Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ZeroAce

So does the game use two cores or one?

41 posts in this topic

I want to know if I can set it to one core and fraps to the other core to improve in game performance while recording.

i think the game only supports 1 core at the moment. could be wrong though.

The game does support 2 cores in a limited way

http://forums.battlegroundeurope.com/showpost.php?p=5103772&postcount=30

The relevant sentence:

"We did find a couple of routines that had absolutely no external dependencies and that used an awful lot of CPU instructions and we parallelized a few of them. So you should be seeing some additional load happening on extra cores.

So while it's not 100% parallel, with 1.31 there are some stand-alone CPU intensive routines that can be sent to a second core for processing.

Yes it defnitely does make use of 2 cores OR at least puts itself on another core while your OS and other apps run off the first core.

I notice while in game that most of the time 2 cores are in use. You can assign apps to one of the cores that aren't in use such as core 2 or 3.

I've had some luck putting fraps on one core with all the windows stuff, and putting WW2oL on it's own core. Getting much more solid fraps FPS.

But I'd have to test it in a really big battle to be sure.

I believe Gophur's said in the past that three or more cores was his system-design recommendation.

We know, I think, that the game runs best with its own primary core, with nothing else on it. The OS and any other running stuff would be on another core.

I believe Gophur's said in the past that three or more cores was his system-design recommendation.

We know, I think, that the game runs best with its own primary core, with nothing else on it. The OS and any other running stuff would be on another core.

do this have to be set manually or does it happen automatically?

The reason 3 cores are the sweet spot, BE uses 2, the OS and everything else uses the third. This has to be set manually using affinities in the Task manager, but it is doable.

>> The reason 3 cores are the sweet spot, BE uses 2, the OS and everything else uses the third.

OS for own purposes used not so many CPU resourses to given to her whole core, unless you planing simultaneously download and zip tons of pixs from internet when play.

But I have one question about current BGE client.

1. When I direct my sight outside (right-about) of big (about 70-100 number or so) battle, fps on my system is 20-40 (depend on other factors).

2. And when I point my look in the middle of the battle being about 300-1000 meters from me, fps decrease down to 12-18 fps (also depend on other factors).

CPU loading in this case - mostly the same. So I had conclusion that bottleneck is not CPU.

In second case, even if between me and battle located big hill, wall, or just buildings and battleground invisible to me - fps still low.

Why BGE client still keeping count falling bodies, shots, tracers and etc, if scene anyway is not visible to me ? CPU loading is not grow up, or grow but not so strong, but videocard's reaction the same like that all battle before me in open and flat place.

>> The reason 3 cores are the sweet spot' date=' BE uses 2, the OS and everything else uses the third.[/i']

OS for own purposes used not so many CPU resourses to given to her whole core, unless you planing simultaneously download and zip tons of pixs from internet when play.

But I have one question about current BGE client.

1. When I direct my sight outside (right-about) of big (about 70-100 number or so) battle, fps on my system is 20-40 (depend on other factors).

2. And when I point my look in the middle of the battle being about 300-1000 meters from me, fps decrease down to 12-18 fps (also depend on other factors).

CPU loading in this case - mostly the same. So I had conclusion that bottleneck is not CPU.

In second case, even if between me and battle located big hill, wall, or just buildings and battleground invisible to me - fps still low.

Why BGE client still keeping count falling bodies, shots, tracers and etc, if scene anyway is not visible to me ? CPU loading is not grow up, or grow but not so strong, but videocard's reaction the same like that all battle before me in open and flat place.

sorry, by OS I was simply referring to the system processes viewable in the Task Manager

Why BGE client still keeping count falling bodies' date=' shots, tracers and etc, if scene anyway is not visible to me ? CPU loading is not grow up, or grow but not so strong, but videocard's reaction the same like that all battle before me in open and flat place.[/quote']

losblock.jpg

KFS1

>> Before-After.

Thanks.

Good explanation. Never thought before. Tons of other trash-shooters that I saw before disaccustom me thinking.

P.S. But also when I made long meditation on this picture, I begin understand why BGE graphic was sticking point within almost 6 years :):)

Edited by bagir

why is that solider pissing over that hill?

This is not question.

The question that still opened is: 'Why GPU (videocard) loaded and reduce fps, when player faced to the inivisible huge battle. CPU loading grow up too, but as I remember not so much. Who make trajectory calculation CPU or GPU.'

Edited by bagir

losblock.jpg

Next issue.

On the supposition that I'm looking on the big battle and structure or hill stay between me and this battle.

It is obvious that fps reduced. I looking to the battle and suddenly put my eyes to the ground, fps again drastically grow. Why ?

1. If CPU loaded because he is count every enemy's bullet that can kill me or falling near me and raise the dust, why fps such grow when I staying on the same place and just look down ? I do not think that nobody hit me when I faced opposite battle.

2. If, when I faced to the battle, CPU loading cos he counting possibility of my hits, why such load if I'm ever not shot ?

I just suppose than BGE client keeping count and send to the videocard for display all body and vehicles movies, tracers and bulet hits wherever observer stay - behind the wall or not.

May be this is way how really possible slightly boost performance.

Edited by bagir

the word core(s) is in this thread 28 times up to this point, including quoted posts and the one in this post.

Just thought ya'll should know.

Edited by werwolf

This is not question.

The question that still opened is: 'Why GPU (videocard) loaded and reduce fps, when player faced to the inivisible huge battle. CPU loading grow up too, but as I remember not so much. Who make trajectory calculation CPU or GPU.'

CPU makes the trajectory calculations. GPU is purely graphics (assuming it's a dedicated video card)

Since there is no definitive (or clear) answer from any of the Rats one can presume CRS don't know either ?

Next issue.

On the supposition that I'm looking on the big battle and structure or hill stay between me and this battle.

It is obvious that fps reduced. I looking to the battle and suddenly put my eyes to the ground, fps again drastically grow. Why ?

1. If CPU loaded because he is count every enemy's bullet that can kill me or falling near me and raise the dust, why fps such grow when I staying on the same place and just look down ? I do not think that nobody hit me when I faced opposite battle.

2. If, when I faced to the battle, CPU loading cos he counting possibility of my hits, why such load if I'm ever not shot ?

I just suppose than BGE client keeping count and send to the videocard for display all body and vehicles movies, tracers and bulet hits wherever observer stay - behind the wall or not.

May be this is way how really possible slightly boost performance.

It sounds like you are asking why if you can't see the objects, because they are occluded by objects, is the video card still doing work to render them?

I believe, objects that are occluded from your view are still rendered.

So if you look at a battle in the open you will have the same FPS if a building is obstructing your view of the battle. The computer doesn't take your view into account so everything behind the building is rendered and worked on.

Some games do view rendering now and it's a noticeable difference but it's a hard problem in this game. Maybe KFS1 knows more.

'Why GPU (videocard) loaded and reduce fps, when player faced to the inivisible huge battle. CPU loading grow up too, but as I remember not so much. Who make trajectory calculation CPU or GPU.'

CPU makes the trajectory calculations. GPU is purely graphics (assuming it's a dedicated video card)

I beg your pardon. My fault, I'm be unhappy in choice of words. Really I'm well understand what difference between CPU and GPU.

KFS1 just suppose that fps reduce because CPU makes the trajectory calculations. But when you see to the battle loaded GPU, not CPU.

So phrase 'Who make trajectory calculation CPU or GPU' should be read like 'when you draw trajectory on your picture you mean that CPU should be loaded, but de-facto loaded GPU and we have fps reduce'.

Also I'm understand that if KFS1 correct in saying overall performance down cos before me many bullets and objects with complicated trajectory and pathway so CPU loading grow up

But:

1. I did not saw overloaded CPU in the Task Manager.

2. Yes, if CPU strong loaded, overall system performance also going down (CPU and GPU are using shared system bus), and as result fps down too, but not several times.

3. Why BGE client do not count skirmish behind me. Why he stop calculate when I drop my eyes to the floor.

So I think eigenman correct - this is only cos client make rendering hidden objects.

No, the action behind the hill is not fully 'rendered'. I believe that you see a GPU hit even though the action is behind the hill because the GPU must still decide on every frame what polygons it needs to render... this means acknowledging and sorting every polygon that could possibly be seen, sorting them by distance, and deciding which polygons occlude others. That process takes GPU cycles... even though the GPU does not ultimately decide to render the heavy action behind the hill, it must do calculations on the massive number of polygons behind the hill to decide which polys are in front and which are behind to come to that conclusion.

A lot of effort goes into improving occlusion calcs to reduce the number of non-visible polygons that ever get touched by the GPU... but it is not yet perfectly efficient at doing this and so some cycles are burned in the process of weeding out that which cannot be seen. Your frame rate slump when turning toward the hill can be explained by this sorting of a large number of polys before a single pixel is rendered. If you climb to the top of the hill and look at the action then the frame rate will drop even more because now the GPU decides that after sorting, yes these are visible polys and so it must fully render all (or more of) the polys in that action.

Make sense? I am not a graphics expert but I believe that explains what you observe.

Edited by ui

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0