• Announcements

• HEAVY265

Crs Wants You!   01/18/2019

CRS is looking for some volunteer live support chat staff.  Are you up for the assignment?  If so,  please send an email with your interest to,  Jobs@corneredrats.com
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jgsup

"Normal Maps" Setting....

6 posts in this topic

Hello,

Can someone please explain what exactly is "Normal Maps"? I have this setting unchecked in my settings applet but, i'm not for sure if I am gaining anything by having it off or on. I can't seem to tell a difference in-game. Anyone?:confused:

Thanks in advance.....

If I remember correctly, not technical-wise, normal map basically decided if your terrain was going to be a "grainy" higher quality texture or a "smooth" one.

On the ground that is.

You would gain more FPS with it unchecked.

I could be mistaking for another option though.

Edited by panda1k

IIRC

Best way to think about a normal map is think of a small square mirror lying on a table. When light hits it from a certain angle the light then bounces off the mirror at an angle complimentary to the incoming angle. The normal for this surface would be a straight line extending from the center of the mirror and perpendicular to the surface (line would basically be straight through the middle of the mirror surface)

For computer graphics though everything is drawn in triangles or polygons. And so that you don't see every single polygon and triangle independently slight adjustments to this line (normal) can be made so that incoming and outgoing light reflects just a little bit differently than normal. The result of these minor modifications is a smoothing effect that blends the triangles or polygons together more naturally - its why a sphere looks like a sphere and not a bunch of polygons or triangles stiched together. As well, you can also use adjustments to normals to exaggerate the surfaces of a texture to give it more realistic depth. A normal map is what is applied to the surface so the graphics card can calculate these surfaces to appear more seamless and freeflowing - similar to a texture map in some ways.

I'd only expect performance impact on older cards, YMMV.

In 3D computer graphics, normal mapping, is a technique used for faking the lighting of bumps and dents. It is used to add details without using more polygons. check out the brick buildings with it off and then on, you'll see them pop a little more

Thanks all! I appreciate the clarification on this. I have an NVidia 9800GT w/1mgb Ram vidcard. So I guess I can leave this option enabled then?

Thanks all! I appreciate the clarification on this. I have an NVidia 9800GT w/1mgb Ram vidcard. So I guess I can leave this option enabled then?

yea a 9800GT ought to be able to just plow right through this game with out trouble.

if your lagging i'd look more at your processor. and remember Dual,Triple,quad and the new X6 processors can only access a single core :P

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0