Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cjwilson

How viable is 3 screen support for WWIIOnline?

37 posts in this topic

I was planning to go to a +40in LCD TV, strictly for gameplay, but found the delay would kill gameplay.

So now Im willing to entertain adding 2 more monitors to my 27in LCD monitor. What additional hardware do I need to pull this off? Can WWIIOnline support this yet? If it works, what are the drawbacks other than the breaks between monitors?

This doesnt truly fix my issue of desiring larger images during play(I'd like to decrease my need to zoom in for shots on aircraft at more than 250m)...but hell, the increased preiphery is still a huge upgrade...especially it provide increased periphery while zoomed compared to single monitors.

Edited by cjwilson

I was planning to go to a +40in LCD TV, strictly for gameplay, but found the delay would kill gameplay.

So now Im willing to entertain adding 2 more monitors to my 27in LCD monitor. What additional hardware do I need to pull this off? Can WWIIOnline support this yet? If it works, what are the drawbacks other than the breaks between monitors?

I know a few are useing triplehead2go, Kamel I think is one.

I've had it cloned to my monitor via hdmi cable to my 47" tv just fartin around and did'nt notice any delay (game colors were much better too). But I realy don't have the tv setup for gameing as it's 25' from my desk and 90* to my normal setup....

I may have to fire the game up to check :)

I know a few are useing triplehead2go, Kamel I think is one.

I've had it cloned to my monitor via hdmi cable to my 47" tv just fartin around and did'nt notice any delay (game colors were much better too). But I realy don't have the tv setup for gameing as it's 25' from my desk and 90* to my normal setup....

I may have to fire the game up to check :)

I've asking around at two different Fry's and a Bestbuy...they either say I'll get ghosting and or nearly a .75 sec delay between action and display. They say you'll notice the image noticiably lagging behind the sound.

Its hard to get anything definitive about the drawbacks, unless I can get it straight from the horse's mouth by those who have or are doing it currently.

I'd love it if any others using a relativly new 1080p LCD TV of 40in or greater for WWIIOnline could hime in with any ssues they've noticed

In the meantime, I'd also look into the TripleHead2Go...thx

I guess it depends on the tv. My 47" vizio has no ghosting or delay that I can see, least with the game running offline.

Seemed in sync with the sound etc when used as primary monitor. Cloned to my monitor the tv seems in perfect sync with the monitor.

ATi 5000 Series cards with EyeFinity will do it right off the bat no problem

Just manually set the resolution to 5760x1200 (3x1920)

looks a little funky because its not officially supported by ww2ol but its the best you can get, looks spectacular on games that is it supported, we've been tossin (me and bud420) our Hann's G HG281D monitors together (i've got two, hes got another one) and playing dirt2,FSX and a couple other games that support it... lemme tell you its pretty sweet.

ati_eyefinity_battle_forge.jpg

090910-ati-eyefinity-03.jpg

2052d1257535207-ati-eyefinity-hd-5870-2gb-eyefinity-wild-ati_hd5870six_4.jpg

I've got a 5770, so it only supports a triple monitor span, if you X-fire them together you can get a six span, 5980's or something (the card pictured above mine) can do six,twelve,eighteen or twenty four monitor span!!

24panels.jpg

Triple head 2 go's are nice, but they are as expensive as buying two 5770's

might as well get top notch DX11 cards if your throwing 300$ at a device

I've used ww2ol on a 240hz tru motion LED tv, Televisions will never ever look as good as a real computer monitor will, unless its a 2560x1600 television at 47". it looks good, theres no ghosting on the 240hz drive televisions (its really a input @ 60hz and something funny happens to make it 120hz,240hz,600hz but there isn't any ghosting)

Those 240hz televisions still don't have s@#t on a actual 120hz 3D gaming monitor, those are better then CRT's period.

If you want a tv i'd go for a LED television with the 120hz/240hz transmission. and nothing else, i tried it on nates old tv before and it sucked.. it sucked hard. there wasn't any delay but the ghosting was fierce, made driving cars and flying planes almost impossible because you lost where you were going from the ghosting, but his new LED tv does it sweetely. although having a 1920x1080 resolution stretched out that far required some serious Anti Aliasing to resolve the jaggies from being upscaled. (good thing the Ati 5000 series cards do 32x boxed aliasing 24xMSAA)

Heres the price of the triplehead2go you'd want ~328.95

http://www.studica.com/products/product_detail.cfm?productid=60381&p_name=Matrox-TripleHead2Go-DP-Edition

or for that same price you can swoop up this seriously wicked card ~319.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814103119&cm_re=ATi-_-14-103-119-_-Product

Remember the video card you have now has to have the power to pump out resolutions that large to use a triplehead2go. that 5850 has 1,440 cores and 1024MB of GDDR5 memory... plenty enough to pump out three 1920x1080 monitors with as much aliasing as you can throw at it.. hell my 5770 will pump out three 1920x1200 monitors without breaking a sweat.

Edited by indo420

One of the new eyefinity capable cards is prob the way to go.

You need a beefy card to run triplehead anyway... so might as well cut out the middleman.

When I upgrade the vid card next I'll probably go straight to eyefinity and ditch the Triplehead2go.

So here is my specs...will they work for Triplehead2Go or Eyefinity?

WinXP Pro 32bit

Intel C2Duo e8400

Nvidia 260 GTX

4GB ram

I wont mention the sound card since its irrelevant...and you'll laugh :(

Eyefiniti is ATI only, you need an ATI HD5-series card for that.

As far as I know Triplehead2go works with the 260 but I have no idea how well.

So here is my specs...will they work for Triplehead2Go or Eyefinity?

WinXP Pro 32bit

Intel C2Duo e8400

Nvidia 260 GTX

4GB ram

I wont mention the sound card since its irrelevant...and you'll laugh :(

I have E8500 [OC to 4 ghtz], GtX260[216] OC to 750, 8 gig ram, Win7/64.

It's barely enough to run 3 x 24" at 5040x1050.

You might get away with three smaller monitors [like old 4:3 19" jobs] or similar.

Otherwise you're probably a bit underpowered.

I'm suspecting the GTX 260 is a bit underpowered for certain game elements at this resolution. [like zoomed in looking at lots of trees].

I'm thinking of going eyefinity as my next upgrade, so I can try running my 3 x 24"s at their native 1900x1200.

ah bugger!

well may be I'll start looking into the +40in LCD again...Im still waiting to see if any others have had good results with them.

ah bugger!

well may be I'll start looking into the +40in LCD again...Im still waiting to see if any others have had good results with them.

Depending on the resolution of the 40" LCD, you may find the same problem there.

I run a Triple head 2 Go with a GTX275.

All other system specs are reasonable so I get about 25-30 fps in big battle areas. Flying is usually a lot higher depending on altitude.

My thoughts where that with the Triple head I can always upgrade the Graphics Card as new ones become available and don't have to worry about multi display capability.

and have no issues at all with it in game with 1.3.1. Previously maps where all out of perspective and the view was stretched on the side monitors, but now it all look real good.

I only run 17" monitors with two cheap ones on the sides as they are not the primary view point.

Only issue is that triple head supports resolution 3840x1024 only. Not sure if the Digital /DVI version is any different.

It also means you don't have to worry about a game supporting multiple monitors as windows it just sees it as one very wide screen.

After playing for some tme now I love it but would say that if your into sniping etc then a better high resolution single screen would be beter to get that per pixel accuracy. Main aiming screen is effectivey 1280x1024,

But When flying it is great and pixel accuracy is not needed and SA improves as your views are almost like having the next side hat view selected permentnatly.

I will take the extra view area over accuracy.

Any way rust my 2p

It also means you don't have to worry about a game supporting multiple monitors as windows it just sees it as one very wide screen.

Eyefinity does that as well, but one some games the HUD can looked stretched if the perspective isn't set as well (forgot the geek word for that)

Eyefinity does that as well' date=' but one some games the HUD can looked stretched if the perspective isn't set as well (forgot the geek word for that)[/quote']

oh eyefinity's maximum resolution is 7680x3200

http://www.elitebastards.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=796:amd-eyefinity-technology-explored&catid=16:eb-commentary&Itemid=29&limitstart=1

You can also do "groups" which is two or three monitors put together, and have another set of monitors in another group doing something in and of itself. theres no image "splitting" every monitor is dedicated.

Indeed, at AMD's London press briefing we saw both H.A.W.X. and Battle Forge running on six 23" 1920x1080 monitors and DiRT 2 running on three 2560x1600 screens via a single next-generation hardware graphics board at perfectly acceptable frame rates,

I'm not sure how they do it, but it can pump extremely large SuperHD resolutions with out breaking a sweat.

Depending on the resolution of the 40" LCD' date=' you may find the same problem there.[/quote']

I thought they ran at a fix resolution...something like 1900x1200 or something. I run at a similar resolution with my set up no problem.

It would seem the Affinity is the way to go for ultimate multi screen at the moment.

But have to say I am a Nvidia chip convert so until there is a Nvidia card equivelant I will stick with the triple head, or hope they come out with a higher def triple head maybe.

Good posts and something for me to think about next time I upgrade.

I thought they ran at a fix resolution...something like 1900x1200 or something. I run at a similar resolution with my set up no problem.

depends on the television, some input at 1920x1080 and then scale it to fit the monitor, sometimes its a real strange resolution like 1849x1101 or whatever it may be. but the majority of televisions display true 1920x1080.

Another draw back of using televisions is they can't do every resolution in the book like a computer monitor can. 1920x1080 is what you get, some also do 720x480 along side 1920x1080. but thats about it.

Oh 1920x1080 = 16:9 aspect ratio, 1920x1200 = 16:10 ratio. 1200p monitors have a lil' bit more screen on the top and the bottom. while 16:9 is a true rectangle

I looked at the triplehead2go a while ago and (at that time at least) it only worked with analog (VGA) connectors and up to a pretty low resolution. For 3xlarge LCDs, I think Eyefinity is the only way. And I don't think Nvidia has a similar technology (they seemed to be focusing more on 3D).

I just set mine up. It's sweet! Although it's making me a little motion sick =P. Going to take some getting used to.

Edited by veruca

I just set mine up. It's sweet! Although it's making me a little motion sick =P. Going to take some getting used to.

lol watch tv in eyefinity.

oh racing games are crazy feeling

BTW. Track IR + Eyefinity = teh pwn

boy you almost don't need track IR while using infantry and EF lol.

boy you almost don't need track IR while using infantry and EF lol.

No, but its great for flying.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0