Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bots

Anyone in here have experience OCing an E8500?

13 posts in this topic

I had an e8400 OC'ed to 3.6 stable with a 9x multi and right around 1.3v with 41c idle.

What kind of cooling are you running, and what temps do you get idle and load at stock?

Get a good baseline on your temps first. You never really want to just use settings that someone else has since there are so many factors to see what will work on YOUR system, such as case types, ambient temps, cooling solutions, thermal paste, etc.

Sitting on 3.9ghtz with mine at stock voltage. Just ramped the bus speed up to 411.

Temp is at 35C under load... but that's with a cheap water cooling system.

I can probably get better, but fooling with voltage to get a couple hundred extra mhtz isn't worth the trouble.

Edited by kamel

Just as a side note, if your VCORE is set to Auto, then its auto adjusting your voltage for the power needed for your increase. Sometimes the system doesnt know what the best voltage is, so when overclocking its always a good idea to set everything to manual, (AFTER thoroughly researching the capabilities of your hardware) and tuning the minimum voltage required for your overclock to run stable. It is also a good idea to try and make sure of the stability of the overclock on your ram before you push the CPU so you can rule out any memory errors if you BSOD or freeze up.

For example, with vcore on auto, it was adjusting my voltage upwards of 1.34 resulting in excessive heat and lock ups. I manually tuned it to 1.28 with the same settings and everything is fine.

Thanks for the responses guys. I want to set my voltages manually, but I was looking for some voltages from anyone that has the E8500. You need to bump the voltage up a little when you OC for stability, but the 45nm procs degrade pretty quickly if you go too high on the voltage.

I have a pretty sizable heatpipe/large fins cooler with manual fan control. I'm usually at 37C at idle, 43C under load, with the fan set at 40 percent.

Anyway, I think I'm going to pass on the OC. I'm at that point in the life of a gaming pc where you're not quite ready to buy a new system, but the one you have is getting long in the tooth.

Edited by bots

Thanks for the responses guys. I want to set my voltages manually, but I was looking for some voltages from anyone that has the E8500. You need to bump the voltage up a little when you OC for stability, but the 45nm procs degrade pretty quickly if you go too high on the voltage.

I have a pretty sizable heatpipe/large fins cooler with manual fan control. I'm usually at 37C at idle, 43C under load, with the fan set at 40 percent.

Anyway, I think I'm going to pass on the OC. I'm at that point in the life of a gaming pc where you're not quite ready to buy a new system, but the one you have is getting long in the tooth.

You shouldn't need to fool with the voltage for 3.8ghtz or so.

Mine is perfectly stable.

Well worth it for a 600mhtz OC.

E8500 OC'd 3.75GHz

Tower Heat sink with 120mm fan

Multiplier 7.5

Bus Speed 500MHz

Stock voltages

Make sure you run something like memtest to make sure ram is stable, and run prime95 torture test overnight too see If it crashes or gets too hot.

I'm running my E8500/ Gigabyte EP45-UD3P at 4.2GHz (440x9.5), but that's on water after several days of tweaking and testing, playing with clock skews etc. Vcore is 1.3375V, Vtt 1.24V. It's fully stable except it sometimes resets to stock speed when rebooting, haven't been able to figure out what causes this. The current problem is my memory (running at 1056) that overheats and gives errors, even though it's rated for 1066.

The overclock you can get depends on many things: if you get a good processor, motherboard type, cooling, memory. There are many factors that can limit the overclock, so you can't really just copy someone else's settings.

Here are some links I found helpful:

Intel-FSB-Over-Clocking-clock-skew-and-the-effects-it-has-on-system-memory.

Anandtech on T_rd

Technical read about termination/reference voltages

Specific examples of 8500 and GA-EP45-UD3P

Have mine @ 3,95 but its running very hot, good advice above about setting vcore manually. Need to tweak cooler also, having wrong airflow inside case.

Running on an old ASUS Commando.

Here's another link for you.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=544848

Maybe you can find your combination of mboard/cpu in this thread.

fwiw,

I did my first overclock on an E5300 after watching noxtek's vidoes on youtube. It worked great. I did a mild overclock to 3.3ghz but I think it may be time to try the 8400 or 8500 like you.

Here's the link in case you haven't OC'd before. He has several videos put together on overclocking a gigabyte board.

http://www.youtube.com/user/NoxTekDotCom#p/u/4/oaE9C1Vhqfo

thx guys! Actually, after all that, my raid controller/hd controller decided to die on me. I suppose I could try to find an add-on controller (if they even make those anymore), but I probably will not. So, at this point I'm going to address game performance by buying a new rig. I'm trying to decide if I want to salvage the vid cards, network card, and hard drives, but pretty much everything else may as well go in the dumpster.

That's the life of a PC gamer.

Edited by bots

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0