this game very well for cheap.

OK after saying that, their are some settings in Nvidia control panel you want to look at. Make sure your AA and AF settings are off. Change your texture filtering to high performance, and threaded optimization (if you have it) to off. That being said, you are not going to go from 5-10 FPS to 20-25 FPS with software changes. It is going to require hardware changes as well.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0